I just bought a Royal Atlantic head a few days ago and I need a good cab for it. I've checked on emperor cabs and I love how they look but I don't know if it's a good idea to get a 2x15 since I read somewhere around here those are good for some stoner rock. Opinions on this? Weber or Eminence speakers? 2x15 or 4x12? I play blues, rock, latin and metal but I'm more inclined to stoner and alternative/post rock. Thank you.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Nov 8, 2011,
a rectifier should do you fine I think. check youtube, I think a channel called Haggertysmusic did a shootout between 2 popular cabd for the RA-100 (i think it was the Recto 212 and Electradyne 212)

here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/user/haggertysmusic#p/u/7/VH42c6fl7yw
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Nov 7, 2011,
emperor cabs are really good. I'd definitely go down that path.
Not sure what speaker config though
RIP Gooze

cats
Whitebox has a sale on thier classic series cabs right now great cab for like $250.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
a rectifier should do you fine I think. check youtube, I think a channel called Haggertysmusic did a shootout between 2 popular cabd for the RA-100 (i think it was the Recto 212 and Electradyne 212)

Not a fan of Don's videos actually xD... The rectifier sounded better for my taste definitely but not exactly what I'm looking for, I prefer Emperor cabs (solid wood made) I need info on 4x12 and 2x15 differences and on Weber and Eminence speakers since I want a different and original sound but thank you anyway.

emperor cabs are really good. I'd definitely go down that path.
Not sure what speaker config though

Just what I thought, thanks

Whitebox has a sale on thier classic series cabs right now great cab for like $250.

I'll see what I can find about those, thanks!

Anyone else?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
Not a fan of Don's videos actually xD... The rectifier sounded better for my taste definitely but not exactly what I'm looking for, I prefer Emperor cabs (solid wood made) I need info on 4x12 and 2x15 differences and on Weber and Eminence speakers since I want a different and original sound but thank you anyway.

Just what I thought, thanks

I'll see what I can find about those, thanks!

Anyone else?

to be fair though, I really havent seen any better put together comparisons for mesa stuff on youtube.

but yea, if it comes down to emporer or whitebox, id say emporer
Can't really help you too much outside of suggesting what I've owned which as you know is Avatar and Splawn. The Splawn cabs sound much better than what is in this shootout but this is good stuff if you have not seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JUm3VGwZJQ

15"s would be way too flubby imo. I'd def get 12 inch speakers. They can do stoner rock no problem and will sound much better for the other stuff you play. If you want to go crazy you could consider a 212 cab and 1x15 cab or something just make sure you figure out the overall impedance first.

Can't wait for your R/A NAD
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
15"s would be way too flubby imo. I'd def get 12 inch speakers. They can do stoner rock no problem and will sound much better for the other stuff you play. If you want to go crazy you could consider a 212 cab and 1x15 cab or something just make sure you figure out the overall impedance first.

Can't wait for your R/A NAD

+1

While I'm a fan of 15" speakers I would only really pair them with a very bright amp, and only for very specific uses. They're just too flubby and slow to respond to be a practical choice.

Personally I would stick with Mesa just because you're pretty much guaranteed to get good results. Either the recto cab for a looser more scooped sound, or a Stiletto cab for a punchy tight sound.
I would definitely (edit: NOT) use 15s on the RA, it would get much too loose in the low end. I'd go with two Weber Grey Wolf speakers, or maybe one Grey Wolf and one Silver Bell. The Grey Wolf are like the Alnico Blue except more aggressive, which should suit the Mesa well because it's sort of a more modern Vox style voicing.

Any good Avatar, whitebox, etc. cab ought to be good. I would think you'd want an open back. That's what the combo 2x12 is, and it works well. An open back Avatar or Emperor 2x12 with those Weber speakers would be my choice. A 4x12 is sweet if you can handle it, but budget and portability wise they're just not practical. I'd stay away unless you really have money to burn and are either a big burly guy, or don't move the cab, or pay someone else to move it for you.
^ definitely NOT use the 15s right?

Avatar makes 'convertible' back cabs now. Great for best of both worlds. Speaker wise - the only thing I can add would be maybe look at Avatar's Hellatone line of speakers, warehouseguitarspeaker.com Veteran 30 or other clones, and then maybe the Eminence Man O War or Swamp Thangs.
Well, I guess I'll go with the 4x12 then, still trying to figure out which speakers though, I do want something different than Mesa (or Celestions for that matter), It'll be awesome if I can create new sounds just starting with the amp/cab configuration (I do have pedals and I'll try using odd chain positioning as well). Looking for speaker combinations probability too (Cathbard wrote it's hard to blend different speakers but I guess there are some exceptions like mixing Tone Tubby's alnico with a ceramic one, any experience on this?). Any speaker recommendations guys? (Weber, Eminence, Tone Tubby, etc...) I need 120w and 4 or 8 ohms total.

BTW, I'll try to write a very nice NAD review about the RA but the only cab available around my place for making a demo is an old Peavey 4x10 bass cab @4ohms lol, I'll see if I can borrow something more appropriate from a friend. Thank you for your patience guys .

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ definitely NOT use the 15s right?

Thanks, must have been thinking faster than typing.

As for speakers - Greenbacks are always a good answer. The Webers I mentioned earlier would be excellent, too. Keep away from anything too bassy if you're going with a 4x12.
I'd wait for the cab to do a full on NAD/NCD

Can you find any used cabs around you for the interim? You are like 300 miles from Mexico City right?

I'll wait

Yep, Mexico city is like 4 hours away from here. I do like the idea of buying a great cab since I already spent good money and time-thinking on buying my amp.

Used cabs around here are as follows:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-69256506-gabinete-marshall-jcm-900-lead-1960-4x12-ingles-ccelestion-_JM
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-70142876-gabinete-marshall-4x12-jcm-800-1960-lead-_JM
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-69765229-randall-bafle-gabinete-eminence-300w-reales-xalapa-_JM
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-72358990-amplificador-gabinete-marshall-4x12-lead-8412-england-3799-_JM
^This one is really cheap!
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-70271981-gabinete-b-52-de-480-watts-de-salida-super-poderosos-_JM
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-71697944-gabinete-4x12-400w-hugheskettner-line6-marshall-_JM
^This one is around here.
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-69696194-gabinete-bafle-cabinet-cab-b-52-4x12-celestion-v30s-_JM

Edit: If I buy one of this cabs then I guess I can swap the speakers. There is another option though: I know a great audio engineer around here, he has won lot's of international prizes on audio and he's brother of one of the best drummers in Mexico so maybe he will be able to build me a cab with the speakers I choose. I do love the idea of having a hard wood custom made cab xD. But I do have zero experience with cabs. I found this http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/speaker_cab.html.

Sorry about all this mess on choosing a cab but damn! I want my money to be very well invested .

Do you think the Marshall 8412 is a good option while I get the money for a better cab? It's reaaaaally cheap!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Nov 7, 2011,
The 1960 cabs might work for you and are easy to resell. If you don't like the speakers then buy 2 new ones and try the X pattern. Then if that doesn't work either put the old speakers back in and sell, sell with new speakers or get 2 more speakers.

I'd pass on the B52 cabs and the 8412 cab - I think that is the MG cab no? Don't know anything about that HnK cab.

Getting someone to make a cab sounds good too. So you are set on a 4x12 huh?
I'll see if I can get a deal on the 1960 cabs; about the 8412 it isn't the shitty MG cab but it's not a great one though, it's the 1st generation Valvestate cab (It's MDf construction and it has Celestions G12-35, from what I read those seem to be the budget greenbacks, they got some nice reviews BTW but who knows).

On 4x12 decision... I was comparing 2x15 and 4x12 and you guys are suggesting 4x12 so I guess I'll take your advice since you have experience and I've also got some nice suggestions from you before guys .

Still looking for speaker possibilities though since getting it built by the guy I told you it's viable for me too, and, who knows, I can even get the money for buying an Emperor or something similar !

If I get a nice deal on a Marshall cab I would buy it though and save some money for eventually buying a better one, as I already stated.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
On 4x12 decision... I was comparing 2x15 and 4x12 and you guys are suggesting 4x12 so I guess I'll take your advice since you have experience and I've also got some nice suggestions from you before guys .

Still looking for speaker possibilities though since getting it built by the guy I told you it's viable for me too, and, who knows, I can even get the money for buying an Emperor or something similar !

If you are going emperor I'd think they could probably build you a 2x12+1x15 or something. Which might be good for stoner rock.
Otherwise go 4x12.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
If you are going emperor I'd think they could probably build you a 2x12+1x15 or something. Which might be good for stoner rock.
Otherwise go 4x12.

That will be awesome!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
That is what I was suggesting. A 2x12 and a 1x15. Just make sure you have the impedance worked out (ie. make sure they are both 16 ohms, for example, do that when you add them together they = 8 )

Make sure the 212 has a second jack for daisy chaining

then - you can also run just the 2x12 at 16 ohms when you don't want the 1x15
But the RA only has 4 & 8 ohms out, is it ok to plug a 16ohm setup on the 8ohm out?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Roc8995
I would definitely (edit: NOT) use 15s on the RA, it would get much too loose in the low end. I'd go with two Weber Grey Wolf speakers, or maybe one Grey Wolf and one Silver Bell. The Grey Wolf are like the Alnico Blue except more aggressive, which should suit the Mesa well because it's sort of a more modern Vox style voicing.

311ZOSOVHJH
If you want to go crazy you could consider a 212 cab and 1x15 cab or something just make sure you figure out the overall impedance first.

mulefish
Otherwise go 4x12.

Then I guess It will be a 2x12(Weber Grey Wolf and Silver Bell)+1x15(Weber Ceramic Blue Dog perhaps?) Emperor cab with a second jack on the 2x12 for daisy chaining... Oh man! It's gonna be expensive xD lol! Let's hope it doesn't take too much time to get it.

So this is the plan: I'll see if I can get a nice price on a 1960 cab and get one then, when I save some money, I order the Emperor with a 50% of the total cost and I sell the 1960.

Seems like a good plan for me... Thank you guys !

Any suggestions on the speakers? I still don't have any info on 15" speakers neither.

Edit: BTW, I'm pretty sure the guys at Emperor can build me a single cab equipped with the 2x12+1x15 configuration, take a look at their site! http://emperortone.com/cabs/guitar-cabs

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
New plan: I just talked to the audio engineer I mentioned before and he said he can definitely build me the cab for a good price, he said he needs the size because everything is computer measured, he also recommended using specially treated hard wood. I'll just buy the speakers.

1x12"Weber Gray Wolf+1x12"Weber Silver Bell+1x15"Weber Ceramic Blue Dog (I need help choosing the wattage and impedance of each speaker and the wiring, delightful task )

120-140w@8ohms would be good or what do you guys recommend?

Since it's gonna have a 15" speaker I think I don't need and oversized cab, right?
Will 2x12+1x15 on the same cab can work or should I get them separately?

Edit: If I'm thinking it correctly if the 12"s (16ohms each) are parallel wired and the blue dog (8ohms) is wired on series the whole damn thing will yield 8ohms, right? What about the wattage? How should it will be distributed to get the most out of each speaker?

Both 12s power options are 15w, 30w, 50w, 75w and 100w.
Blue Dog is only available at 50w.

Should I get the 12s running at 30w or at 50w each?
30w+30w+50w=110w
3x50w=150w

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Nov 8, 2011,
Bump

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I'd get the 2x12 and the 1x15 separately for several reasons. Weight, portability, tonal options, etc.

I'd get the 212 rated to at least 100w in case you want to just run the 212 only.

Get each cab rated at 8 ohms each so you can run each separately. If you daisy chain them, your amp will want to see 4 ohms. The 212 should probably be wired in parallel with 2 - 16 ohm speakers.
Got it, a 2x12 will be.
Gray Wolf paper cone 50w@16ohms and Silver Bell hemp cone 50w@16ohms , I think I can order the speakers next week. Thank you guys!

About the cab build: Oversized cab (like a Recto cab) or not? Pros & cons on each plz!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Nov 9, 2011,
I decided to use the Roadster 2x12 cab as a blue print. The audio engineer said that with some computer help they can work it out to get the most out of the design (he asked me for the speakers specifications too). I'll have a cost estimate in a few days. Hardwood is gonna be, but we are still not sure which, we'll take a look at some possibilities, he said mahogany is a great option but kind of pricey. Suggestions?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Bump

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Nothing, uh? Well, I'll figure it out... thx

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Nope, suggestions on choosing hardwood for the 2x12 cab

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Mmmmmmmmm :S, I guess I'll go with mahogany then...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich