Solid Hard Rock Maple body and neck.
Solid Cherry Top and fretboard.
Chrome Fender Hardware.
White Pearloid scratchplate..

Enough details.....pictures...yas!
Timber before and after.

Router at the ready.

And routed.

Don't know how many pic's i can put on at a time, but hey i'll keep going with 2 more then you guys need to comment if you want more.

Will route out the cavities next week once top is ready to glue in position.
To the neck.

Cut and carve, cut and carve.

Ok need a comment Guys and Gals to add more.
I love how you just have a random Tele body on the floor on the fourth picture

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I love Thinlines! I'd love to get myself one, hope this works out well! What pickups are you gonna be using?
The random body on the floor is a shall we say.......not a good template so bined.

Pick=ups as yet undecided, was thinking of scatterwoos, up for suggestions.

you want more...............well ok.

Carving n cutting. Rasp and spokeshave at the ready.

Happy so far

slim and trim

Cherry next.......me thinks.
Lookin' forward to seeing you do work on that cherry; do you plan to leave it natural or are you going to paint this one?
Thanks for the comments, The more comments the more i can upload for you so keep them coming.

Ok back to the Pic's.

Another look at the body and neck 75% complete.

The Cherry top is now glued and will be thicknessed next week just incase it decides to move. It is quarter sawn so should be ok though.

The finger or fretboard has been cut from the same stick in order to minimise colour difference.
The cherry has good "pips and black lines" so should come up well.
Please don't ask me to wipe the surface with spirit or the such so you can see the colour as this can bleach the surface colour and detract from the beauty.
The finger board has a good bit of figure at what will be the high fret end.
The finger board will be banded with maple as will the F hole.

one more then thats it until next Sunday night. Though may show the F hole bands once steamed to approximate shape.

Looks pretty awesome so far! Can't wait to see that cherry top.
It's bad news thread followers.........tried to steam some maple strips to line the F holes but made them too thick and snapped the beggers. I've decided to use a hole saw to cut them from the solid and mitre the straight bits to them instead, as i want them at least 3mm wide.

Most of the metal has arrived......Changed the pick-ups for this build. I decided to get bare knuckle brown sugar for the bridge and fender custom shop Nocaster in the neck position. A sheet of white pearloid is eagerly awaited.

Question. Should i fit a traditional 3 way switch or a 4 way. I have both but need some feedback as to whether a four way is worth it???????

I've never heard a four so input needed. ............................Thanks.
If you've already got it, why not use the 4-way?
It is exactly the same as a three way with an extra position - it's not as if you're losing anything. If it turns out you don't like it, then hey - you've still got the three "nice" positions! .
yea...... but is putting the pickups in series a worth it sound. You do have to split the earthings....i think. I know its easy to do but......worth it??
I love the 4th position on my Tele. I use a lot of Strats and Teles, and I never use the "inbetween" positions with multiple pickups, but I use that 4th position a ton, I really love the sound.
Ok . Decided to go with the four way switch.
If you look at the diagram it says, I need a seperate ground for neck pickup cover. But it does not show this wire or where it is grounded to.
More help required please.

There should be three wires coming out of your neck pickup. The hot, the ground, and the cover ground. The cover acts like shielding - it intercepts any hum before it is picked up, and if the cover is attached to ground then the hum is removed before it reaches the pickup.
The cover ground and the pickup ground should be attached as one wire. You need to seperate this out into three wires.
As for where to ground it to, just solder it to the back of the pots.
well followers.........it's almost Sunday again and quite frankly I cant wait to get back into this build........got a real good drive for this one. Maybe because it's for myself to play for a change or something.......i don't know, but really desperate to get going again.
So far only 6.5 - 7 hours have been spent on this one, and everything has gone to plan.
Hope i have not tempted a mistake.........
Just awaiting the scratchplate material.......which should be here tomorrow.
Life is good..........well i'm happy.

Ment to say Lumberjack.....Just clear coat on this one.
Thanks to the kind people who post so I can update this thread.

Ok so what did I do today? Lets see.............................

First hollow out the body.......

Then glue on the top after thicknessing to 10mm.

Leave to set........Route the neck for the all important Truss Rod.

Then after cutting fret slots............maple banding to neck.

Cut the f hole (router and very sharp chisel) Fit neck.

Damaged three frets during fitting never took spares to workshop so will fitt the last 3 tomorrow. Housing for pickups and templating for pickguard next.
Can't wait to see this finished!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Quote by Rossmillertarn!
Can't wait to see this finished!

Me either... Looking GREAT so far..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Ok, I know I usually do the work on a Sunday but things on tomorrow so worked today. The work is done, and here are the results......................Please excuse the quality of the pic's as I used my phone as I forgot the camera......Doh!!!

First job of the day.......route the pickup cavities and electrics cavity.

Next string through ferrules,

Next the headstock gets some action,

Then some scratchplate cutting and fitting.

Well ladies and gentlemen, 21 hours work and all is going well. Just got to fitt the last 3 frets and sand the axe within an inch of it's life. 120 then 300 then 400 grit papers. Then it's NITRO time, but only when I'm happy.

And before anyone says anything, the trussrod cover is temporary, left the "bullet showing, but ran off the straight a small bit, so gonna get a custom metal cover me thinks.
Don't forget to comment cause if you don't I cannot post a double.
Cheers D.
Possibly my most favourite guitar design of all time. Let me say, you're doing it all sorts of jusitce. Especially love the fretboard. Will be really cool to see this finished.
To all who posted .............................many thanks for your kind comments.

Here is a question? I have already put edge fret markers. Should I put face markers on and if so what type?

This is your chance to influence the build.

Also, I want suggestions on what to build next. So far I have built 3 strats, 3 explorers, 1 les paul, 1 tele, and a double cut away of no particular type plus the thinline chappy.
So What Would You like To See Built????
a semi hollow anything.

andddd id leave the fretboard blank. or if youre adding markers, make them abalone
i do quite love that fretboard with its binding.
WOW. I'm really impressed, but seeing your little list of builds, you clearly have a lot of experience. I'd go for no markers or inlays - I prefer guitars like that unless you can do something really crazy with the inlays.

And as for the next build....I dunno. Perhaps a jazz/jag style offset guitar? I'd love to see something of your own original design, those builds are my favorite because they go places no one else ever will due to the originality of the design.
Ok, i've been thinking...................dangerous I know.......but had an idea for the next build(s),

What about a VOX PHANTOM? like this.................

Or a really old hollow one like this.........................

The 1st one I would do with the surf green colour but a maple top (quilted)
the 2nd one would have to be mahogany and maple with purpleheart stripes (two stripes on front, one on back including neck)

Not that i've thought about it..........HAHA
Anyone got a drawing or dimensions??????
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Dec 9, 2011,
hey dsss; this is awesome, I'm about to undertake a thinline build myself. Needless to say I was pretty excited when I saw someone here building one also!

I came around to building a thinline after I cut a body out of some heavy ass red colored wood I found under my house. The body all routed weighed in at 5kg!!! At this point I figured a thinline was the only way to go!!

I don't have a top wood chosed yet, so gimme a coupla weeks and there will be a build thread.

also wow that phantom hollow- beautiful! Love the half F hole on it...
Pretty good work my freind mmm tele's
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Quote by GandalfWh1te
hey dsss; this is awesome, I'm about to undertake a thinline build myself. Needless to say I was pretty excited when I saw someone here building one also!

I came around to building a thinline after I cut a body out of some heavy ass red colored wood I found under my house. The body all routed weighed in at 5kg!!! At this point I figured a thinline was the only way to go!!

I don't have a top wood chosed yet, so gimme a coupla weeks and there will be a build thread.

also wow that phantom hollow- beautiful! Love the half F hole on it...

Yea, saw it on your thread, great colouring on that timber. Do you know what kind it is?. The good thing is once you cut the chambers that will remove some of the weight. Dont forget to thin the cap behind the "F" hole before you glue it on. I nearly forgot......Doh!!

To all thread followers......... The thinline is being clear nitro lacquered at the moment. After at least 6 coats, I have today gave it a good wet and dry sanding (400 grit). I will leave it to dry today and apply more coats tomorrow after a wipe down wjth meths to remove any left over dust. I dislike using a " tack rag" as they can leave a residue.
Page 1 of 2