So I was restringing my MAB3 and came upon my first real issue on this guitar that I cannot fix on my own. After I restrung it I noticed the back of the bridge is raised up. Ive never had this problem when changing out strings, and am fairly new to these Floyd Rose setups. I have looked up many ways to fix this on youtube and google. Couldnt really find anything that worked for me. I tried tightening the two screws in the back that hold the plate that holds the springs. Didnt work. Tried retuning using a butter knife to hold bridge, when I pulled it out the bridge just went up again. This is such a bummer. Can someone help me?

yea I know second pic is kinda hard to see the angle, but I thought pics might help
Last edited by y1p33y0 at Nov 6, 2011,
Basically, if you have already tightened the springs as far as they can go and the back of your bridge is still raised you're screwed. I can't see this happening unless you are doing something horribly wrong.

You are tuning your guitar first before you check this, right? If you have, and the springs are still too loose, your springs are probably shot.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Last edited by JimDawson at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by JimDawson
Basically, if you have already tightened the springs as far as they can go and the back of your bridge is still raised you're screwed. I can't see this happening unless you are doing something horribly wrong.

You are tuning your guitar first before you check this, right?

Yes. Well its the tuning thats doing it. If my strings are about a step, maybe step and half, then the bridge is okay. But when I tune it to standard is when the bridge comes up on me.
I suggest just tightening the screws in the back some more, if possible...

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Logically, if you are pulling on the bridge with the strings (<---), you need springs to counter that pull (---> and center the bridge.
Quote by Jesus
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I suggest just tightening the screws in the back some more, if possible...

Wouldnt that just make the bridge go even further up
Quote by y1p33y0
Wouldnt that just make the bridge go even further up

Not at all, it pulls the back of it down.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Look at how the bridge pivots, I seriously don't see how you would assume that the bridge would pivot closer to your pickups if you tightened the springs.
Quote by Jesus
Quote by JimDawson
Look at how the bridge pivots, I seriously don't see how you would assume that the bridge would pivot closer to your pickups if you tightened the springs.

Well I dont know how to tighten the springs...was talking about the screws. I loostened them up to try again, it honestly just makes it worse.
Quote by y1p33y0
Well I dont know how to tighten the springs...was talking about the screws. I loostened them up to try again, it honestly just makes it worse.

You don't loosen the screws to just re-tighten them.

Screw them in until the bridge goes level, and if there isn't enough range then add another spring.
Quote by y1p33y0

...You tighten the screws, forcing the springs to extend. How else would you tighten the springs? When people say tighten, they mean to increase the tension.

You get a screwdriver, and you spin it clockwise- that is the same direction the hands on a clock move- until you have tightened the springs enough to get your bridge centered.
Quote by Jesus
This whole problem could have been solved with the second post.
Quote by Jesus
Quote by JimDawson
This whole problem could have been solved with the second post.

As the pictures show, the screws are as tight as possible.
There's room for 5 springs in there, I can only pressume you're using a fairly heavy gauge string so either try replacing the 3 as said in the second post or buy some more and add them in. Simples
Quote by Twidler
There's room for 5 springs in there, I can only pressume you're using a fairly heavy gauge string so either try replacing the 3 as said in the second post or buy some more and add them in. Simples

I use medium, and light gauge. I guess I could replace the springs, I mean are they the cause of the problem? Its a new guitar, how often should I replace springs?
Last edited by y1p33y0 at Nov 7, 2011,
I got my guitar a month ago, and I haven't noticed my springs stretch at all. It's my first FR guitar, so that's the best I can tell you there. So I would assume they should last a few years, unless anyone else knows otherwise...

Actually, from the pictures it looks like those springs aren't stretched that much at all! Maybe you can get shorter springs? I wouldn't know.
Quote by Jesus
Last edited by JimDawson at Nov 7, 2011,
I think anything above 11's would need extra springs, if you're using lighter ones like 9's or 10's and the guitar's new I'd take it back, the floyd should easily sit level even after a good bit of use without the spring claw being screwed all the way in.
So, does anyone know about how long these springs should last?
Quote by Jesus
Years, I haven't actually heard of them wearing out yet but who knows. I have two floyd equipped guitars that I've had for a number of years now without any problems.
The issue is where the screws were set from the factory. There's a good method of fixing this that no one ever seems to acknowledge, for whatever reason.

Simple: Start over. Loosen your strings all the way, and loosen the springs in the back a lot. Then tune up, and adjust springs as needed. If you can't get it level and the springs are all the way screwed in, chances are that the guitar just had the springs screwed too far in to begin with. Screw out some, and that should fix the problem.

If that doesn't work, then get some more springs. Really not a hard fix.

Also, read the FR setup sticky. This isn't rocket science, it's very simple physics. String tension counteracts spring tension.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
fr is pain in the ass. if u added higher gadge strings u might need to add springs in the back or tighted the screws in the back. detune your guitar back so its flat and the tension is low. THEN when u tune the guitar to LOW E string, high e string, a, b, d, g tune in that order. if u still cant get it even, and you have tried tightining the screws in the back then u are gonna have to go buy some springs to add to the back. i have 5 springs in mine for 12-56 drop c and my action, and bridge are low and parrelle with almost virtually no buzz. if u have more specific questions drop me a pm.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Quote by ThatDarnDavid
fr is pain in the ass. if u added higher gadge strings u might need to add springs in the back or tighted the screws in the back. detune your guitar back so its flat and the tension is low. THEN when u tune the guitar to LOW E string, high e string, a, b, d, g tune in that order. if u still cant get it even, and you have tried tightining the screws in the back then u are gonna have to go buy some springs to add to the back. i have 5 springs in mine for 12-56 drop c and my action, and bridge are low and parrelle with almost virtually no buzz. if u have more specific questions drop me a pm.

Dude...is grammar and shit that hard? I understood your post, but it hurt to read. Seriously.

TS, add two more springs. If those screws are indeed all the way tightened, then you need more tension via more springs.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

when adding springs to the back there was a slot on my guitar for springs to hook on, on the one end but not the other. what i did was hook the spring to the screw that screws into the bottom bridge plate to hold the springs in. then i screwed them down as far and tight as i could. works perfectly fine that way. other only option i would know is get a very small drill and drill more holes.

bottom of the guitar
<tuning pegs and neck, bridge>

------------------------------

....888888888888888 |||

D.888888888888888 |||

...888888888888888 |||

D.888888888888888 |||

...888888888888888 |||

-------------------------------

this is what i suggest for heavy gadge strings.

remember to loosen the screws when adding more springs and then re tightening them to find the right amount

just go to guitar center and ask for "springs for a floyd rose bridge" comes in a 3 pack for like 6-8 bucks usually use two of them and make a key chain out of the other. they dont have them sitting out and will have to go get them from the guitar tech but it will be one of the few times a guitar center employee will look at you like you know what your doing LOL.
Last edited by ThatDarnDavid at Nov 9, 2011,
Quote by valennic
Dude...is grammar and shit that hard? I understood your post, but it hurt to read. Seriously.

TS, add two more springs. If those screws are indeed all the way tightened, then you need more tension via more springs.

yea sry i just dont give a f
Quote by epiphone316
try adding another spring if you can, your springs may be stretched.

ding ding ding ding!!!!! We have a winner. Add another spring. It is not a rocket ship kiddes it is a guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by ThatDarnDavid
yea sry i just dont give a f

Just saying that if you're trying to make a point, it's generally easier to get that point across when people can understand what you're saying

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by y1p33y0
So I was restringing my MAB3 and came upon my first real issue on this guitar that I cannot fix on my own. After I restrung it I noticed the back of the bridge is raised up. Ive never had this problem when changing out strings, and am fairly new to these Floyd Rose setups. I have looked up many ways to fix this on youtube and google. Couldnt really find anything that worked for me. I tried tightening the two screws in the back that hold the plate that holds the springs. Didnt work. Tried retuning using a butter knife to hold bridge, when I pulled it out the bridge just went up again. This is such a bummer. Can someone help me?

yea I know second pic is kinda hard to see the angle, but I thought pics might help

TS do you think that 5 springs dont fit?

is that why you think you cant add springs?

add springs. if there doesnt seem to be room, then remove the lock,
and add spings.

OR

swap out for heavier gauge springs, and hope that 3 heavy springs are enough.

that's all there is to it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011