So about half an hour ago I picked up the guitar the first time today and started playing Comfortably Numb as warm-up. About halfway through the second solo I started thinking how easy my picking felt all of a sudden. When I looked down at my pick I noticed that I had gripped it sideways by accident, meaning I had the pointy end of my pick sticking towards my palm. I use 1.14 Dunlop Gators. I have a couple of smaller picks so I tried using them instead but didn't quite get that same comfortable feeling. I know that people say that you should hold the pick the way it feels most comfortable to you but this feels wrong somehow. Is it ok if I start holding it like this permanently? My picking has never felt this easy and pitch harmonics come out a lot easier too.

Thank you in advance, answers are appreciated
A lot of people grip their picks that way. Go for it.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
You'll get a little duller attack because it's a more rounded edge but as long as your mechanics are good it wont hurt anything. I do the same thing from time to time to get a smoother sound. If you look at the Dunlop jazz I and II as opposed to the III's they each have a rounder tip.
Quote by WuGuitarist
You'll get a little duller attack because it's a more rounded edge but as long as your mechanics are good it wont hurt anything. I do the same thing from time to time to get a smoother sound. If you look at the Dunlop jazz I and II as opposed to the III's they each have a rounder tip.

When I said I tried smaller picks jazz I & II were exactly what I meant