Poll: Which do you lean more towards (1 being fully mental 10 being fully emotional)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which do you lean more towards (1 being fully mental 10 being fully emotional)
Mental
12 24%
Emotional
38 76%
Voters: 50.
Hey pit.

When you listen to music, would you consider yourself more of a mental or emotional listener? Which do you lean towards when deciding what your going to listen to, which do you think you are more naturally attuned to.

For example. When I listen to Tool, it's for purely intellectual reasons. Tool doesn't cause any emotional response in me, but I find their music interesting. When I listen to blues however, it's purely emotional. It makes me feel happy and sad, but intellectually, it's boring.

EDIT : NOTE : Epically messed up the poll. Just pick which you consider yourself more likely to be.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Last edited by The_Sophist at Nov 5, 2011,
Neither, I'm a spiritual listener.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
If you mean mental as in how technically good they are, and emotional as the sound overall, then I usually listen "emotionally".

I respect the "mental" stuff more though...
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

Quote by SlayingDragons
This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

I mean, there's no straight-forward answer... I do both?

Read the edit in the OP. Which do you consider yourself to lean more towards.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
Read the edit in the OP. Which do you consider yourself to lean more towards.

Again, I do both. I find the music intellectually interesting as in the theory behind it, and I feel it. It's not really limited to any genre.

edit: Feeling doesn't have to be some soulful, orgasm-face-causing thing, it can be be incredibly depressing, mystical, reflective, mellow, anything.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Nov 5, 2011,
I don't sit there, listening to music going, "hmm, that was quite a nice triad there, oh an Amaj7? You've outdone yourself there sir, quality composition."
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by SlayingDragons
Again, I do both. I find the music intellectually interesting as in the theory behind it, and I feel it. It's not really limited to any genre.

Well, if you don't lean either way, guess you can't answer. I intended it to be a 1-10 poll, so if you were even you could pick 5ish, but for some reason only two of them showed up.

The series of tubes is hard.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
I listen to music that interests me. Being interested is an emotion, no? (Or, at the very least, a result of emotions.)
Quote by The_Sophist
Well, if you don't lean either way, guess you can't answer. I intended it to be a 1-10 poll, so if you were even you could pick 5ish, but for some reason only two of them showed up.

The series of tubes is hard.

I don't it's a matter of this or that, black and white. I do both and it depends on things like the song and my mood which I use more.

And I don't think they contradict each other either, both could be at a ten or a zero at any given time.
Quote by The_Sophist
Hey pit.

When you listen to music, would you consider yourself more of a mental or emotional listener? Which do you lean towards when deciding what your going to listen to, which do you think you are more naturally attuned to.

For example. When I listen to Tool, it's for purely intellectual reasons. Tool doesn't cause any emotional response in me, but I find their music interesting. When I listen to blues however, it's purely emotional. It makes me feel happy and sad, but intellectually, it's boring.

EDIT : NOTE : Epically messed up the poll. Just pick which you consider yourself more likely to be.

I wouldn't class Tool as particularly intellectual, I mean it's pretty clever at times but personally I find their stuff extremely moving, particularly the stuff off Lateralus. In fact, listening to Lateralus (the song) one time I was in tears, it was unbelievable.

Oh and I'm loving the term 'fully mental'. It really made me a chuckle.
Quote by The_Sophist
For example. When I listen to Tool, it's for purely intellectual reasons. Tool doesn't cause any emotional response in me, but I find their music interesting.

Wrong.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I guess I lean towards mental. I'm really both, though
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I'm an anal listener.
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
I think it's silly to classify which part of you is listening to music.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Nov 5, 2011,
Well I define music as good sound, with a rhythm, and melody. So emotionally.
Quote by jawwwws
Hey, Guys. Good News! Im Okay! Were Safe!

You're annoying already.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by jawwwws
Hey, Guys. Good News! Im Okay! Were Safe!

Thank goodness. We were worried sick about you. So the doctor was able to help you with your herpes?
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Most of my albums are instrumental electronic wizadry, rather than songs based on lyrics. When I hear a song with lyrics I just listen to the way the sounds work rather than what's being said. It just sounds like a voice sample rather than part of the song
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Nevermind.

**** you guys.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Well, sometimes I'll listen to even the most technical/deepest songs as background music and still get the same emotional response as if I'd just listened to a simple rock tune or something... I'd like to say I'm both.

Quote by The_Sophist
Nevermind.

**** you guys.

u mad?
Quote by The_Sophist
Nevermind.

**** you guys.

all im saying is 10k days (wings pt 2) brings manly tears under the right circumstances
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I'd probably listen to something like this more emotionally and this more mentally really.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.