I need a string gauge that would be good for switching from D standard to Drop C. I have a 25" scale neck. Since I have no strings, I'm using a 11-48 and there is hardly any tension is them. I know 12's Would be good... 54, 58, 60? Remember... I don't want the tension in between... on the low D and C. A little bit too loose on the C... and a Little bit too tight on D. Sort of a compromise.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
12-56 is good IMO.

that was over kill for me on a 24.5" scale.

for me, ideally drop C/D standard I think that zakkwylde set thats 11/70 or something, its all preference
11-52 or so should do well but like others have said, its all preference......
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
check skinny bottom, heavy top 10-56s
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
usually its 10-52, not 56 but I think it may be a bit thin for the OPs taste

And I just read the OP again, try 12-60, I used them for like a month, then realized I hated 12s but the 60 gauge on the bottom was nice, it maintains enough tension down to B standard for me, but between D standard and drop C its pretty tight
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Nov 7, 2011,
I use 10 guage Light top/heavy bottom (10-52s) and then I buy a separate 56 (or 54, whatever your preference) guage E string for the drop C. I love it.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Quote by Seanthesheep
I love 10-52 too for drop C on certain guitars, but the TS finds 11-48 too loose, so hes asking what will work for him, even though both me and you have different preferences

When someone says 10-52 is perfect or a gauge is too loose it gives me a Idea of what I want. I use 10-52 on Drop D and 11-48 in E. So Now I know I need a 12- 54 or 56
Either 11-54 or 12-54
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
i would personally get a generic .011 set, and then get a seperate low E that is a little bigger. Also, I hate playing in drop tunings it feels retarded.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
i would personally get a generic .011 set, and then get a seperate low E that is a little bigger. Also, I hate playing in drop tunings it feels retarded.

Then that's your loss, and you miss out on so much other music you could play

Not everything can be played in standard.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I like tight strings, so..

It's all personal preference.

And I'm on a 25.5" scale.

you call that tight? I tune up a step and use 11s
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
^tune up a step with .13s then you can call yourself a man.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
^I played 13s in standard on acoustic for the first ten years playing guitar. Nothing on an electric feels heavy.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I use 18s hand crafted by Satan's minions, made from the intestines of children, tuned to drop E on my Schecter HELLraiser.

Eat shit.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by bluestratplayer
^I played 13s in standard on acoustic for the first ten years playing guitar. Nothing on an electric feels heavy.

13's on an acoustic sound like.....well.....13's on an acoustic. Just harder to bend.

But 13's on an electric sound oh so thick and full....especially on high gain.......

Though cleans IMO go to the dogs my H-51 with the 14's sounds like a weird hybrid between a bass and a guitar even when I play yhe exact same notes.
Quote by bluestratplayer

I played an acoustic with 13s in open D for a good five years before switching to electric. what most would call heavy feels light and snappy to me, and I like light and snappy.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
10-54 would be ideal imo. I personally use 12-54 for C standard, its not overly tight and not flubby at all.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*