Hello,

I was wondering if any of you fellow guitar players have heard of any interesting approaches to the guitar.

For instance, I saw a documentary in which Jack White was talking about dominating the guitar. It showed clips of him doing whatever crazy stuff to show that he had power over the guitar.

So do you guys have any cool similar thoughts/methods of your own, or have you seen or heard of anything interesting?
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
People put conscious thought into their playing?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193

Indeed, these people we refer to as "spastic mentalists".
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by necrosis1193

Maybe not so much playing, but how you regard it. I for instance know that many players name their guitar and whatnot, a little more endearing of a method than what Jack apparently does.
Quote by Saint78

I believe there's wood spirits in my guitar who will give me awesome riffs if they're pleased with me. So I try to please them by playing lots of awesome songs on my guitar.
I'm sure there's some Freudian reason on how the guitar is a phallic extension or some shit.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
I found this thesis this guy wrote once about music theory. I read about some studies researchers had done in the past to try and quantify the moods of different music beyond just hearing it and thinking "Wow, that was a very (insert mood here) song!".

They used control groups, got them to listen to various music and had them write down what moods they picked up from it. There were these tables (there were a few of them) that actually evaluated the emotional properties of music by entirely measurable means, like tempo, rhythm (steady or erratic), melody (complex or simple?), tone (texture), and pitch to give a few examples. I thought it was actually pretty interesting, and it gave me some ideas for some material of my own.

I looked for anything that said I couldn't legally upload it to UG, and I didn't find anything saying I wasn't allowed to. So, if anyone wants I could attach it to a post.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
I always thought of me and my guitar as having a sort of symbiotic relationship. The guitar can't make music without me man-handling it, and since I can't sing I need my guitar to make music. So we both need each other.
I play the guitar. I move my fingers around the fretboard and enjoy the shit out of it. Nuff said.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by JimDawson
Study Stuff

I would love if you could upload that. It sounds great.
Quote by Saint78

When I'm really in the zone on a solo, my brain shuts off, and I don't feel like I'm in control, because the lines I'm playing are things I've never even thought of playing before, and they're *perfect.*

So my whole quest is to let my mind go just enough at the right times, and to focus at the right times (usually when playing rhythm), and to someday hit a perfect quantum state of both focusing and not thinking.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by KirkMetallica
I play the guitar. I move my fingers around the fretboard and enjoy the shit out of it. Nuff said.

This.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I put sand in my guitar once as a way to portray it as a vast desert that I wished to conquer.

Quote by Trowzaa
I put sand in my guitar once as a way to portray it as a vast desert that I wished to conquer.

Why didn't you go the way of 'vast ocean'?
This probably sounds nuts, but I do believe there can be a psychological, mental approach somewhat to guitar.

Sometimes delving into the abstract of your consciousness you can find innovative ways to approach things, guitar or otherwise.

For example, certain methods of the occult tend to put great emphasis on intention. Intention can be amplified by how much symbolism is used in rituals etc.. Colors, sounds, smells the deeper you layer these things the greater power they have.

Its late , I'm tired, but I do believe there are deeper connections from the mind to the physical world. You can manifest things by intention and metaphor, symbolism, they have power.

There is more to everything than what we comprehend. Wow! I dont know what I'm trying to say. Truth is in the abstraction, not the finite, concrete five senses we learn to rely on completely.

I dont know never mind Y'all probably think I'm smoking something. Good night all !!!
i name my guitar
and i feel like if i take care of it it wont fail me at a show or would help me to write music and continue to be confortable

im also kinda known for taking really good care of my instruments and being one of the best players around here and i like to think that its becasue i take care of my guitars and got to know them as best as possible
once my freinds changed the strings to other than what i usually use and i noticed and they freaked out haha
Quote by pushingthrough
This probably sounds nuts, but I do believe there can be a psychological, mental approach somewhat to guitar.

Sometimes delving into the abstract of your consciousness you can find innovative ways to approach things, guitar or otherwise.

For example, certain methods of the occult tend to put great emphasis on intention. Intention can be amplified by how much symbolism is used in rituals etc.. Colors, sounds, smells the deeper you layer these things the greater power they have.

Its late , I'm tired, but I do believe there are deeper connections from the mind to the physical world. You can manifest things by intention and metaphor, symbolism, they have power.

There is more to everything than what we comprehend. Wow! I dont know what I'm trying to say. Truth is in the abstraction, not the finite, concrete five senses we learn to rely on completely.

I dont know never mind Y'all probably think I'm smoking something. Good night all !!!

Dude, I followed not a single word of that.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by triface
Why didn't you go the way of 'vast ocean'?

Because water would damage the guitar?

I make my improvisations each have a story of their own. All of my compositions revolve around personal experience and times in my life that meant something.

Ne me quitte pas mon chere.
Yes i do. I get high sometimes and blow it into my acoustic so she can be high too and we makr amazing music togethrr
Okay, here's that thesis:A Mood-Based Music Classification and Exploration System.

You kind of have to look for what I was talking about, but there's lots of other interesting stuff as well.

Oh, and pushingthrough's comments actually make sense, he just didn't explain it well. It's basically just using metaphor or some kind of patterns to explore music in weird ways you normally wouldn't think of. Like using Pi to write something, using each consecutive digit as a fret to hit on your guitar for example. Anything you can possibly imagine, really.

*EDIT* Apparently it's too big to upload to UG, so cut. However, you can easily google the name of the thesis at the top of my post and you'll find it just like that.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Last edited by JimDawson at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by JimDawson
Okay, here's that thesis:A Mood-Based Music Classification and Exploration System.

You kind of have to look for what I was talking about, but there's lots of other interesting stuff as well.

Oh, and pushingthrough's comments actually make sense, he just didn't explain it well. It's basically just using metaphor or some kind of patterns to explore music in weird ways you normally wouldn't think of. Like using Pi to write something, using each consecutive digit as a fret to hit on your guitar for example. Anything you can possibly imagine, really.

*EDIT* Apparently it's too big to upload to UG, so cut. However, you can easily google the name of the thesis at the top of my post and you'll find it just like that.

Awesome! Thanks.
Quote by Saint78

The only thing I can think of is thinking of riffs as shapes and forms rather than notes.

Like, not your standard scale kind of shapes, but shapes that shift when you bend a note a certain way, and strike a note a certain way.

It's kind of hard to explain, and it only really works with riffs that have a really strong groove to them.
I am a guitar.

I am a guitar.

I am a guitar.

I am a guitar.

I am a guitar.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I get attached to many items, my guitar is definitely one of them. I cringe even if the guitar barely taps the wall (like if I was playing and moved and it hit the wall). And the guitar I own at the moment is my first not shit, not used guitar so I try to take good care of it.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
I get attached to many items, my guitar is definitely one of them. I cringe even if the guitar barely taps the wall (like if I was playing and moved and it hit the wall). And the guitar I own at the moment is my first not shit, not used guitar so I try to take good care of it.

I always hit shit with my headstock and my headstock still looks brand new.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
lol naming your guitar. Who the **** does that?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash