Let's not make this a genre debate please, just labeling bands the way that makes sense to me ^^; I love Cold (The band, not one of the countless songs named 'Cold' that exist lol), but I am struggling to make anything similar to their music. The obvious answer here would probably be "Learn their stuff", which I have, but it doesn't help me to create anything similar while unique/original. I can tell their is a lot of Bass (The Bass guitar, not the Bass/Low setting) in their songs, which makes me wonder if I can even create similar stuff with just an electric guitar. Any suggestions would be nice... And if we're being specific, I'm mainly focused on the Year Of The Spider & Different Kind of Pain album sound.
If you know their songs but don't know how to create similar sounds it's likely because you don't actually understand what's going on. Try learning some theory and really deconstruct the songs and you might have more luck.

Also worth saying: a massive part of Cold's sound is Scooter Ward's voice so you might not have much luck anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you know their songs but don't know how to create similar sounds it's likely because you don't actually understand what's going on. Try learning some theory and really deconstruct the songs and you might have more luck.

Also worth saying: a massive part of Cold's sound is Scooter Ward's voice so you might not have much luck anyway.

Yes, I know it's his voice.... Major envy....

I fiddled with the delay a bit on my amp and played around with Tremolo,Phaser, and Flanger effects to try getting similar sounding stuff. I do know their songs don't all center around just plain riffs- I hear a lot of funky lead stuff going on. Hearing, and replicating however, are entirely different things v.v
cold, like you said, plays in a post grunge style. Meaning it is simply 1-4-5 chords with acoustic/no distortion intros that are all based around arpeggiated power chords and open strings ringing. Then the verse is the same chords but someimes single notes instead of chords. and the chorus is 1-4-5. Done and done.

Music gets a lot easier if you understand whats going on, like zaphoid said.
Quote by hansome21
cold, like you said, plays in a post grunge style. Meaning it is simply 1-4-5 chords with acoustic/no distortion intros that are all based around arpeggiated power chords and open strings ringing. Then the verse is the same chords but someimes single notes instead of chords. and the chorus is 1-4-5. Done and done.

Music gets a lot easier if you understand whats going on, like zaphoid said.

Oversimplification is oversimplified.

That said you are getting at the right thing, understanding is what TS really needs.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Okay, so I did a bit of reading and then kinda simplified it down into my own terms so it made more sense.

By I IV V you mean like using the chords 022XXX X022XX X244XX ? Then take those same chords and use the notes that make them up, to create the Verse riff? X_X Trying my hardest here!
Yes! If you are writing a song in E, those chords would be perfect. Try to get creative with the rhythm for the chorus, and mix up the order if you need to. Also, the verse doesn't have to be single note, when I gave that advice, the cold song I had on youtube just happened to have single notes on the guitar for the verse. The verse in ANY genre needs to build to the chorus though, so always end the verse with 4 or 5 so that way the chorus will sound strong when it comes.

The idea is these simple chords (you have E, A and B as your I, IV, and V) can be mixed up various ways to write most the song and you could use the power chords or the open chords to get notes for leads/solos.
Quote by hansome21
Yes! If you are writing a song in E, those chords would be perfect. Try to get creative with the rhythm for the chorus, and mix up the order if you need to. Also, the verse doesn't have to be single note, when I gave that advice, the cold song I had on youtube just happened to have single notes on the guitar for the verse. The verse in ANY genre needs to build to the chorus though, so always end the verse with 4 or 5 so that way the chorus will sound strong when it comes.

The idea is these simple chords (you have E, A and B as your I, IV, and V) can be mixed up various ways to write most the song and you could use the power chords or the open chords to get notes for leads/solos.

Wow, could your idea of this genre be any more boring or formulaic? I know it's not the most varied genre in the world anyway but you're taking it to new levels of generic.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
shut up zaph, you need to get a life other than this forum, like seriously. I'm just trying to give a new song writer simple advice. I have never met such an elitist prick in my entire life, let me know when you lose your virginity.
Quote by hansome21
shut up zaph, you need to get a life other than this forum, like seriously. I'm just trying to give a new song writer simple advice. I have never met such an elitist prick in my entire life, let me know when you lose your virginity.

Is it possible to email someone to 7 years ago? Has temporal-mail been invented yet or should I wait until I can send it back in time?

Frankly I don't much care that you're being a dick but to write off not only one band but a whole genre as being based on a I-IV-V and nothing else is not only bad teaching it's just ignorant which is the greatest crime of all on a forum.

For example: by Cold, the song Cure My Tragedy is in fact in the verse based on a Im to IIsus2 chord progression, then in the chorus it switches to a VI-V-I-III all in power chords, the main melody in the intro is very loosely based on a V9 chord and the bridge changes the order up again to add more tension and resolution when the chorus comes back in.

Now, you can either except that you're wrong or you can flame me again for correcting you and be reported for being a reactionary fool who doesn't know when to admit fault.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I started a war, I'm sorry.
I've been playing around with basically just attempting to make the most depressing, downward progressions and riffs possible... It doesn't exactly work right. When I pick up the guitar, I think "Okay: 32nd notes and Power Chords, 1 2 3 GO!", and it's very difficult to break from this style. Even if I DON'T play Thrash style, I still end up playing fast.
I notice a lot in Cold's music (and similar bands) that the guitars typically play a very low amount of notes overall, and really hold out a single note for a while while the effects stack up. While playing Less should be theoretically easier, it is not for me. I hate being a Metalhead sometimes.

Rant aside- any suggestions on slowing down my playing? The obvious thing to do here is simply.... stop playing fast. But that bores me. I love to play fast, while also making pleasing sounds mind you, and I find myself bored to tears if I am playing anything but Slayer, Metallica, Overkill, etc.

So I suppose the new question to sort of assist in getting closer to my Post-Grunge musical goal here, is, how can I make slower playing just as amusing as fast playing? I have my moments of bending a note for hours and making sex faces ala-Steve Vai, but it's just gimmicky and silly, like a bar trick.

And another question, because dammit I'm going to learn to play this music: Suggestions on guitar effects? I'm playing through a Vypyr 15, so I have a decent selection of effects at my disposal, though sadly I cannot combine some that would be fun (Tube Screamer + anything would be nice...). I've messed with the delay a bit, but it's pretty limiting as far as I know, but then again I really know nothing about tweaking effects!

I feel I should state that I'm smart enough to realize I will not be anywhere close to replicating the sound of a professional guitarist's rig :/. Also, to address something that was brought up, I love Scooter Ward's voice, but he has a side project which I utterly despise because it's weird experimental stuff ^^; So, his vocals don't necessarily make another Cold lol.