ive been asked to join this guys touring band as the lead guitarist playing originals, and all he has given me is his cd of acoustic/vocals. he says he wants me to have 'sort of a U2/digital delay' type of sound, which isnt a problem. however, im NOT a u2 fan at all, so therefore havent really heard his tone much. Iwas wondering if anyone can reccomend some of their best sonsg that would give me a really good idea of what sound im trying to go for, and really give a good sense of his guitarwork.

i figure i would just use my 'frankenstrat' with s/c pickups (i usually use a les paul, and use my frankenstrat for country, blues, and ballads because it is a very very 'bright' guitar) and i always use my marshall, im just gonna dial the gain way back for clean tones, and throw a digital delay in my fx loop.

does he use much distortion? if so let me know what songs those are too..
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
listen to joshua tree
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
I'd say for this.. I'm not really a U2 fan either (dad is though)

I'd say a lot of the delay stuff is handled in With Or Without you.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
What I find useful, if you wanna find a typical song by a band listen to anything they've done for the movies. The people making the films pick say U2 because they think U2's music will fit the film, so they're looking for a U2 song that sounds like U2. It quite often sounds like a band is covering themselves.
You play like an arpegiatted chord and just let the delay do the rest for all verses and choruses

troloolol
Well; the man's rackmount setup looks like the control panel of the Starship Enterprise, so...

As recommended, check out songs from The Joshua Tree and The Unforgettable Fire. His delay style is best exemplified by the song Where the Streets Have No Name.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The only consistency The Edge’s tone is that he usually mutes some notes within chords. Other than that the guy makes a big effort to get different tones in every song. Watch It Might Get Loud and you’ll get a lot of insight into where he is coming from.
Quote by KYLE_2K
Iwas wondering if anyone can reccomend some of their best sonsg that would give me a really good idea of what sound im trying to go for, and really give a good sense of his guitarwork.

"I Will Follow"
"Gloria"
"Where the Streets Have No Name"
"City of Blinding Lights"
"Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"

There's a lot of variation. He uses a fucking massive rig sometimes, with more controls than a stealth bomber. But in general: lots of delay, with a nice bright trebley sound. Very chimey and jangly. Sometimes a slide. He also gets pretty gritty sometimes, like "Vertigo" and "Get on Your Boots."
Last edited by Flying Couch at Nov 6, 2011,
The Edge isn't a guy who has one tone. To my mind, somebody who's thinking of an U2-type sound is generally thinking of the sort of thing you hear in these songs:

Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name
Sunday Bloody Sunday
With or Without You

as his tone got a lot more varied later, eg, check out:
One
The Fly
Beautiful Day
Walk On

to get a sense of where he's gone.

He is one of the most effects-driven guitarists there is, however. A bare minimum in my opinion is a rig that does good ringing cleans (eg, a Vox AC30) and a digital delay that can do dotted eighth notes easily.