Sorry for the really amateur question, but I'm just sort of wrapping my head around the idea of home recording. Basically, if I pick up an audio interface like an M-Audio Fast Track MK II, where do I define the tone of my guitar? Will I need additional software on top of my DAW?

Cheers guys
just looked it up, if it comes with pro tools then there are a lot of plugins that give you tone controls. They are very handy for recording late at night and for songwriting, but they're not as good as miking up an amp. You get different amp controls, EQ, reverb, delay etc. so you have lots of options availiable.
Depends how you want to record.

If you're DI'ing the tone comes from your guitar and your amp modeling software.

If you're micing, it comes from the guitar, amp and mic.

Obviously, it is also affected by how good the preamps and A/D conversion is on your interface (which you can't really expect to be very great on a cheap Fast Track). For DI'ing and using amp modeling software, I'm sure the Fast Track probably comes with something in its software suite, but I'd suggest using Reaper over Pro Tools SE that comes with it and then using TSE X50 or many of the other great free VST plugin amp sims. Pro Tools SE is ok, but it's very limited on what you can do with it as far as track count, etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I wouldn't recommend that, I have that interface and it loses loads of bass for some reason. Also with Pro-Tools LE is much better than the M-Powered, and for gods sake, don't get M-Powered Essential, you can't even change the settings... So I'd recommend LE, but if you don't have money for that, get the M-Powered, NOT the Essential.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
personally, i would define my tone from your amp, effects... etc and then instead of connecting a cab, connect to the interface (headphone out if its a combo).
But thats just me...
Real Analog or even digital effects are usually better than any plugin, but try and see what suits you best
I very much agree with Henrihell, M-Powered is definitely not the way to go, I use Pro Tools LE 8 with an MBox 3 and I have no trouble with getting great sounding guitar. Also I'm not sure about M-Powered, but Sans Amp comes on LE, which if you know how to use it well, and what other plugins to use along with it (Such as the Waves SSL4000 plugin, which is really expensive, but amazing) you can get unreal sounding tones. But as tntero said you'll always get better sound with good analog equipment.

How I run it generally is Guitar plugged in to the MBox direct to Pro Tools, then Sans Amp, followed by your EQ and Dynamics, (I suggest putting it in order of Filter-EQ-Dynamics), and have a send to a Reverb to give it that natural sound. If you have other things there such a delay or something, put that right after Sans Amp.
SoundCloud
My Gear
Gibson ES 137
Peavey Milestone IV
Ibanez Soundgear (4string)
Squire acoustic (one of those beginner box ones, but I got it for free.)
Traynor Dyna Gain 60
Traynor Custom Reverb (1971)
Traynor Bassmaster (1971)
Vox T-15
Last edited by JDJBrooks at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by henrihell
I wouldn't recommend that, I have that interface and it loses loads of bass for some reason. Also with Pro-Tools LE is much better than the M-Powered, and for gods sake, don't get M-Powered Essential, you can't even change the settings... So I'd recommend LE, but if you don't have money for that, get the M-Powered, NOT the Essential.

Huh?

Recommend what?

The Fast Track comes bundled with Pro Tools SE.

M-Powered and LE aren't sold anymore, to my knowledge. It's just Pro Tools 10 or Pro Tools HD 10.

This guy wants to do home recordings, and since he's looking into a Fast Track, I assume he's on a budget. The TS doesn't need to spend more on software/outboard gear than he does on the interface, especially when he's just starting out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Huh?

Recommend what?

The Fast Track comes bundled with Pro Tools SE.

M-Powered and LE aren't sold anymore, to my knowledge. It's just Pro Tools 10 or Pro Tools HD 10.

You're right they're not sold anymore, but they're also not hard to find on Kijiji or EBay for a lot cheaper than PT10 would be, if you don't mind having used gear
SoundCloud
My Gear
Gibson ES 137
Peavey Milestone IV
Ibanez Soundgear (4string)
Squire acoustic (one of those beginner box ones, but I got it for free.)
Traynor Dyna Gain 60
Traynor Custom Reverb (1971)
Traynor Bassmaster (1971)
Vox T-15
Quote by tntero
Real Analog or even digital effects are usually better than any plugin, but try and see what suits you best

totally not true. there are great effects out there, but there are so many great plugins that sound just as good as the "real" thing. most people these days are using plugins instead of outboard effects. even amp simulation is great these days, you can get stuff that sounds better than almost any cheap amp.

im also not sure how any digital effect would be better than a plugin, its essentially the same principle. except of course you now have another set of a/d converters in there, plus having to convert it back to analog at the output of the effect.
Its all up to personal taste. I for instance like to get my tone as close as I would like it with what I have. Then eq it to give it the final touches.
Quote by tntero
personally, i would define my tone from your amp, effects... etc and then instead of connecting a cab, connect to the interface (headphone out if its a combo).
But thats just me...

So much wrong in one post. Did you really just recommend someone to use their head without a cab?