Never had this problem till recently. I had a set of Cleartone 10-46's on for 13 months straight that lasted up until I took them off and put new ones on, the whole while dropping from standard E as far as Drop A. I'm your stereotypical nightmaretard when it comes to changing up tunings, which is why I don't have a trem anymore. Constantly ****in' with it.

Had a set of Elixers on a few months back, high E string snapped going from Drop C to standard E. Not that drastic of a change tbh. Always change tunings nice and slow, giving strings adequate time to stretch out and get used to their new tension. I thought it might be the elixer that snapped was just a friend of mine's bad luck since he was the one tuning it up to E. Well not but ten minutes ago I just snapped another High E, this one being a 12-52 set of DR's, the ones sprayed blue for all the appearance junkie kids out there. I just liked how it accented my blue quilted maple top.

For the record it's an Agile Al-3100 with a graph tec nut. Every time my high e snaps, it's always bout a milimeter or two past the nut. I carefully examined the nut, no jagged ends or anything. Nice clean break on the string. HALP.

I would've guessed my bridge woulda been the first piece of hardware to start slicing my strings apart but guess not. Any clues? Shitty strings, too much tuning change (which never affected it before), improper setup, wrath of god? I'm not replacing em till I figure out exactly why they snapped, I normally don't buy cheapass strings, and I sure shit won't make that mistake again. >_> $12 for strings that last for a year, or 13$ for strings that are sprayed blue which scratches off after 4 hours of play anyway and snaps in 3 weeks. -rage-
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I'm wagering that it was the tuning up from drop C using a relatively thick set of strings. I used to do that all the time but I haven't broken a string for like...3-4 years now.

For what it's worth I use D'addario 10-52 + .62 for the low A string. This is on a 26.5" scale length 7 so there is still a reasonable amount of tension.
Had a feeling. :/ Problem with that is I can't just ask what gauge strings would suit me better, you guys have no idea how I play and I have no method of showing you, and even so it's still personal preference; leaving me with the process of trial and error. Seeing as I'm always broke, I can't afford to keep buying different gauges. Once I get a set, I'm stuck with em. Ah well, I knew when I strung em up they were going to kill me, it's been years since I played anything thicker than a 46.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
From drop C to standard E. Seeing as it's the little guy that snapped, it was only going up one step from D to E. 24.7" scale.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
You absolutely need to be able to go between the two? I would just take a little more time in switching tunings. I know you said you do, but maybe try with a longer period and go up gradually?

When I string my 7 up with a high A sometimes I usually give tune up very little and give the string 20 minutes between every few cents.
Next time I'm just setting it up in E and leaving it there, only alternating between E and drop D. Tired of always screwing around with it. I spend more time tuning than I do playing.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.