im really new to getting amps. wanna save up for a marshall. but i have no idea where to start or what i need. i gig probably a few times a year. and practice with a band. so it needs to be loud and it would be a sole gig amp. i got my gibson and all the pedals and pickups the only thing missing from my killer line up is the amazing amp. im currently running a peavy vypyr 30 any ways how much is this gonna cost and what should i get. i want a zakk wylde type sound if that helps
Is there a specific reason that you NEED a halfstack? Unless you have a pretty good budget ($1000 minimum), you're not going to get much good in the way of a Marshall half stack. (Don't even mention the MG halfstack). What is your budget roughly, where are you located, and what kind of gigging situations do you play at? Can you be mic'ed?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
If you're after a Zakk Wylde sound, go for a JCM800 combo. You can find them cheap used.

You don't need a half stack to be heard, despite people's misconceptions, a combo can sound as good or in some cases better than a half stack and have plenty of volume on tap.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Ahh im an alright player as far as everything. but i love jammin all i do is play guitar. so i mine as well get a great amp i got the great guitar. i dont want to put truck hubs on a farrari
The Vypyr should give you a great metal tone and lead tone, maybe you're just not dialing it in right?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
The Vypyr should give you a great metal tone and lead tone, maybe you're just not dialing it in right?

This. I don't think it would be necessary to spend money on a stack for a brand name for one thing, and it doesn't sound like you need it.
if you can't afford a marshall right now then [perhaps a Peavey Windsor head and and whatever bottom you can afford. the Windsor is basically a JCM 800 style head.
Quote by jedke
Ahh im an alright player as far as everything. but i love jammin all i do is play guitar. so i mine as well get a great amp i got the great guitar. i dont want to put truck hubs on a farrari

i think that analogy might be back to front

but regarding marshall... anything worth buying is gonna set you back maybe £1200 (if you're in the UK). At least as much if not more in the US.

Those are new prices, obviously.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for his tone get a JCM800 as people have said. i'd say expect to spend about 800-1000 for a combo.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Do yourself a favor and open up your mind to other brands of amps. Now Marshall puts out some amazing amps, but they are VERY expensive - to get a genuine Marshall.

I was in your shoes awhile back - many of my favorite bands used Marshalls with a wall of full-stacks behind them onstage. So I thought I needed a Marshall stack, and bought an MG 100HDFX halfstack. At first I thought it was a decent amp - though I had a Valvestate Combo previously that sounded better, but just wasn't loud enough for playing with friends.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the MG was not a "real" Marshall, and sounded like utter shite if I turned it up to stage volumes. So I started messing around with tube amps. Thinking I didn't need anything quite as loud as my MG, I looked at tube combos.

I finally settled on a Peavey 6505+ 112, thinking it would probably be loud enough for playing with friends and would sound better than my Marshall. I was wrong. It BLEW MY MARSHALL AWAY - and it only has 1 speaker. I have no doubt that I could drown out a drummer with this thing.

Some people say that tube amps are the same volume as solid states when the wattages are the same - I beg to differ. My MG was 100 watts, running a 4X12 cabinet. My 6505 is 60 watts, 1 12" speaker. It's MUCH louder than the Marhall - in fact, I seldom turn the volume above 2.5 - I'd go deaf in a hurry.

The point is, you don't need a tube halfstack - it would blow your house apart, literally.

If you really like the Marshall sound, look into some other British-voiced amps from Orange, Blackstar. They make affordable combos that sound great for a lot less than a Marshall.
A good Marshall stack? Around $3000. Probably cheaper if you go used.

I mean, you could also look into the Marshall MA, that would run ya about $1200 new for a halfstack, but it won't sound as good as the real thing. Also AVOID THE MARSHALL MG AT ALL COSTS!!!! That thing is not a real Marshall, it's a fucking toy.

Understand that Marshall isn't the holy god of amplification. There are a shitload of other brands worth looking at that will give you what you want for cheaper, and in some cases better: Orange, Laney, Jet City, higher-end Peavey, Carvin, Blackstar, Bugera, so many other affordable choices. You can also go used and open up your options even further.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Grab a Jet City. Those things can munch cunts... if you get my drift....

Really?

No other adjectives came to mind?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Grab a Jet City. Those things can munch cunts... if you get my drift....

They take Big Muffs really well?
The price for a Marshall Halfstack varies depending on the model.
The good tube models start with the JCM 900 with a 1960cab being the cheapest. (about 350 for the amp and 300 for the cab should be possible) which is a total of €650,-

For €800,- you can buy a JCM 2000 DSL50 with the 1960 cab, which gives more versiality than the JCM 900.

Then you can buy a Vintage Modern, or JVM. But they are too new for good 2nd hand prices.
The old ones are much more expensive (2203, plexi etc) but you also may find a 2 channel JCM 800 for about €600,-
Together with the 1960 cab you come to a total of €900,-

As you can see, there are a lot of possibilities, it all depends on your budget and needs!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
My Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt half stack cost me £1100 in total I think. I only bought the half stack because the combo sounded shit. But half stacks do look cool, but they are a massive pain in the arse to get around :/