Hello, I am 22 years old and feel like I am having a bit of a life crisis. I graduated university in May with high marks and got accepted into graduate school. However, I am not sure if my career choice is a good fit for me but since I only started grad school in September, its hard to tell.

However, I have always loved guitar and taught it as a part time job in my undergrad years. I keep having thoughts of just pursuing music teaching at a recognized music lesson place and also have my own side business related to guitar teaching.

I am just curious if anyones had success with guitar and making a living or any personal opinions on the matter? Any discussion is appreciated!
It won't be an amazingly comfortable living, but you can probably make it.
you're a stone fox
Give up

So I can make it
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
The more screwed your academic life gets, the more you think about "becoming an artist".

That was my observation, mostly derived from my own experiences.
But then (unexpectedly) I passed the exams and (not so unexpectedly) realized that I suck at guitar. So now I'm totally focused on university, where I will probably be able to achieve more.

That's all I have to say.
For everyone who makes a living playing guitar, there are at least 100 others (if not more) who would like to.

Never give up hope, but make sure you've got a back up plan as well.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Extra Ordinary
You can always go to teacher's college and become a high school music teacher.

/sarcasm

Fixed. This is a terrible occupation unless you love teaching high school kids.
you're a stone fox
How much money did you make teaching guitar part-time? If you started teaching full-time, would you have enough money to live off?
Maybe spend a summer teaching full-time to see what it's like.

Also, in the UK there's this thing called the Registry of Guitar Tutors . Maybe there's a similar thing in the US or wherever you live. I think that'll give you more credibility as a professional.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by Saint78
Fixed. This is a terrible occupation unless you love teaching high school kids.

Thanks. I missed that.
What's your degree in? Both out of curiousity, and because it might be able to help you in some way.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
You have to be lucky to make a good living playing guitar. You can be exceptionally good but in the end you have to be in the right place at the right time for the most part.
Check out my fitness blog here
im looking to study to teach guitar in the future as well.

heres what i think; even in times of real economic depression, like what most of us have been starting to see, art still lives. Movies, music, etc etc etc- all provide this relief and distraction, as a luxury and for people who are not living so well. We all live for a dream, and our imagination really pushes us, so even when reality is cold, art and entertainment can provide us with a "dream". For example, music and film were huge even in the great depression
You probably had more of a chance if you were 22 in the 1970s. Now it's too late.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
I do it, It's friggin hard, you need to constantly be searching for work unless you can get a resident job somewhere. A manager is very helpful if you wanna do it for a living.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
i dont know if we have the ability to create life in geometric shapes. if one could make a living guitar i still dont know if it would be playable.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Harvey Swick
i dont know if we have the ability to create life in geometric shapes. if one could make a living guitar i still dont know if it would be playable.

Haha, I get it. Because he said "making a living, playing, guitar."
Oh wait, no he didn't.
It's almost as if grammar makes the meaning of the statement perfectly clear.