Page 1 of 2
Im trying to help the other guitar player in my new band get a better tone. Currently hes running a Crate 2x12 tube amp and it has shitty onboard distortion, whats a decent distortion pedal he can run with this thing for a good metal tone? Plz dont say boss mt-2 becuz it is teh br00talz.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Boss Mt-2 because its super mello bro.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
lol thanks for the contribution. Anyone else?
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
the wylde overdrive is ment to be pretty good
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......|
....\__________./
what kinda tones are we talkin about?
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
just get a line 6 spider 4 75 watt or 30 watt combo amp. they have some different distortion modes
I can tell you now to stay away from Line 6. Piss tone, there. The problem may lie within the crate, though. I've never liked their cleans not to mention their distortions. Just not enough push behind it for me. Personally I like Boss, though. xD
I am the crack in the wall, The eye in the sky.
I am the final slumber, The great divide.
I am the silence in madness, That lies to your face,
My woe is accepted, 'tis the end of your race.
I prefer the Boss Metal Core Pedal, it seems to work well with more amps than the MT-2. If you think the MT-2 is too much, this may not be the right pedal for you. But what type of guitar does he have? The source sound is important also.

Stay Frosty
Main Gear:

Xaviere XV-870
w/ 2 "Dream 180" Humbuckers + Mid Boost Mod + Coil Tap

Peavey Classic 30

Modified Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Digitech Bass Synth Wah
GFS Twin Overdrive
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Line 6 DL4
Boss ME-70

This thread is full of win.
Nice crappy Boss distortion suggestions guys.

Without having to get a new amp, the overdrives or boutique distortions are your best bet.
Either a tubescreamer or a Wampler of some sort.

EDIT
http://www.wamplerpedals.com/distortions/triple-wreck.html
or
http://www.wamplerpedals.com/distortions/SLOstortion.html
should push the Crate clean channel into a high gain territory.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Nov 6, 2011,
Hes got a shitty epiphone explorer. I used to own a boss metalcore, it was decent though I used to play it through a solid state amp. About the tube screamer, I know these are awesome pedals but I thought they were more driven towards lead than rythem guitar. Its an overdrive pedal right, meaning you use the amps built in distortion and overdrive it with the tube screamer? Good for metal tones to the effect of Parkway Drive or Opeth or even Killswitch Engage?
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Quote by Carndawgy
what kinda tones are we talkin about?

this.
If your lookin for metal then the Metal Muff would work fine, but he's just looking for a bit "more" then look in to an overdrive like a fulltone OCD or a tubescreamer.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by dustydan95
just get a line 6 spider 4 75 watt or 30 watt combo amp. they have some different distortion modes

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC

I thought he was joking about the line 6 comment, at least I hope he was.
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Quote by Metal_Master_0
I can tell you now to stay away from Line 6. Piss tone, there. The problem may lie within the crate, though. I've never liked their cleans not to mention their distortions. Just not enough push behind it for me. Personally I like Boss, though. xD

Yeah I plugged into it and the clean is pretty god awful. I wonder how it would sound with a bit of the amps gain and an ibanez tubescreamer.
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Well if he's just looking for the same tone, but more balls, a proper boost like the TS9 will do it.

Other than that, a new amplifier?
He defintiely needs a new amp and Ill never gig with that thing, but a short term fix would be a pedal for now, and if he gets a TS9 he will still have use for the pedal with a new amp down the road. Problem solved!.. Now where is he going to get the $180 for a used one.. lol
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
He can wh0re himself out to 2 fat chicks for $90 each. Problem solved!..
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
I always enjoyed the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff

I used the MM with a Crate V32 and got great results.

(please note that this suggestion is not Tom 1.0 approved )

Are you going to post that every time you suggest it?

In this case its a good cheap shout to be fair. I would also like to suggest the Wampler Triplewreck

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Okko Dom since I haven't seen a real budget.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
if you haven't got a budget...

barber dirty bomb
emma pisdiyauwot
wampler slostortion
wampler triple wreck
okko dominator
toneczar openhaus

in order from least to most expensive.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0

Are you going to post that every time you suggest it?

In this case its a good cheap shout to be fair. I would also like to suggest the Wampler Triplewreck

i'm sure thee will be some variation posted, have to keep myself amused .

the wampler is a great pedal but rather pricey.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Just throwing this out there, the MXR Badass '78 is an amazing pedal. It got me some of the toanz I couldn't get with an OD pedal out my Blackstar and JCA.

It might be a bit too much gain if all he needs is a boost. I quite like the 78 distortion but its a bit harsh and isn't as neutral as an OD pedal.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
He would be much better off getting a straight dist with that amp than a boost. I liked the clean channel mine had but nothing could be done with the overdrive. Just get a Okko, triple wreck, SLOstortion, or whatever nice heavy pedal.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by JKHC
It might be a bit too much gain if all he needs is a boost. I quite like the 78 distortion but its a bit harsh and isn't as neutral as an OD pedal.

Have you tried it with the output up and the distortion nearly all the way down? That's how it works as an OD pedal.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Have you tried it with the output up and the distortion nearly all the way down? That's how it works as an OD pedal.

But it still "flavours" the tone too much, which could be a good or bad thing depending on whether you like the pedal or not.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
what is the price range?

putting any kind of hardwire, digitech, cheapo boss into an already bad sounding amp is like trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. (i actually think anything digitech and hardware makes is 100% useless. i wont ever go near those pedals. i actually demoed the entire hardwire line at a sam ash. all are terrible)

for fantastic tone, im going to throw out there a blackstar tube distortion pedal. runs about 150-200 depending on which one.

it would take the mp from "ow ow, crap my ears are bleeding" to "...oh damn. this sounds kinda good"
Last edited by ikey_ at Nov 6, 2011,
what school of distortion do you even want? Fuzz? Overdrive? or straight up dirt a la big muff?
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by neoclassical85
Hes got a shitty epiphone explorer. I used to own a boss metalcore, it was decent though I used to play it through a solid state amp. About the tube screamer, I know these are awesome pedals but I thought they were more driven towards lead than rythem guitar. Its an overdrive pedal right, meaning you use the amps built in distortion and overdrive it with the tube screamer? Good for metal tones to the effect of Parkway Drive or Opeth or even Killswitch Engage?

What he really needs is a new amp.

However: Tubescreamers cut bass, add mids and slightly add gain and compression [they are usually used for metal with the level cranked and gain at zero]. This tightens the sound and is good for metal. It is meant to be on an already overdriven tone for this of course.

Quote by neoclassical85
He defintiely needs a new amp and Ill never gig with that thing, but a short term fix would be a pedal for now, and if he gets a TS9 he will still have use for the pedal with a new amp down the road. Problem solved!.. Now where is he going to get the $180 for a used one.. lol

Huh?

Anyway; best bet would be to save up, get a new amp AND THEN look at getting pedals.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
if you haven't got a budget...

barber dirty bomb
emma pisdiyauwot
wampler slostortion
wampler triple wreck
okko dominator
toneczar openhaus

in order from least to most expensive.

This.

Quote by ikey_
putting any kind of hardwire, digitech, cheapo boss into an already bad sounding amp is like trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. (i actually think anything digitech and hardware makes is 100% useless. i wont ever go near those pedals. i actually demoed the entire hardwire line at a sam ash. all are terrible)

I don't think you can just blanket brands like that. Besides, the hardwire series are pretty damn good.
RIP Gooze

cats
well when i sit down and demo about 6-8 of thier pedals (probably every one thy make) and hate them all...yeah i kind of blanket the brand. just my opinion. plus, for thier price, you can easily get something in the fulltome/lovepedal range which are FAR FAR superior.

to me the hardwires are just lower end boss/digitech etc pedals in a spiffed up, flashy exterior and they jack teh price. i dont consider the sound quality worth it. oh yeah...and they are decievingly large - total pedal board hogs.

i mean i hate about half the boss line...but i like the other half. they just happen to make like 30 pedals.
Quote by ikey_
well when i sit down and demo about 6-8 of thier pedals (probably every one thy make) and hate them all...yeah i kind of blanket the brand. just my opinion. plus, for thier price, you can easily get something in the fulltome/lovepedal range which are FAR FAR superior.

to me the hardwires are just lower end boss/digitech etc pedals in a spiffed up, flashy exterior and they jack teh price. i dont consider the sound quality worth it. oh yeah...and they are decievingly large - total pedal board hogs.

i mean i hate about half the boss line...but i like the other half. they just happen to make like 30 pedals.

hmmm... gonna have to ? your taste in tone then. the Hardwire pedals are excellent and well worth the money. i use their overdrive pedal and when i was on the hunt it matched or buried all the others available (including the ones you mentioned) great bang for the buck.

seems like some of you see Crate and just assume ti's some cheezy SS amp he clearly said it was tube and i'm guessing part of the V series which are decent amps. the one downside they have is that they just plain aren't metal amps. however as i stated with a decent distortion pedal can sound really good
Quote by CJ Noble
what school of distortion do you even want? Fuzz? Overdrive? or straight up dirt a la big muff?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Were looking for a straight heavy metal tone, Death, Opeth, Arch Enemy, KSE. I think it would be better off using the clean channel with a good dist pedal rather than an OD pedal but I could be wrong. I wish I could try both to hear the results.
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
And I know he needs a new amp, unfortunately thats not an option for him right now so Im looking for a bandaid solution so I dont get so pissed off by the tone when were (I'm) trying to compose riffs that sound inspiring.
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Page 1 of 2