Quote by Zimens
That was frickin epic! Please tell me how you did it, I really dig this stuff. 1.15 is really beautiful, I can imagine this being used in like Gladiator or something

c4c? (:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493013

Well, for about half a year I was composing random bad quality scores slowly getting better at it, and only recently I finally can write and make it sound professional. I obviously still have a lot to learn in terms of composition and arranging. So whenever I write something new I upload it.

I basically start out with a little improvising on piano, and it pretty much goes from there. Sometimes I also create a composition in my mind and then transcribe it. I really love this genre, because there is basically NO song structure, you just write whatever sounds good.

Will check yours out
Really cool. The end reminds me of the music from Age of Empires, which I ripped from the game and listened to a lot.
Quote by fly135
Really cool. The end reminds me of the music from Age of Empires, which I ripped from the game and listened to a lot.

Seriously??

I never played Age of empires 3 and following, but I played a lot of 1st and 2ond and it sounds nothing alike to me
Quote by Zeletros
Well, for about half a year I was composing random bad quality scores slowly getting better at it, and only recently I finally can write and make it sound professional. I obviously still have a lot to learn in terms of composition and arranging. So whenever I write something new I upload it.

I basically start out with a little improvising on piano, and it pretty much goes from there. Sometimes I also create a composition in my mind and then transcribe it. I really love this genre, because there is basically NO song structure, you just write whatever sounds good.

Will check yours out

That's my favorite part
What instruments/gear/software do you use?
Quote by Zimens
That's my favorite part
What instruments/gear/software do you use?

I use my midi piano, hell I can't even play piano.

Gear-wise? Only the piano, perhaps a decent sound card so that the latency wouldn't kill me.

Software-wise anything with normal studio tools like effects and equalizers would do, I use Magix music maker, it's very simple and I thought about Cubase, but Magix has REALLY good effects and it's easy to run on PCs with low-medium speed CPUs like mine. And of course I use virtual instrument libraries.

Why piano? I hook it up to the studio and can play every virtual instrument I have in the library on it. Everything you hear in my scores, I have a few more in my youtube channel, is just me playing on virtual instruments, even the choirs.

Actually, I even thought about writing an article here on UG as a guide to score writing at home environment. Not sure if it will turn out any good

Do you think I should?
Last edited by Zeletros at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros
Seriously??

I never played Age of empires 3 and following, but I played a lot of 1st and 2ond and it sounds nothing alike to me
Sometimes their is just an element that makes someone make the connection. No matter the last part was cool.
Quote by Zeletros

Gear-wise? Only the piano, perhaps a decent sound card so that the latency wouldn't kill me.

Software-wise anything with normal studio tools like effects and equalizers would do, I use Magix music maker, it's very simple and I thought about Cubase, but Magix has REALLY good effects and it's easy to run on PCs with low-medium speed CPUs like mine. And of course I use virtual instrument libraries.

Why piano? I hook it up to the studio and can play every virtual instrument I have in the library on it. Everything you hear in my scores, I have a few more in my youtube channel, is just me playing on virtual instruments, even the choirs.

Actually, I even thought about writing an article here on UG as a guide to score writing at home environment. Not sure if it will turn out any good

Do you think I should?

I need to buy a MIDI-keyboard then

Yes, I think you should do a guide, I know at least one person who would appreciate it!
Quote by Zeletros

Do you think I should?

First of all, I love the piece. Could you provide more specifics on what VST's you used instrument-wise, or if you used samples, where from? It all sounds very real, and absolutely great. Props man!

I've been planning on doing some orchestral stuff, but my MIDI keyboard fizzled out, and I just recently fixed it, so I'll be getting to work ha.

I think many people would love a guide, btw.
Last edited by cjmabry at Nov 7, 2011,
Quote by cjmabry
First of all, I love the piece. Could you provide more specifics on what VST's you used instrument-wise, or if you used samples, where from? It all sounds very real, and absolutely great. Props man!

I've been planning on doing some orchestral stuff, but my MIDI keyboard fizzled out, and I just recently fixed it, so I'll be getting to work ha.

I think many people would love a guide, btw.

I'll start working on the article then.

VSTi-wise. I use a library called East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition. I use instruments ONLY from this library, it's quite small, compared to other professional-sounding libraries, only about 4Gb. In the score itself, you hear cellos, violins, flutes, brass ensemble, drum ensemble and also choirs, both male and female. This library includes everything I need, and there are also a lot of VSTis included I did not use. It sounds very good and really professional too.

For the effects, live reberb, delay and others though, I rely on what the program offers: Magix Music Maker. They are quite good to me, so I don't see a reason why I should change the program I use.
Enjoyed it. Great chord progression. Everything floats nicely. Loving the tension. You've got a great starting point here. I'd try making the transitions sound fuller and more thought out. I can see this piece going on forever and ever, just building up.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal