So, being that 7-string pickups are designed with the low 7th string in mind, it makes sense that for passive 7-string pickups, you should be able to get clearer sound on the low string than you would on a heavily down-tuned 6-string.

However, does this also apply with active pickups? Would a 7-string with an EMG 81-7 tuned to Drop A sound clearer on the low A than a 6-string with an EMG 81 tuned down to Drop A would? Technically, if the 6-string had a thick enough string, shouldn't it sound the same... being that active pickups deliver a flat frequency response? Or is there something fundamentally different about the 7-string pickup even when it comes to actives?

Thanks.
Actives don't necessarily give a flat frequency response. The 81 tends to, but even the 85 and 60 sound quite different. Also, I've never used one so don't quote me on this, but I believe that the 81-7 is reasonably different so it's not likely that an 81-7 with a drop A 7 string would sound the same as a drop a 6 string with an 81. Would probably be reasonably close though.

Basic point is that 7 string versions of active pickups ARE designed differently, just as 7 string versions of passives are because they have to take the 7th string into account, while still trying to hold true for the original 6 strings.

In terms of clarity, I think it's sort of a 3 pronged thing: between the pickups, the string gauge and the guitar's scale. And of course the woods used and stuff like that will also factor in to it a bit.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Polepieces. They're the catalyst in what the pickups actually do. In a 7 string pickup the polepiece specifications are a little different to project a magnetic field that results in the sharpness and attack you would need to take some kind of pitch from a heavy string such as a 7th. A 6th downtuned to drop A is going to be muddy as all hell since the pickups aren't designed for that much motion on the string. Too narrow of a field, so not much voltage is generated at all. The string's moving in and out of the field on either side, so you get very little response.

A 7 string pickup is designed with a wider field in mind, so the string spends more of its' motion-time within the magnetic field generating more voltage, thus a more accurate sound. Actives will affect your sound in the exact same manner that active 6 string pickups affect a 6 stringer versus passives. A sharper, not necessarily harsher but more punchy responsive sound.

edit:: at least in theory. I hope I don't get shot for that if I wind up wrong. pretty sure I'm not wrong though.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
If you're using a thick enough string gauge, I don't see why a 6 string tuned that low would sound flubby.

I have an RG 570 with a Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire set that I've tuned as low as a drop Ab and it sounds fine.
Varies from person to person, axe to axe. My old ibby hated anything below C, and so does my agile, even with 52's. my old RR4 took drop B pretty well though.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I see, thanks for the replies everyone!

One of the reasons I ask is because I really like Drop B-flat and plan to use this tuning for a few different songs I will be recording, and I was just wondering if it'd be worth it to keep my 7-string tuned up a half step to Drop B-flat or just use one of my six-strings tuned down to Drop B-flat.

Any input on that? Thoughts? Comments? I want clarity in the low string, but I see plenty of people tuning down to Drop B-flat with a six string and still have very clear response.
I have my first 6 string electric (a cheap LP copy) tuned down to Drop Bb with what I believe is a set of 10 - 46 strings. The guitar has been upgraded with a seymour duncan SH6/SH2jazz combo and it sounds great. The strings are very loose though. I don't normally keep it this low, I'm just playing some in flames!
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
It seems like the biggest factor is just string tension .
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X