Hello there. I wanted to record a few covers of songs to upload on youtube.
I bought amplitube 3. But it didnt work well. I installed an ASIO but a I still had a lot of noise and latency. I have a Peavey Vypyr 15 and it has a Headphones out/Record out but when I try to record through that, the quality sucks. Its too digital. So is there any cheap solution to get 'ok' quality recordings? I have a Yamaha Pacifica 012 BTW. I saw a couple of behringer usb audio interfaces. They're pretty cheap. I really dont need much inputs. I just need to record my guitar. So.... Would getting a camera with 720p video recording solve my problem? Will the cameras sound quality suck?
HELP!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Hello there to you too,
I'm a student at Metalworks Institute, I think I may be able to solve your problems lol
Few questions for yea, what kind of computer do you have? and what's your price range.
I have the same question/problem. I tried almost everything I found, including routing the signal from "Emulated DI out" out of my Marshall AVT50 straight to mic input on my PC, but the overdrive channel always sounded horrible. So I'm looking for advice, too.
Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted By intwernet
I have the same question/problem. I tried almost everything I found, including routing the signal from "Emulated DI out" out of my Marshall AVT50 straight to mic input on my PC, but the overdrive channel always sounded horrible. So I'm looking for advice, too.
Thanks in advance

Cool! Good luck to both of us. My Clean channel is pretty good but the Distorted channel sucks.

Originally Posted By JDJBrooks
Hello there to you too,
I'm a student at Metalworks Institute, I think I may be able to solve your problems lol
Few questions for yea, what kind of computer do you have? and what's your price range.

I have a Windows PC.
Pentium 4 2.60 GHZ processor
512 MB DDR 1 RAM
64MB integrated graphics.(Dont know if that matters)
Stock Sound card.

Pretty old PC. And Price? I'd say somewhere below 50$-100$. I just need the cheapest solution. And I would be happy if i get kinda good sound quality!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Nov 6, 2011,
Very cheap solution that's worked for me before was using a 1/4inch to 1/8inch adapter and plugging straight in to my computer and using either Garageband or Pro Tools 9** (preferably Pro Tools lol). There are tons of cracked versions of Pro Tools that you could get (although I recommend buying it because it's awesome), and their stock speaker simulator/ amp emulator (Sans Amp) is not bad at all. I've used it tons of times for recordings when I'm just jamming and I'm too lazy to set up my mics.

**Make sure you get 9, because earlier versions of Pro Tools require that you use their hardware.
Will that help me record high quality clips? I use reaper which is also a DAW just like pro tools. And what about distortion and effects
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
The effects can all be done in the DAW, and if you are good at mixing then even with a bad soundcard you can make it sound good. Just remember, don't record it at too high of a level, this way it won't clip, and it leaves you room to play around with the mix
So many dumb answers in this thread.

Don't waste money on anything else, Amplitube 3 is exactly what you need - you just need to sort out your ASIO issues.

Your PC is more than acceptable for low-latency recording - a 2.6ghz pentium is fine although you might want to set the quality in Amplitube to 'mid' or even 'eco', just for stability's sake.

First of all, how exactly are you getting your signal into the PC?

You need to be either using an interface (which you can get for as low as $12 delivered), or plugged into your PC's line in (NOT mic in) with a 1/4" > 1/8" adapter.

Secondly, I assume you tried using ASIO4ALL?

The basic settings it starts with are completely unsuitable. You need to click the little wrench in the right corner to open up the advanced options and make sure you've got the correct inputs and outputs selected, then adjust the buffer sizes as small as you can without the sound becoming distorted. I'd recommend starting with it around 160 on your system.

Your panel should look something like this:

Although on your PC it'll probably say something involving 'AC97' instead. As you can see, you just want the output and line input selected.
Quote by JDJBrooks
Very cheap solution that's worked for me before was using a 1/4inch to 1/8inch adapter and plugging straight in to my computer and using either Garageband or Pro Tools 9** (preferably Pro Tools lol). There are tons of cracked versions of Pro Tools that you could get (although I recommend buying it because it's awesome), and their stock speaker simulator/ amp emulator (Sans Amp) is not bad at all. I've used it tons of times for recordings when I'm just jamming and I'm too lazy to set up my mics.

**Make sure you get 9, because earlier versions of Pro Tools require that you use their hardware.

Please refrain from mentioning illegal ways to obtain software. Ultimate-Guitar does not support such actions and as such, it is against the rules.

I will give you a free pass on this one, since you're a new user and probably didn't know better, but next time, you will receive a warning.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok I dont have a usb interface, so i connect my guitar to the computers line in.

IN-32 Samples
OUT-32 Samples

Hardware buffer - ON(When I turn it off, Amplitube doesnt work at all)
Always resample - ON
Buffer Size - 128 Samples

The problem with amplitube is that after I strum the guitar, I get to hear the note through amplitube(Lots of latency though) followed by an interval of a lot of noises. Lots and lots of noises. And when I play chord formations and all, after 1 or 2 seconds, My chords get dissolved in the massive amount of noise. So I got tired and I uninstalled amplitube. Still have it on the CD.

Yeah I do have an AC'97 realtek audio driver.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Nov 6, 2011,
Bump
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
Ok I dont have a usb interface, so i connect my guitar to the computers line in.

IN-32 Samples
OUT-32 Samples

Hardware buffer - ON(When I turn it off, Amplitube doesnt work at all)
Always resample - ON
Buffer Size - 128 Samples

The problem with amplitube is that after I strum the guitar, I get to hear the note through amplitube(Lots of latency though) followed by an interval of a lot of noises. Lots and lots of noises. And when I play chord formations and all, after 1 or 2 seconds, My chords get dissolved in the massive amount of noise. So I got tired and I uninstalled amplitube. Still have it on the CD.

Yeah I do have an AC'97 realtek audio driver.

1) Turn the 'in' and 'out' down to 0!
2) Turn 'always resample' off
3) Turn hardware buffer down to 2ms or so
4) Turn main buffer size up to about 160
5) Turn amplitube down to 'eco' mode
6) Make sure the only things lit up in ASIO4ALL are line input and the main output
If you want to get any kind of decent quality recording, this is the most important question in this thread:
Quote by kyle62
how exactly are you getting your signal into the PC?

If you want quality, you're going to have to pay for it. You need an interface. Even a cheap one is better than trying to plug straight into your PC.

You don't get nothing for free.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by amithkallupalam
Hello there. I wanted to record a few covers of songs to upload on youtube.
I bought amplitube 3. But it didnt work well. I installed an ASIO but a I still had a lot of noise and latency. I have a Peavey Vypyr 15 and it has a Headphones out/Record out but when I try to record through that, the quality sucks. Its too digital. So is there any cheap solution to get 'ok' quality recordings? I have a Yamaha Pacifica 012 BTW. I saw a couple of behringer usb audio interfaces. They're pretty cheap. I really dont need much inputs. I just need to record my guitar. So.... Would getting a camera with 720p video recording solve my problem? Will the cameras sound quality suck?
HELP!

Digital has nothing to do with your tone. I hate when people label something "digital sounding".
Without a cab, your amp will have no frequency cuts and the sound will sound too sharp. You need to enable a cab simulator.
Quote by GaryBillington
If you want to get any kind of decent quality recording, this is the most important question in this thread:

If you want quality, you're going to have to pay for it. You need an interface. Even a cheap one is better than trying to plug straight into your PC.

You don't get nothing for free.

This^

Definitely read through everything in this thread.

Plugging directly into the soundcard is not the way to go. A cheap interface like the M-Audio Fast Track or something similar wouldn't break the bank but would get you on the right track if you're on a tight budget.
Originally Posted By Kyle62
1) Turn the 'in' and 'out' down to 0!
2) Turn 'always resample' off
3) Turn hardware buffer down to 2ms or so
4) Turn main buffer size up to about 160
5) Turn amplitube down to 'eco' mode
6) Make sure the only things lit up in ASIO4ALL are line input and the main output

Ok i did all that and here is the result. I tried the hardware buffer with 10ms and 2 ms and its both the same. Here is a vid that demonstrates my problem.

http://youtu.be/tO3xYMUtBRA

Now, If i get an interface, Which one should I get? I dont need a lot of preamped inputs. One or Two max. USB would be great. And low noise for the price.

Budget is like 50$-70$. I dont need an amp simulator software because i already have Amplitube 3 And Reaper. I need something thats really cheap.

Thanks.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Nov 9, 2011,
Hows the behringer GUITAR LINK UCG102
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
Ok i did all that and here is the result. I tried the hardware buffer with 10ms and 2 ms and its both the same. Here is a vid that demonstrated my problem.

http://youtu.be/tO3xYMUtBRA

Now, If i get an interface, Which one should I get? I dont need a lot of preamped inputs. One or Two max. USB would be great. And low noise for the price.

Budget is like 50$-70$. I dont need an amp simulator software because i already have Amplitube 3 And Reaper. I need something thats really cheap.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're recording with the mic, which is playing through the speakers and feeding back into the mic. Make sure you're not using the mic as your input. If that's all you have, it's obviously not going to sound very good, but make sure you wear headphones so the speakers don't feed back into the mic.

As for an interface, the Fast Track would be adequate and quite cheap. But look around, read reviews, and make an educated decision. I personally have the cheap-o Pro Tools Recording package that comes with the first Fast Track, and while the version of Pro Tools included is complete garbage, the interface is all I needed for the time being and it's served me well and will continue to do so until I upgrade and need phantom power and better mic preamps.
Do I need an ASIO for an interface? Im really thinking about getting the behringer.. Will it help?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Originally Posted by cjmabry
Sounds like you're recording with the mic, which is playing through the speakers and feeding back into the mic. Make sure you're not using the mic as your input. If that's all you have, it's obviously not going to sound very good, but make sure you wear headphones so the speakers don't feed back into the mic

No I wasnt using a mic. First I connected my guitar directly to amplitube. Then I miced my amp with a dynamic mic so there is absolutely no way that could happen. Then I tried it with my vypyrs Record out. I have the same problem when my guitar isnt even plugged in!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Its either the UCA 222 or the USG102. Which one is better? Almost the same price.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
don't buy those if you really want decent recording get a better audio interface. The best advice i can give you now is practice those chops and save a little money and buy something like line 6's gx or ux1...and alot of youtube...
Quote by amithkallupalam
Its either the UCA 222 or the USG102. Which one is better? Almost the same price.

The UCG102 is the one you want. It's obvious that you're on a tight budget and don't have any need for an amazing level of quality so I don't see the point of getting something more expensive at this stage.

Don't pay full price for the Behringer branded version though, you can get the generic version on ebay for $12: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-USB-Interface-Link-Cable-MAC-PC-Recording-new-/290608169419?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43a998c1cb

Identical hardware, just cheaper since it comes straight from the factory in the far east I guess. I use one and I've never had anyone complain about my guitar tone!

Also Chris, I know what you're getting at, but I've recorded tons of tunes straight into the soundcard without an interface and it's always sounded fine.
Here's an example of a mate's band I recorded using the line in and an adapter for all bass and guitars (ignore the crap mixing, it was a long time ago): http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/stubborn-monkey-you-wish

And also, here's a more recent one using the generic eBay interface I posted above: http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/asparagusnow
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 9, 2011,
Quote by binting
don't buy those if you really want decent recording get a better audio interface. The best advice i can give you now is practice those chops and save a little money and buy something like line 6's gx or ux1...and alot of youtube...

Ok so the thing is, the line 6 gx doesnt have a headphones out and the ux is way outta my budget. All i wanna do is record a few songs to upload on youtube as covers. And all I have is 70$. So if those interfaces really suck, I wont get it. But if they will work, Which one should i get? M-Audio Fast Track doesnt have any cheap interfaces now. I think they've discontinued it. So there are 4 interfaces I think are under my budget. The

Behringer Guitar Link UCG102
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx
Behringer U-Control UCA202
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx
Behringer U-Phono UFO202(Has a built in preamp or something)
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFO202.aspx
Behringer U-Control UCA222
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA222.aspx

And dont worry about how i gonna plug my guitar onto the uca's. I'll use a few adapters.
Please help guys, Im dying to record. I really dont need mind blowing quality. And it shouldn't make a lotta noises.

Will i get quality somewhat close to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0K5rHGqsFU ?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by kyle62
The UCG102 is the one you want. It's obvious that you're on a tight budget and don't have any need for an amazing level of quality so I don't see the point of getting something more expensive at this stage.

Don't pay full price for the Behringer branded version though, you can get the generic version on ebay for $12: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-USB-Interface-Link-Cable-MAC-PC-Recording-new-/290608169419?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43a998c1cb

Identical hardware, just cheaper since it comes straight from the factory in the far east I guess. I use one and I've never had anyone complain about my guitar tone!

Also Chris, I know what you're getting at, but I've recorded tons of tunes straight into the soundcard without an interface and it's always sounded fine.
Here's an example of a mate's band I recorded using the line in and an adapter for all bass and guitars (ignore the crap mixing, it was a long time ago): http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/stubborn-monkey-you-wish

And also, here's a more recent one using the generic eBay interface I posted above: http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/asparagusnow

Dude I live in india so there is no way im gonna get that.
Let me see if i can ship it somehow. If its costlier than the behringer, ill get the behringer it self. Thanks.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by kyle62

Dude thats pretty awesome but how will i get it in india?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Unfortunately you dont get that in india. So i guess im gonna have to get the behringer version itself.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny