So my fellow Pitmonkeys, I've been playing the guitar for little over a year. After many days of practicing I could finally play the second solo of Comfortably Numb well out of memory and with a backing track, and it was the first time I actually felt like a guitarist. Not a good guitarist but a guitarist nevertheless.

So have you ever had similar feelings and if so, when did it happen? Was it after you nailed your favorite solo or when you first performed in front of people?
I still don't feel good enough to refer to myself as a guitarist after 5+ years of playing
When I first started I used to get all giddy when I learnt something new, now that feeling has kinda' faded away.

Although I think I got it again last week when I nailed some sweeping for the first time!
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Learning a really cool sounding riff that's a bit challenging, and then getting it down pretty nicely always gets me stoked.

Like "these monuments built by thieves" part of Complex Terms by The Human Abstract.
Last edited by blake1221 at Nov 6, 2011,
when i'm watching music on tv and start improvising solos that actually sound good \o/
Quote by devourke
I still don't feel good enough to refer to myself as a guitarist after 5+ years of playing

Same. I can play guitar, but I wouldn't say i'm a guitarist.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I always feel terrible when I see the pros play stuff so perfectly, not knowing whether I'll be able to achieve the same or not someday.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I think my favorite feeling is when I just get into the zone, and all I feel is the music, I can go for hours like that.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I still think of myself as an average player after 4 years of being around guitar/bass.
I've had those feelings. Don't really get 'em anymore, progress is so slow.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
When I finally nailed the beginning of Stairway of Heaven.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Quote by Blackwaterson89
When I finally nailed the beginning of Stairway of Heaven.

Haven't heard of that one.

OT: After jamming along to blues tracks after learnin' ma scales
Check out my fitness blog here
the last time i got that feeling was like a week or so ago and it was the first time i had felt it in a really long time, all i did was for the first time ever i sat down and stopped thinking about all i had left to acheive as a guitar player and thourght about how much i had learned, i have to say it is something i think a lot of people don't do and should probably start doing.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......|
....\__________./
Well I don't really think of myself as a musician, not yet anyway.

When I started realizing I could actually improvise sections that don't sound too stupid though - that was a pretty big moment for me.
Got that when I finally managed to play the rhythm along to Pride and Joy by SRV. You know the E chord where the little finger's playing the blues progression at the same time. Awesome riffage.
Quote by GibsonMan321
I always feel terrible when I see the pros play stuff so perfectly, not knowing whether I'll be able to achieve the same or not someday.

Keep in mind it's way easier to play something you wrote.
B|-----------------MEEDLY
G|-----------------------------MOODLY
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------WEE
A|DUN-DUN-----------------------------------------DEEWOP
E|DUN-DUN-------------------------------DOON