What is best to use for pulloff's and hammer on's..
Your pinky finger or your ring finger?

Thanks
not sure if you're serious...

wouldn't it depend on which fret you're trying to reach...?
it depends which one is stronger and which ones is more comfortable to use for you. Say check out Paul Gilbert and his pinky and then check out some other guys like Satriani or something, they use the pinky a lot but not as much as Paul does and not the same way either
Depends on the situation. Sometimes I use either or. For instance if the hammeron's only one note up, I'll use my ring finger since it's a little tough for me to cram my pinky one note above a fret my index finger's fretting, but I have no problem pinky'ing if it's one note above my middle finger. Whereas if it's two notes up, not a chance of my ring finger hitting it without my wrist feeling like it's gonna pop outta my hand unless my index is fretting past the 10th fret.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Yeah man learn both, there will come a time where the pattern of hammer-ons/pull offs will require you to use both.
If a piece is fairly easy, i'll use my ring finger. If its sort of 10notes across two beats or something retarded i'll use my pinky because its a) more accesssible, b) results in being able to play the pattern faster than if you only used the index, middle and ring finger.

Take a look at slash, he'll nearly always use the ring finger. But anything that gets tricky he'll swap to his pinky for more control.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Oke thanks!

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear.. I mean a pulloff/hammeron between like fret 1 and 4..
It seems more comfortable to do it with the pinky, but I see a lot guys doin it with their
ring finger..
Quote by seventies7
What is best to use for pulloff's and hammer on's..
Your pinky finger or your ring finger?

Thanks

Good practice in strength building is to assign a finger per fret.

So trills on 5-8 will be ring and pinky.
6-8: middle and pinky.

6-7 will be middle and ring.
etc..

Ring and pinky is a good one.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 6, 2011,
Make sure you can hammer-on/pull-off with all of your fingers. Make sure you can hammer-on from nowhere or left hand tap with all of your fingers too, this will definitely help you out in the future.
you're a stone fox
Quote by seventies7

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear.. I mean a pulloff/hammeron between like fret 1 and 4..
It seems more comfortable to do it with the pinky, but I see a lot guys doin it with their
ring finger..

These guys probably didn't bother training the pinky because they just wanted to play fast quickly. The pinky, when trained up, is just as good as the ring finger, and reaches far further. So practice all equally!
Dude, where's my band?