Is there any real difference of using a 4x12 speaker cabinet instead of a 1x12 speaker.
I mean, you mic it up and you only place the mic at one speaker.

And as far as 'hearing yourself on stage' goes, you've got monitors and 1x12 will still put you above drums and bass, besides sound onstage shoulnd't be all that loud.

So combining those theories the only difference it would make would be the sound of a 4x12 cabinet blasting into the audience ontop of the PA.

Eh yeah, I hope you can make anything out of my messy english and messy story
A 4x12 will handle lower frequencies better than a 1x12. It will project better normaly.
And it "looks" better.

If you are always being miced a 1x12 will be just fine. It really comes down to prefrence.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Nah man, your English is good!

I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the wattage of the speaker. To my knowledge a lot of 12-inch speakers are less than 100 watts in power, so putting a 100-watt tube head into, say, a 75-watt speaker would blow it. And most heads just look more normal atop a 4x12 cab. xD I don't know much about speakers and stuff, but that's my two cents.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
as mentioned the 4x12 does have better projection and sound dispersal as well as bottom end response. the better the PA the less need there is for that but not everyone has a great PA. for many small bar gigs a 1x12 is fine. once you get to the outdoor ones then a larger cab may work better. the 4x12 is really more of a hold over from the early rock days when PA's were crap and there was no monitor system. and yeah they do look cool.
412 are bigger, more heavy and push more air, therefore they sound ''bigger''.
Gear:

Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-String
Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
wattage and the size of the cab determines the reflections which are picked up by the mic.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by MrBlob
Is there any real difference of using a 4x12 speaker cabinet instead of a 1x12 speaker.
Absolutely! For the past several months I've been going through a shitload of frustration trying to get a "full" sound out of my Krank 1x12, and haven't been able to with the original speaker in it. I replaced the speaker now and it sounds much better, but the original one had a HORRIBLE midrange spike and sounded harsh and thin, like it was being played through a horn loudspeaker. Listen to the one uploaded MP3 on my profile and you will see what I mean; it was recorded before I replaced the speaker in that cabinet (the original was an Eminence Legend, it now has a Celestion G12 T100).

2x12's and 4x12's have a much better bass and low-mid response to them, and give the speakers more breathing room. While they technically won't be louder than 1x12's, they will certainly project out more and increase the range that the sound is well heard (think of setting up 4 stereo speakers in 4 different directions as opposed to 1 speaker in one direction).
i strongly believe you should be matching your cabinet to the size of the stage/venue you're playing, and really what size cab you use for which size venue is a matter of preference that may also be determined by what genre of music you are playing.

the reason? well, i'll take it to the extreme. take your little in-ear headphones you get with an mp3 player or something, put them in your ear and listen to music. then take them out of your ear and you'll notice that pretty much immediately they sound very very thin, and extremely quiet. this applies on a larger scale too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
yes.

the tone is different.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
yes.

the tone is different.

i couldn't have put it better myself
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i know blomp.

everyone gets all technikal with the long posts about air and space etc.

it's not audio rocket science.

they sound different, period.
I know the overal tone of a 4x12 compared to a 1x12 is different, but in a situation where you mic your speakers up to play any gig you only put the mics infront of one of the 4x12's speakers. Am I right? Shouldn't that technically be the same as micing a 1x12?

Unless ofcourse the 4x12 doesn't equally disperse the amps input into all the 4 speakers (like using 4 times a 1x12 stacked together), or that the other 3 speakers and the cabinets construction effect the soundwaves going to the mic a bit (although very little I assume)

Not trying to be stubborn or anything just curious.
Quote by MrBlob
I know the overal tone of a 4x12 compared to a 1x12 is different, but in a situation where you mic your speakers up to play any gig you only put the mics infront of one of the 4x12's speakers. Am I right? Shouldn't that technically be the same as micing a 1x12?

no.

different tone.

internal space, different backpressure on the cones etc etc etc.

just no. it's not.
Quote by MrBlob

Unless ofcourse the 4x12 doesn't equally disperse the amps input into all the 4 speakers (like using 4 times a 1x12 stacked together), or that the other 3 speakers and the cabinets construction effect the soundwaves going to the mic a bit (although very little I assume)

Not trying to be stubborn or anything just curious.

yes it's different.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by gregs1020
no.

different tone.

internal space, different backpressure on the cones etc etc etc.

just no. it's not.

Your getting all scientific, be careful.

More speakers adds a lot of depth to your sound. 2x12 FTW! What you can do, is mic up two different speakers. Say a V30 and a K100. This balances them out for an amp that is pretty balanced as well.

Also, women think your half stack directly represents the girth of your penis.
Sorry I'm confused :s Doesn't your postcount on the UG forums and the amount of wattage your amp has also increase your penis size?
Number 1 reason I use a 4x12 is feedback. That's about the interaction between strings and speakers and has zero to do with FOH sound or monitoring. Nothing pulls infinite sustain feedback like a wall of speakers. There are times that I wished I had two 4x12's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MrBlob
Sorry I'm confused :s Doesn't your postcount on the UG forums and the amount of wattage your amp has also increase your penis size?

only if your les paul doesn't have a pick guard.

TS - no.
I find 4x12 some time to be an overkill. The sound could be too bloated which makes it hard to listen to yourself when playing with a band.

On the other hand, 1X12 usually lacks of 'body' and depth.
and can sound harsh when when playing chords and ryhthm.
Another speaker usually tends to soften things up.

In my opinion 2X12's is the way to go.

My gear
The 412 cab has more open area inside. This gives the magical tone fairies more space to spread out, and fill the rooom with awesome rock tones. If they're too cramped, then they get all hot and exhausted, and start crying. This is why a 112 will sound brighter. True story.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
The 412 cab has more open area inside. This gives the magical tone fairies more space to spread out, and fill the rooom with awesome rock tones. If they're too cramped, then they get all hot and exhausted, and start crying. This is why a 112 will sound brighter. True story.