So, I got my new amp a while ago, and one thing that bothers me that I can't get a pinch harmonic ring properly without using the neck pickup and putting the treble to 10. But when I do so, the amp makes a hellish noise. And when I use a noise supressor, it mutes tapping and legato notes and the harmonics. With my old amp pinches sounded perfect. But im wondering if this happens because the new amp is a tube amp, and I know the they don't work well with bedroom volumes, or do I just have to practice more. Like I said, with the old amp eveything was perfect, I can hear the pinch without an amp, so I don't think its my technique.

And Is the noise just a thing that amp's do, or have I set something wrong? I mean, I never hear the noise in live shows.

Thanks for help.
Quote by telemetal
Which two amps do you have? Old/New?

Old is a Roland Cube 15X, the new is a Peavey 6505+112 combo.
the noise could be coming ifrom the connection try pluggin it into other plug that dont have things connected to them

and harmonices are usually a technique thing but try using the bridge pick up as thats best for getting harmonics to sound betrer
Quote by telemetal
...the shit? A 6505 should have no trouble with pinches. Guitar?

Oh yeah, that's the other problem. My guitar is a Ibanez s420, which is a good guitar...

...but it has INF pickups, which are widely known as the worst pickups in the world. And I don't have money to buy new ones.
INF's aren't great, but are far from terrible. What sort of settings are you using on the 6505?
Try using a new cable and plugging straight to the amp.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Wait what?

Oh wait Bridge pickup. sorry for that...

I usually keep the presence below 5, the resonance over 5, Treble somewhere between 5 and 7, Mid at 10, Bass between 1 and 5 and gain from 7 to 11. But I change them alot, that's just the most usual. I tend to play with Treble 10, mid 0 and Bass 10 setup sometimes.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I tend to play with Treble 10, mid 0 and Bass 10 setup sometimes.

mid is power .. no mid = fail
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by guitar/bass95
Oh wait Bridge pickup. sorry for that...

I usually keep the presence below 5, the resonance over 5, Treble somewhere between 5 and 7, Mid at 10, Bass between 1 and 5 and gain from 7 to 11. But I change them alot, that's just the most usual. I tend to play with Treble 10, mid 0 and Bass 10 setup sometimes.

Haha that makes sense

All I can suggest is to try a new cable, wiggle it around to see if the inputs are sensitive. If that fails then you can try and turn the volume up really loud (just for a few seconds) and see if the amp improves. If it doesn't you'll need to take it to an amp tech.
Quote by Dellinger1988
mid is power .. no mid = fail

Yeah but it sounds cool...

Quote by Guitar Shushi
All I can suggest is to try a new cable, wiggle it around to see if the inputs are sensitive. If that fails then you can try and turn the volume up really loud (just for a few seconds) and see if the amp improves. If it doesn't you'll need to take it to an amp tech.

Well, I get free repair from the store, but I have to send the amp to germany... Ill see what I can do with It now, thanks everyone for help.
6505's are middy as hell, so even with mids at 0, you'd still have a lot of midrange in there I daresay. Just take it to a shop, try it with a different cable, and your guitar, different guitar and your cable etc, just troubleshoot it till you can find what the hell is wrong
Quote by telemetal
6505's are middy as hell, so even with mids at 0, you'd still have a lot of midrange in there I daresay. Just take it to a shop, try it with a different cable, and your guitar, different guitar and your cable etc, just troubleshoot it till you can find what the hell is wrong

Ok, thanks for help, I'll try that out.
pickups will affect your pinch harmonics to some extent. On my Carvin I can grab a juicy harmonic on either pickup, but with my LP it's VERY difficult to get one to ring out properly on the neck pup. Gotta hit it perfectly. Either guitar can ring out fine on the bridge.

I really doubt it's your amp. Pinch harmonics are almost all in your technique, and guitar / pickups.

That being said, this hellish noise you mention.... can you describe it? feedback? high pitch whine or squeal? Static-y sounding? May help isolate the problem.

Is the amp new, or buy it used? could have a microphonic tube either way.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes