I'm into playing a bunch of different genres and I'm looking for something that can add some color as well as dirty crunch/skronk to my bass tone. I've been stuck between a Sansamp Bass DI or the VT Bass pedal, eh. They both sound good, eh. Which one is more practical, and how versatile are they? If this is in the wrong forum I'll move it, but I'm banking on you guys knowing a bit more than GG&A.
The plain ol' Sansamp Bass DI is more versatile but the VT Bass is dirty crunch in a nutshell.

Basically you have to choose between something that will cover a broad range of styles or something that will do one or two style really ****ing well.
Quote by Spaz91
The plain ol' Sansamp Bass DI is more versatile but the VT Bass is dirty crunch in a nutshell.

Basically you have to choose between something that will cover a broad range of styles or something that will do one or two style really ****ing well.

Was afraid of that. VT would probably just be good for bluesy rock, and general crunch, eh? DI would be a bit more useful for everything, and can sound almost the same as the VT I reckon. VT does what it can so well, torn between one or the other.
Last edited by ccam555 at Nov 6, 2011,
I would actually put it the other way around - having both, I use the BDDI for balls to the wall crunch sounds, and the VT as a general all round preamp :/
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Killerfridge
I would actually put it the other way around - having both, I use the BDDI for balls to the wall crunch sounds, and the VT as a general all round preamp :/

BDDI is more of a midless metal skronk and the VT has filthy crunch. Just having to take the DI to gigs looks enticing as all hell.
Of course it's never easy. I have no way of trying these in person either. :/
EDIT: I'll probably end up getting the DI and sending back if I don't like it. Or maybe I should try the VT first. AHHHHH.
Last edited by ccam555 at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by Spaz91
Maybe Sansamp isn't the solution? There are other driver/DIs. MXR and EBS do them as do a lot of boutique brands.

Eden has one too that looks awesome.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I own a VT Bass and have it on constantly when I'm playing with my punk band. I love the sound of that pedal, fairly versatile too. Its more just just a distortion pedal, it really takes you tone, and just pumps it up. I would advise trying one first, but I would defiantly recommend it.
I suppose, one other thing to take into consideration is the Blend function on the BDDI - so incredibly useful if you want to only alter you soundly lightly.

Actually, to be honest, if I could only have one of them, I would probably have the BDDI. I love the VT (especially the Deluxe which, now I think about it, isn't what you are asking about) and I probably use it more, but the blend function on the BDDI is too useful.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Quote by ccam555
What does the blend feature do? Tried watching videos online and it really didn't show it.

I don't own one myself but generally blend means a Wet/Dry mixer - you can alter the percentage of your plain signal that is altered by the pedal.
So you could have just a slight amount of drive given by the pedal by having the blend down low or you could have your entire sound distorted or otherwise effected by the pedal
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by Jake the Peg
I don't own one myself but generally blend means a Wet/Dry mixer - you can alter the percentage of your plain signal that is altered by the pedal.
So you could have just a slight amount of drive given by the pedal by having the blend down low or you could have your entire sound distorted or otherwise effected by the pedal

It's almost what the blend does - in the BDDI it is post e.q. so the bass, treble and presence knobs still work, but the tube emulation is blended.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

I own the VT and its only ever off in my rig when my EHX English Muffin is on and I want a filthy filthy valve sound, it does wonders for your tone, however,Ive only heard great things about the Sansamp,and never tried one, essentially,I dont think ud be disapointed with either,Id say try them both,but I know that can sometimes be next to impossible...try places like bass chat and nab the one that comes up first at a decent price? I know that sounds fairly haphazard advice, but either way,as said, you're getting a good bit of kit!!! I now primaraly use a Squire bass thru the VT as opposed to my Sandberg, becuase I can get the tone I want, and the short scale is easier on my wrist and back, and am confident in my tone....its a super pedal
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"