Page 1 of 2
If a Cabinet has 400 watts and the head has 200 watts does that mean the total wattage it can put out is 600 watts? I was thinking about it and Idk because I'm not good with this stuff.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
No, the wattage of the cab is input wattage, meaning it can handle up to 400w. Your head runs a 200w, so you're running a total of 200w for your rig.
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
Thank you so would i blow the speaker out if i put a 600w head and cranked it all?
Yeah, don't do that.
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
Thank you, so if i do match up a 400w with a 400w it will be good even if i do crank it?
...what the?

I am genuinely lost as to what's going on in this thread.

Cabs are rated at what they can han handle, the wattage of your rig comes from your head, though depending on the ohm rating of the cab you may not get the full wattage of the head.

Apparently many modern cabs can take more than they're advertised at, but I wouldn't recommend trying it, it's a risky business and it's not worth blowing your speakers for a few more watts.

...but seeing as it's you, if you do try putting some sand in something, take pics and post them here.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I want to half report you.... Thank you for the help though.

cool beans
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Kilty Boxers
I want to half report you.... Thank you for the help though.

really? I may have called you a troll, but I never reported you. Reporting everyone for off topic thread jokes is just as likely to get you unliked.

Anyways, a 200 watt head into a 400 watt cab works, 400 into 400 works, but over time at cranked volume could prematurely wear the speaker out esp. in a 1x15 vs a dispersed 4x10 (most guitarists use vintage 30 watt speakers wired together so the can run say a 50 watt marshall head) , but for the time being and most times it should be ok, just not for years on continuous balls to the wall gain. As Gilly said your cab might be 400 watts at 8 ohms, but your head is 200 watts at 4 ohms, in which case you'd be running a 80-120 watt rig.

conclusion, For a solid state head, your cab must always be equal or less ohms, and equal or more watts.
Quote by askrere
conclusion, For a solid state head, your cab must always be equal or less ohms, and equal or more watts.

Pretty much nailed it.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Disagree on the equal too or less than ohms on the cab. If you have an 8ohm head that isn't rated to go down to 4ohms, you'll kill it by using a 4ohm cab.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Btw Killerfridge how do you get that tone, it sounds like there is like slight distortion or something? (Referring to your video you posted)
Quote by Killerfridge
Disagree on the equal too or less than ohms on the cab. If you have an 8ohm head that isn't rated to go down to 4ohms, you'll kill it by using a 4ohm cab.

Yup. And in addition, cranking an underpowered amplifier leads to distortion and speaker damage.
Quote by Killerfridge

Yea sorry was late, meant more
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yup. And in addition, cranking an underpowered amplifier leads to distortion and speaker damage.

Actually, and interestingly, this is completely untrue. It's a common myth that underpowering a cab will somehow lead to speaker damage, but Bill Fitzmaurice (of Fitzmaurice cabs, who knows significantly more about the topic) disagrees:

Quote by Bill Fitzmaurice
To provide a final review of all that we have discussed on this topic, there are only two ways to damage a speaker: Mechanically and Thermally. The only way to do this is by applying too much input power in a given enclosure (mechanically) or too much average power over time (thermally). There is no DC in a clipped signal; the coil does not stand still; air passing over the coil (and thus cooling) is the same regardless of the waveform; and clipping is acceptable provided that the average power over time is lower than the speaker's limits. The next time you hear those famed words "your speakers died because of clipping", remember what you have learned, and above all, keep searching for the truth. It's out there somewhere.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Quote by Kilty Boxers
Btw Killerfridge how do you get that tone, it sounds like there is like slight distortion or something? (Referring to your video you posted)

Which video in particular - they all have slightly different sounds
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

The one with thee Sadowsky, Warwick and somethin else.
Quote by Nutter_101

Agreed, that's also a very good article.

I would also suggest reading this :

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1886
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Quote by Kilty Boxers
The one with thee Sadowsky, Warwick and somethin else.

The Sadowsky/Stingray/Thumb has no distortion - just the natural growl of the respective instruments - all played through a very clean amp setting
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Is there anyway i can get that with my P-bass that has EMG actives?
growl is usually a bridge pickup oriented tone, try boosting mids, dropping bass some and keeping the treble around noon.
It's not giving me that sound but that's prolly cuz i'm playing through 2 guitar amps
^ I had a Precision with an EMG pickup. You will not get any growl, nomatter how hard you try. Its just gonna be... smooooooooth. Maybe you should try putting sand an overwound passive pickup in it?
Some great links for answers. Maybe though, I am under caffeinated and grouchy today, but I believe the original answer for the OPs question can be found in the FAQ thread.

And I agree with Spaz, there's no way a Pbass is going to growl period.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
It's not giving me that sound but that's prolly cuz i'm playing through 2 guitar amps

And now you REALLY need to go back and read the FAQ about amps.
But I have jazz bass pickup in it.... Yes I'm aware you aren't suppose to use guitar amps, but Im saving up atm.
Well in his recording he was playing three very known for growl basses, you're bass is modded for a very clean very quiet almost sterile tone.

I had a Squier P, which was strung with new rounds, tone knob 3/4 towards the bassy side, and played through a fender BXR 200, graphic eq set in a goofy frown, bass and treble knobs set at 12 and notch (mid cut I know but with a mid boost) and bright switches engaged. Growled very well for a P.
Well thank you very much sirs! Would buying EMG's for my 5 string be a good idea?
Quote by anarkee
Some great links for answers. Maybe though, I am under caffeinated and grouchy today, but I believe the original answer for the OPs question can be found in the FAQ thread.

And I agree with Spaz, there's no way a Pbass is going to growl period.

And now you REALLY need to go back and read the FAQ about amps.

Then you haven't try a G&L SB-2. It growls like a lion.
so since we are talking about watts, i'll just ask some questions here.
i know basically nothing about bass amps, as i am a guitarist transitioning to bass, so excuse my retardedness

as far as amplification:
what would i need to jam with a drummer?
what would i need for a gig of 100?
for a gig of 200?
for a gig of 500?
for a gig of 1500+?

you dont have to answer all of them, but a general idea would greatly help me. it would help out if i knew lets say a 200watt head, with a 400w cab, so i can crank it for 200people or something....

also is this all in tube or solid state? i know in guitar there is a difference, tube is much louder
and do most professional bassists use tube amps like in guitar?
Quote by davem27
so since we are talking about watts, i'll just ask some questions here.
i know basically nothing about bass amps, as i am a guitarist transitioning to bass, so excuse my retardedness

as far as amplification:
what would i need to jam with a drummer?
what would i need for a gig of 100?
for a gig of 200?
for a gig of 500?
for a gig of 1500+?

you dont have to answer all of them, but a general idea would greatly help me. it would help out if i knew lets say a 200watt head, with a 400w cab, so i can crank it for 200people or something....

also is this all in tube or solid state? i know in guitar there is a difference, tube is much louder

for tube/solid state discussion: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494566

for wattage and stuff, it depends on the drummer but i think that between 75 or 100 watts, you should be able to jam... as far as wattage for x people venues, i can't help, cuase i don't know.

also, more wattage does not necesarily mean more volume. speakers are also involved there. and you'll have aproximately the double of volume betwwen x10 wattage amps. i mean 10watt amp is only half as powerful as a 100watt amp, "volumely" speaking... anyway, there's a lot of people aroun here that will be able to give better advice than me.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by davem27

First off lol, your not handing out an individual watt to each person in attendance. bass frequencies take more power to be generated, and overwhelm smaller wattage amps easier. Most places have PA support if they have regular live music events, so 200-400 watts is generally good enough, especially a starting musician who probably isn't playing for more than a small crowd. If you found yourself playing for over 200 people and their wasn't PA support, you might be underpowered, but it's a time to time basis.

TUBE AMPS ARE NOT LOUDER! a watt is a watt is a watt, tube amps sound pleasing at louder volumes and gain levels than solid state amps. Cranking a tube amp to 10 is a lot nicer than a cheap solid state amp, and this is why bass players use high watt amps, the more watts the more clean headroom, so the amps don't overdrive.
Quote by davem27

Why would you use a 200W head with a 400W cab? The head will probably only put out 100 watts to the cab (assuming the head is designed for more than 1 cab).
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Quote by Sudaka
for tube/solid state discussion: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494566

for wattage and stuff, it depends on the drummer but i think that between 75 or 100 watts, you should be able to jam... as far as wattage for x people venues, i can't help, cuase i don't know.

also, more wattage does not necesarily mean more volume. speakers are also involved there. and you'll have aproximately the double of volume betwwen x10 wattage amps. i mean 10watt amp is only half as powerful as a 100watt amp, "volumely" speaking... anyway, there's a lot of people aroun here that will be able to give better advice than me.

cool thanks. 75-100 is a lot of watts to jam with a drummer!
with guitar if the drummer isnt too loud, and you crank up a 50watt ss, it should be enough....maybe even with a 30watt ss; i had a vypyr im pretty sure cranked up would be enough.

and yea, im beggining to understand that 1000watts isnt even that much louder than 200lets say...
Quote by askrere
First off lol, your not handing out an individual watt to each person in attendance. bass frequencies take more power to be generated, and overwhelm smaller wattage amps easier. Most places have PA support if they have regular live music events, so 200-400 watts is generally good enough, especially a starting musician who probably isn't playing for more than a small crowd. If you found yourself playing for over 200 people and their wasn't PA support, you might be underpowered, but it's a time to time basis.

TUBE AMPS ARE NOT LOUDER! a watt is a watt is a watt, tube amps sound pleasing at louder volumes and gain levels than solid state amps. Cranking a tube amp to 10 is a lot nicer than a cheap solid state amp, and this is why bass players use high watt amps, the more watts the more clean headroom, so the amps don't overdrive.

haha well that was just an example...thats a good point with the PA....in that case a small of like 100watts would probably be enough no?

also, i always thought tube amps were louder
i might as well play solid state....tube amps are so much more expensive, and fragile!
Page 1 of 2