I went to a show last night to see some metal bands and it was pretty darn loud. Now my ears are still ringing since last night. Is this bad? I'm just wondering as I didn't wear ear plugs, and mostt people there didn't either so they must be feeling the same way. This has happened before, where I have ringing for a day or so, then it goes away, and it's also definitely quieted down since post-show last night. Just wondering if I should be concerned or is this natural? I also go to shows rarely, last time was in september.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
You need to wear earplugs. It'll probably stop this time but you can get tinitus and then it'll never stop.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
Earplugs. I don't care if they're not "cool" to you, the volume level at concerts IS loud enough to give you permanent damage, there's no need to hurt your ears.

I bet you'll be fine today. But if you keep this up, you'll regret it badly.
Im experiencing the same thing after a gig on friday, Im going to wear earplugs from now on though, apart from preserving your hearing they also improve the sound as they cut out some of the distortion.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by Kevin19
Earplugs. I don't care if they're not "cool" to you, the volume level at concerts IS loud enough to give you permanent damage, there's no need to hurt your ears.

I bet you'll be fine today. But if you keep this up, you'll regret it badly.

Oh the only reason I didn't wear earplugs is because I forgot to bring them, and nobody had any to spare. I take this seriously, and I rarely go to shows, so I really am going to wear earplugs at every show I go to.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Congratulations, you have permanent hearing damage!

The ringing will likely go away by morning, but you still will have damage your hearing. If it's the first time you've experienced this, it likely wont be noticeable, and it isn't anything you should worry about.

Wear earplugs from now on, though. Repeated and extended exposure to volume levels like that leads to serious damage. I know from experience, and it really doesn't take that much. It might sound silly, but you wont realise you're killing your ears until the damage has been done.

Before I started wearing earplugs I did know about the danger of high volume (or high pressure, really) but I didn't realise the severity of it. I had been warned, and always planned to get earplugs but I kept procrastinating because I didn't realise how important it was.

I haven't been to the cinema in a while, but I think even the volume that gets to would make me pretty uncomfortable now.
Also to me I feel like I can hear everything just fine right now, there's ringing, but it's not 'clogging' up my hearing?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
There are people commiting suicide because of this noise, because it get's too harsh.

Earplugs. Always.
Hmm. I think I'll start wearing ear-plugs.
I've never had a ringing, but I remember coming out of a gig temporarily deaf. I went to ask the guy for my bag at the cloakroom and I felt my lips move but there was no sound.
That was funky. Fixed itself.

I think I'll invest in some.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by thePTOD
Also to me I feel like I can hear everything just fine right now, there's ringing, but it's not 'clogging' up my hearing?

You'll be fine, especially considering you said you're pretty serious about protecting your hearing.
Quote by Butt Rayge
You'll be fine, especially considering you said you're pretty serious about protecting your hearing.

Alright cool. Like I said, I haven't been exposed to this much loudness since september. Plus I'm careful in other areas (almost never blast ipod, wear plugs/keep volume lower during band practices, etc)
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
I have tinnitus, but i still scored 100% on doctors hearing test. I think that it was good for me to get tinnitus. It was like a wake up call that if i dont stop to listening to music on high volumes something bad is going to happen.
this is a normal symptom of going to a metal concert
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Quote by jani92jani
I have tinnitus, but i still scored 100% on doctors hearing test. I think that it was good for me to get tinnitus. It was like a wake up call that if i dont stop to listening to music on high volumes something bad is going to happen.

are your ears ringing 24/7 or just occasionally?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
the ringing is ur cells in ur ears dying enjoy it while u can its the last time you will be hearing that frequency... at least thats what it said on children of men
Quote by DIFTWOOD
the ringing is ur cells in ur ears dying enjoy it while u can its the last time you will be hearing that frequency... at least thats what it said on children of men

I think it's an urban myth/old wives tale.

Not sure though, it could be true. I just think it seems like one of those made up cautionary tales.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Im experiencing the same thing after a gig on friday, Im going to wear earplugs from now on though, apart from preserving your hearing they also improve the sound as they cut out some of the distortion.

Agree with that sound improvement. The sound will come clearer with earplugs.

But yeah, the noise level in concerts is almost always over 80db and that's when you should use earplugs. One concert won't be dangerous but if you go to concerts like every week and never use earplugs you will get deaf much faster.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
this happened to me last month, went to a show and i was right in front of the stage the entire night. my ears were ringing and my right ear felt clogged for about 2 or 3 days after that. it eventually went away, but next time i go to a show i'll try not to stand directly in front of the speakers or wear ear plugs if i do. just be careful, if this is the first time it has happened to you it should go away in a few days.

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Thanks pwnadgebunny. I just want to make sure that one isolated incident won't destroy my hearing. I'll 100% be careful from now on.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Ouch dude. Hope that gets better, tinnitus sounds like a huge fucking pain in the ass.

I'd hate for anything to happen to my ears
Against Me! wrecked my hearing and definitely made me think twice about going to shows sans ear protection. Especially after reading this thread, I'll invest in some earplugs soon