I was fiddling around in a music shop today and I finally got to try out an AC30 (c2x) . I was actually blown away by how loud it was at first, it was only playable when I had the master volume at one or so! It's a shame because I've been wanting an AC30 for a while - I mean I still love the sound and all, even at a low volume it sounded great. Problem is currently I don't have gigging opportunites, infact my band isn't even complete. So would you guys consider an AC30 to be too ridiculous for just playing with friends in my garage? I might be able to start gigging in the future so having the AC30 prepared for that would be great. Opinions?
West Ham United
Nope. If you ever see yourself gigging or jamming then you should have the rig ready to do so. Like you said, you can turn it down when you don't need all the volume.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
^Nope. Ac30s are loud amps. Watts does not equal volume. Ive gigged alot with a 15w amp without being micced. Depends on venue and amp and the AC30 is more than capable of getting loud enough to make you deaf.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I would be all for getting it anyway but my dad told me that he thinks the AC30 is too loud to bother buying. I disagree with that and yeah basically I just needed reassurance. Another thing I'm curious about, I hear that usually venues simply mic the amp into a PA. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a loud amp?
West Ham United
Depends on how they set up stage volume. Ive seen venues have a PA setup but only a monitor for the vocalist. You still need to be able to hear yourself at gigs and rehearsals and won't always want to mic it. Plus, if you like the tone then you need that amp. Period. Its about getting the sound you want. And tell him they make amps now that actually have a knob that adjusts the sound to the level needed.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I'd consider it to be fine if you could easily turn it down. For one thing it's not like you're buying a stack, it's still an easily portable amp. You could mic it up at gigs depending on the stage setup and the size of the gig.

I'd say it'd be a great amp, as it's good for the garage and stageworthy!
Excellent points, I'm sold on getting an AC30 now . Also, to save me the trouble of making another thread, where do you guys sit on the C2 vs CC2 argument? I can't hear a difference with the rectifiers and apparently the CC2 has design flaws. I'm leaning towards the C2.
Quote by pinheadslts75
It isn't too loud, but it's as loud as you'll ever need.

Great way of putting it.
West Ham United
^^I would agree with everything except easily portable. They are fairly heavy amps.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by King Donkey
Excellent points, I'm sold on getting an AC30 now . Also, to save me the trouble of making another thread, where do you guys sit on the C2 vs CC2 argument? I can't hear a difference with the rectifiers and apparently the CC2 has design flaws. I'm leaning towards the C2.

Great way of putting it.

Play both, see which you like better. Thats my opinion on it anyway. Don't know if either had any quality control problem but that might be something to look into. Other than that, I would just go for which sounds best to you.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
^^I would agree with everything except easily portable. They are fairly heavy amps.

Eh they're heavy but not to a point of being completely absurd. You could move it around somewhere such as your garage without too much effort. Also, if you're going to be transporting it elsewhere, you would usually be doing that with a bandmate.
Quote by bluestratplayer
Play both, see which you like better. Thats my opinion on it anyway. Don't know if either had any quality control problem but that might be something to look into. Other than that, I would just go for which sounds best to you.

Problem with that is in Australia there isn't a huge variety of amps to fiddle with in guitar shops so being able to hear one then instantly switching to another is a bit out of the question. Apparently the wharfdale speakers are awful anyway, you can never go too far wrong with the celestion greenbacks in my opinion.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Nov 6, 2011,
^I don't see them as heavy but I have to lift heavy things all day at work so Im just going on the fact that alot of people bitch about carrying around a 70 lb or so combo.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by King Donkey
Eh they're heavy but not to a point of being completely absurd. You could move it around somewhere such as your garage without too much effort. Also, if you're going to be transporting it elsewhere, you would usually be doing that with a bandmate.

Problem with that is in Australia there isn't a huge variety of amps to fiddle with in guitar shops so being able to hear one then instantly switching to another is a bit out of the question. Apparently the wharfdale speakers are awful anyway, you can never go too far wrong with the celestion greenbacks in my opinion.

Or Celestian Blues. They are teh shiz IMO.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Oh definitely. Far too expensive for me though, the regular greens alone has taken a while of saving up.
West Ham United
yeah. There is a Ac30 with the blues in it here used going for $1000. I can only imagine how much that would go for in Aussieland.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Actually I just thought of something else which happened while I tried out the AC30C2X - it picked up radio signals! Can I get some clarification on what the hell happened and how it could be fixed incase it happens when I do actually get an AC30?
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
Actually I just thought of something else which happened while I tried out the AC30C2X - it picked up radio signals! Can I get some clarification on what the hell happened and how it could be fixed incase it happens when I do actually get an AC30?

thats usually bad grounding or the guitar not being shileded well or badly gounded also happens wih single coils more
I was playing with a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and if I recall correct it happened when I played with the Standard too, but I've forgotten. Could have just been the traditional. I don't know the technical terms, what do you mean by grounding and shielding?
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
I was playing with a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and if I recall correct it happened when I played with the Standard too, but I've forgotten. Could have just been the traditional. I don't know the technical terms, what do you mean by grounding and shielding?

well some connections dont have the best power supply to keep a constant current and that comes out sounding as noise
also some guitars dont have the electronic shelded from the outside world which is full of radio waves and stuff which can get into you signal and come out thorht the amp as noice and buzzinf etc.

i once sheilded a guitar with copper tape thta would pick up noises from the compter

but yeah that usually doenst happen with the amps(or at least amps ive tried) and can change depending on where you plug it in
Oh I see thanks for the info. I was just so shocked when I began playing in the soundproof room and heard a local station playing electronic music.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
Oh I see thanks for the info. I was just so shocked when I began playing in the soundproof room and heard a local station playing electronic music.

of course were all here to help an learn and good luck on your amp buyings ive wanted an ac30 for years
if you like its sound even at low volumes, go for it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nah. its way better to get something loud now then wait. even if you don't need the volume at the moment it'll work out a lot better for you when you start playing with your band and you can actually hear yourself.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
30 Watts is a good way to go if you're doing band stuff, but also using the amp at home.

30 Watts easily handles gigs without a mic generally, but obviously can be miced up.
And at home you can bring it up to 2 (maybe 3) on the volume without destroying your house.
I have a ENGL Savage in my bedroom, thank god for master volume knobs .
Gear:

Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-String
Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
You are competing with the drums. That's the determining factor and the only determining factor apart from tone. If you don't mike up the amp for the FOH mix you are a total noob and probably should have just stayed at home in the garage.
An AC30 will get over a drumkit quite nicely and sound good doing it. Great amp. If you like its tone buy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Unless you desire power tube breakup, no amp, and I mean NO amp is too loud. They stick volume knobs on there for a reason. I can run my 100w tube head and 4x12 at a bedroom volume and STILL get a great sound. It sounds better turned up, sure, but it's still good for normal usage.

Don't let wattage scare you away, it's all about the tone it gives.