I never noticed until I started cranking up the volume a bit to play in a band, but when I play, there's this fuzzy noise that starts up when I play and then it dies down when I mute the strings. I'm playing an Epiphone LP Special II through a Micro Cube, which of these do you think is the problem? I suspect the pickups, but I don't know crap.
Okay, then. Guess it's time for a new guitar, because my tuners stay in tune for like five minutes at a time and the wiring is coming loose inside. Added with this fuzz issue, I don't think it's such a bad idea. :/
Not a bad idea at all. You can upgrade the Epi, but honestly it's not worth it. It's a beginner guitar, and you get what you pay for.

If you give us a budget and your location (city is most helpful), we can help you find the best deal.

EDIT: And what brands/shapes/neck profiles you like, and the stuff you like to play. That's important too. Best advice is always to go to a store and try everything you can to figure out for yourself what you like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 7, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
Not a bad idea at all. You can upgrade the Epi, but honestly it's not worth it. It's a beginner guitar, and you get what you pay for.

If you give us a budget and your location (city is most helpful), we can help you find the best deal.

EDIT: And what brands/shapes/neck profiles you like, and the stuff you like to play. That's important too. Best advice is always to go to a store and try everything you can to figure out for yourself what you like.

Yeah, it's probably better to just upgrade the guitar because, well, new pickups would cost almost as much as the guitar did, which is ridiculous. I mean, I love this guitar, but I think it is time to upgrade. I made a thread before about my choices for a guitar, but I'll restate it here: So my budget is around $700, and I live in Redwood City, CA. My primary choices at this point are the Epiphone Les Paul PRO/FX (for the trem and coilsplits, not to mention the finish) and the PRS SE Custom 24 for its renowned playability and the great sound. If I did buy the PRS, I would shell out the extra money for a coilsplit job as well.

But those choices are simply based on internet research, not firsthand opinions. I wish I had an idea of what neck size I like, because that seems to be a major factor. If anyone would like to suggest a model, I'll just put in that I like playing mostly blues, warm clean stuff, and some hard rock. That's why the LP has fit me for so long, I think.
I'd definitely recommend a PRS SE over an Epiphone. They aren't right for me, but they are great guitars for the money.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I'd definitely recommend a PRS SE over an Epiphone. They aren't right for me, but they are great guitars for the money.

Cool, I was leaning towards that direction because that's what everyone's been telling me anyways. Also, I don't really like the Les Paul body shape because the higher frets aren't very accessible. And it's heavy.

But I'm also curious, what do you mean they're not right for you? Soundwise or buildwise?
Does the prs have coilsplit? If you're not sure what you want, ever tried p90 pups? IMO p90s and mahogany make the best warm clean to blues to hard rock tone, try 'em if you can.
I've played a Les Paul just like you described and I can say it was one of my favorite guitars I've ever played that was less than $1200. They may be heavy, but thats just more wood for the sounds to resonate through and I think that makes for a better sound. Coil splits are great too. I can't give much of a word on the PRS though. I've never played one but I have heard that they are pretty awesome.
Quote by lucky1978
Does the prs have coilsplit? If you're not sure what you want, ever tried p90 pups? IMO p90s and mahogany make the best warm clean to blues to hard rock tone, try 'em if you can.

Nah, it doesn't have coilsplit, so I was gonna just get it splitted at the local shop. I don't trust GC. But that's something I haven't considered, those P90's. I'll take a look around.

And to Art Vandalay, thanks a lot, dude. Now I'm all unsure again. haha
I think the best way to decide this is to try them out, actually. And now I'm gonna be looking at P90 guitars, too... sigh... honestly, I just want them all.
You'll probably have to buy new pickups if you want a coil split feature. Chances are that if the stock pickups in a guitar aren't already coil split, then they are single conductor, and can't be coil split.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You'll probably have to buy new pickups if you want a coil split feature. Chances are that if the stock pickups in a guitar aren't already coil split, then they are single conductor, and can't be coil split.

Damn. Well, I can live with no coil splits.
Quote by Apples on Cacti
Cool, I was leaning towards that direction because that's what everyone's been telling me anyways. Also, I don't really like the Les Paul body shape because the higher frets aren't very accessible. And it's heavy.

But I'm also curious, what do you mean they're not right for you? Soundwise or buildwise?

If you can try a PRS se singlecut , i'm saying this as i own one and as far as taking abuse and staying in tune well it's really good. A les paul type design too i guess.

Or the 'SE 1' which i've been able to play on, they're pretty good.
Come on guys, don't tell him to get a new guitar straight off the bat. We don't even know if this one is actually broken yet. It could just be in need of a little maintenance.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Come on guys, don't tell him to get a new guitar straight off the bat. We don't even know if this one is actually broken yet. It could just be in need of a little maintenance.

Well, it's not broken, per se, just a little dinged up and screwy, but I'd like to get a new guitar anyways. :/
I just realized you were playing through a micro cube. Why not upgrade your amp while you're at it? $700 can go a long way on Craigs List.

Sorry, missed this
Quote by Apples on Cacti

Just the feel of them, and more importantly, the selection. I'm the type of person that sticks with one brand at a time. I'm an ESP/LTD guy. Their necks are just perfect to me, and they offer literally every type of shape. PRS guitars only have a few shapes, and very few of them are very suited to what I play (progressive death metal). I also look at a brands highest end models, since those are what I hope to own one day. ESP is just the best choice for me out of all the brands I look at. Ibanez is a close second, but again, I don't get along with their necks.

Anyway, enough about me... I found this.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2666299544.html

You can probably talk him down to $350. That's a pretty good deal. What kind of music do you play? To help with the amp finding.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
I just realized you were playing through a micro cube. Why not upgrade your amp while you're at it? $700 can go a long way on Craigs List.

Sorry, missed this

Just the feel of them, and more importantly, the selection. I'm the type of person that sticks with one brand at a time. I'm an ESP/LTD guy. Their necks are just perfect to me, and they offer literally every type of shape. PRS guitars only have a few shapes, and very few of them are very suited to what I play (progressive death metal). I also look at a brands highest end models, since those are what I hope to own one day. ESP is just the best choice for me out of all the brands I look at. Ibanez is a close second, but again, I don't get along with their necks.

Anyway, enough about me... I found this.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2666299544.html

You can probably talk him down to $350. That's a pretty good deal. What kind of music do you play? To help with the amp finding.

Dude, you're awesome. Thanks a bunch for finding that offer, I'll look into it. I'm not sure if I'm gonna go buy right at the moment, but I totally forgot about Craigslist for instruments. Very good resource that I somehow overlooked. Also, now I realize that I should really just try the guitars out, because it seems like the neck shape does affect a lot. I actually hate the neck on this guitar because it's glossy, so there's tons of friction and it hampers a lot of movement. That, and the bump for the bolton neck makes it hard grip the higher frets. I really like the satin neck on my acoustic, so I'll be looking for satin. I think both the LP and the PRS have satin necks, so instant sexy there.

I play mostly hard rock/blues, and I really like smooth and warm tones for both clean and distortion. I'm not super big on things with bite.
Last edited by Apples on Cacti at Nov 9, 2011,
Yeah, I almost refuse to play bolt on necks. I think they look really ugly, and they just make it hard to play up high (I actually do use the 23 & 24 fret) unless it's a well designed joint like the Ibanez AANJ.

As much of an ESP guitar guy I am, I am just as much a Peavey guy. There are tons of good options out there for what you want, so this is just what I know, and am familiar with, that I know will work well for what you want.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/2668178712.html This is a great deal, considering it comes with the extra power tubes. These amps are really great for the price. I want to get one of these for myself one day.

You could also check out a Peavey ValveKing... but they're not for everybody.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 9, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
Yeah, I almost refuse to play bolt on necks. I think they look really ugly, and they just make it hard to play up high (I actually do use the 23 & 24 fret) unless it's a well designed joint like the Ibanez AANJ.

As much of an ESP guitar guy I am, I am just as much a Peavey guy. There are tons of good options out there for what you want, so this is just what I know, and am familiar with, that I know will work well for what you want.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/2668178712.html This is a great deal, considering it comes with the extra power tubes. These amps are really great for the price. I want to get one of these for myself one day.

You could also check out a Peavey ValveKing... but they're not for everybody.

Oh, I've heard those. They sound great, but the problem is, I can't turn things up at home, so I'd really rather stick with modeling amps.