Hey Guys,

One thing that I could definitely learn a lot more about is the different settings on my amp. I was wondering if there were any good guides or helpful tips on understanding highs, lows, mids, etc. I'd love to be able to know exactly how to achieve a sound that I have in my head as opposed to just randomly tweaking a few knobs here and there.

Can anyone help?
What kind of amp do you have?
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Quote by charcoalgray
Hey Guys,

One thing that I could definitely learn a lot more about is the different settings on my amp. I was wondering if there were any good guides or helpful tips on understanding highs, lows, mids, etc. I'd love to be able to know exactly how to achieve a sound that I have in my head as opposed to just randomly tweaking a few knobs here and there.

Can anyone help?

honestly the best way to learn your amp is to just sit and tweak. start with the tone controls at 5 (mid point) and just adjust each one up or down. listen to how it effects the sound. after a while you'll understand more about low, mids and highs. from there it's just a matter of listening and adding or subtracting each until you get the sound you want (within reason). hands on experience beats settings threads by a mile.
A lot of amps have different tonestacks in them too so there isn't really much of a "universal" way to tweak. You just have to get comfortable with the quirks of each amp. That being said, there's a pretty much accepted range of frequencies that count as lows, mids and highs but that's more of a guideline than anything else.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"