Link

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla (Reuters) - A huge asteroid will pass closer to Earth than the moon Tuesday, giving scientists a rare chance for study without having to go through the time and expense of launching a probe, officials said.

Earth's close encounter with Asteroid 2005 YU 55 will occur at 6:28 p.m. EST (2328 GMT) Tuesday, as the space rock sails about 201,000 miles from the planet.

"It is the first time since 1976 that an object of this size has passed this closely to the Earth. It gives us a great -- and rare -- chance to study a near-Earth object like this," astronomer Scott Fisher, a program director with the National Science Foundation, said Thursday during a Web chat with reporters.

The orbit and position of the asteroid, which is about 1,312 feet in diameter, is well known, added senior research scientist Don Yeomans, with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

"There is no chance that this object will collide with the Earth or moon," Yeomans said.

Thousands of amateur and professional astronomers are expected to track YU 55's approach, which will be visible from the planet's northern hemisphere. It will be too dim to be seen with the naked eye, however, and it will be moving too fast for viewing by the Hubble Space Telescope.

"The best time to observe it would be in the early evening on November 8 from the East Coast of the United States," Yeomans said. "It is going to be very faint, even at its closest approach. You will need a decent-sized telescope to be able to actually see the object as it flies by."

It'll come closer than the moon, but won't hit us.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I can't wait until it comes back... even closer...
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
No chance of it hitting the Earth or moon? Like I'm going to trust what some farmer tells me, I'm getting out of here!
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Aw man, I got excited for a second.

Anyways, pretty cool stuff, can't wait to see the inevitable incredibly high-def pictures of it.
It's probably just the moon

BL
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
3:28 a.m. this Wednesday I shall watch the sky with great anticipation.

I wonder if I can see it from Dubai...I really hope so.
So...it won't hit us
It won't hit the moon
It won't affect the tides
Aaand...we won't be able to see it.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by guitarmaniac88
No chance of it hitting the Earth or moon? Like I'm going to trust what some farmer tells me, I'm getting out of here!

haha where you gonna go?
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

Isn't this the one where if it goes through a very specific spot in space (gravitational keyhole), the next time comes around it will hit us?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
3:28 a.m. this Wednesday I shall watch the sky with great anticipation.

I wouldn't bother

It’ll only get to a magnitude of about 11 — only 1/100th as bright as the faintest star you can see with your unaided eye — so you’ll need a decent-sized (12.5 cm at least) telescope to see it.

[/shamelessly stolen from Bad Astronomy]
Quote by BlackLuster
It's probably just the moon

BL

I've held it in for quite some time, but I can't contain it any longer.

What the **** does that mean?
Sing me to sleep.
Quote by aeroslash09
I've held it in for quite some time, but I can't contain it any longer.

What the **** does that mean?

He thinks UG are so stupid that we don't realise who's making the post.

TWG
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
He thinks UG are so stupid that we don't realise who's making the post.

TWG

I mean the BL thing
Sing me to sleep.
Quote by aeroslash09
I mean the BL thing

He does it to feel unique and wellknown.

People hate on it.

He does it more.

We all just want some acknowledgement.