ive had a guitar for almost three years now and ive been trying to learn to play, but i keep fading in and out of interest can anyone tell me a way to practice scales and make it interesting or enjoyable, i think that is why i keep phazing in and out of practice because i feel like a drone just running up and down the scales for twenty-forty minutes a day thanks in advance
Learn simple songs first. That will keep you interest. Scales are boring and without context they don't do you much good. After you get some songs learned, scales and theory start becoming more important.
If you don't like learning scales right now, then don't, it's that simple. In the initial phases of learning the instrument, the biggest obstacle is going to be keeping yourself interested as you make mistakes and are introduced to the guitar. To that end, play what you want to play at this point to keep your enthusiasm up.

Then, if you're still interested later on and want to take it to the next level, you can engage in some of the stuff that feels like boring work at this point.
Quote by Nikki66
ive had a guitar for almost three years now and ive been trying to learn to play, but i keep fading in and out of interest can anyone tell me a way to practice scales and make it interesting or enjoyable, i think that is why i keep phazing in and out of practice because i feel like a drone just running up and down the scales for twenty-forty minutes a day thanks in advance

Put some Stringskipping into the Equation it should make it muchg more satisfying:

1) will make you concentrate more

2) you will memorize the pattern/notes/sound in a different way and you will memorize it better

3)It sounds way cooler so you will find stuff you can use on your solos.

Give it a try

e.g: up E - D, A- G, D - B, G - E

Also ask yourself why you are playing your instrument ? Visualize your goal ( be it anywhere from playing a song to playing for someone, composing, becoming a legend, anything) when you are frustrated or unmotivated.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 6, 2011,
What the above have said: Don't bother practicing scales as patterns. Understand what they are. Not play them as they are.

Just start learning some songs you like.
Last edited by triface at Nov 6, 2011,