Hey guys, got a copyright law question for ya: if I take an image off the internet and modify it to make a poster for a show, am I liable for some sort of copyright infringement or something? If so, how serious are the charges?
I don't think so, unless you modify it in some type of obscene way. maybe, i don't know
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
No, not entirely for example not unless you make it a "work" in itself different and unique from the original "work". It all depends on how creative you can be with the original picture.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

No one who can do anything about it will know.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
No one who can do anything about it will know.

This, probably.

I think you mostly get in trouble for something like that if you're using it for financial gain. You'd have to ask a lawyer (or somebody who knows more about the law than me) whether using a picture to promote a concert qualifies as financial gain. I would assume it does, but I'm not well versed in the laws of copyright.
I'm pretty sure if you take any image that is not public domain and use it without giving credit to the original creator you're stealing intellectual property. If you modify it so much that it looks nothing like the original then you might be ok.
As long as it's not an Against Me! picture, because Tom Gabel will find you and smash your head into a table.
Quote by AgainstYou
As long as it's not an Against Me! picture, because Tom Gabel will find you and smash your head into a table.

and you don't want to get that close to James Hetfield, now do you TS?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'm not entirely sure on whether or not it's possible for you to get sued, but that being said, you won't.
You can get into some legal complications if the original owner of the image a.) finds out and b.) gives enough shits to file a charge. This scenario is unlikely; chances are, the original owner of the image will not find out, and not really care if they do. At most, I would expect the original owner, if they have a problem with you using the image, to ask you to take down any public usage of the image without permission, not "sue your pants off."

However, if you are worried about this anyway (as I must admit, I probably would be, due to a neurosis-prone personality type), you could either contact the owner of the original image and ask permission to use it, or else use images that are in the public domain (that have no copyright claims on them and are free for anyone to use).

Hope this helps.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Yes, it's infringement - you're using someone else's work for commercial gain without permission.

No, nothing will happen to you, because in all likelihood no-one will give a toss.
Quote by Cloaca
Yes, it's infringement - you're using someone else's work for commercial gain without permission.

No, nothing will happen to you, because in all likelihood no-one will give a toss.

This.

Litigation is highly unlikely. As a semi-pro photographer i can tell you that in the USA you have to have a registered copyright on the image to sue someone. Is it impossibie to sue over it, no. The best thing is just to ask the owner of the image. I know I have given permission for some of my images to be used without compensation just to get my name and images out there. Now if someone wanted to modify it it would depend on what they wanted to do with it. i.e. I shot a few MMA fights and they have permission to use and modify them for promotional purposes, but then again they paid me for the photos and the usage rights for two years.
Depends how high you are up the system. There's a guy I'm subscribed to on youtube who uploads a lot of songs by up-and-coming electronic artists, and used to use random awesome pictures he found on DevArt or Photobucket to go on the video, until the original owners found out. A few were cool with it, but most just asked him not to use them. Unless you're really exploiting it, and gaining all original credit for the piece, then any sane human wouldn't really give enough of a shit to do anything more than ask you not to use it.
1. The image in question must be copyrighted. Many images on the net are not. If there is no copyright, you are good to go. Search for "Royalty Free Images".
2. Check if the copyright applies to the region you are in. If the image is copyrighted in the country you are in, you must obtain permission to use it or you are breaking the law.
3. In some countries, some forms of copying are allowed (such as satire, parody, etc.) but this is not true everywhere so make sure you check your countries laws.

Finally, remember that there really is no point suing someone who doesn't have much money. So if you aren't rich, and you don't make a small fortune off this gig, you will probably be fine even if the owners of the image do find out that you stole it. Although if you do one day become superstars there is always the chance they will retroactively sue you
And the award for worst judge of character goes to...ApeWeevil! Congratumalations!
Last edited by L42yB at Nov 7, 2011,
Try to find an image with an appropriate Creative Commons license. I don't remember the different ones, but some allow you to freely modify and use the original.
Yes. At least according to Swedish and (I think) international copyright laws - you are breaking it. It does depend on when the picture was taken, who took it. If he/she's dead etc.

So yes, you will break it, but nobody's gonna care, is my guess.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)