Is that true? Given that true bypass cuts the signal of the pedal altogether, would the reverb/delay just 'cut off'? I know Strymon pedals allow for a trail off when deactivated but you have to switch the analog buffered bypass. Is there a way around this? The Eventide Space supposedly has true bypass and I'm pretty sure that would have a trail off as it has every known sound and feature under the sun!
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Yes. True bypass means it bypasses the the circuitry completely. How will it effect the signal when the circuit is bypassed?

muledit: Also I wouldn't get caught up to much with wanting everything to be true bypass. A good buffer is > true bypass > a bad buffer.
In general that's how I go about it. Although you probably don't want everything to have good buffers, just like you don't probably want everything to be true bypass.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Nov 6, 2011,
you sure theres not a way to fade of the effect from the chain gradually to trail off the effect? Itd have to be variable to the delay/reverb setting so it may just bee too complicated if it is even possible
Quote by Seanthesheep
you sure theres not a way to fade of the effect from the chain gradually to trail off the effect? Itd have to be variable to the delay/reverb setting so it may just bee too complicated if it is even possible

That's what I was hoping for, but it does sound quite complex. Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming!
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
The Malekko Chicklet trails, as does the Hardwire DL-8 i really don't find it that usefull though, it's a nice touch but not a dealbreaker.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by Seanthesheep

I don't think it would be possible for a fade between buffered and true bypass if that's what you mean. You could make something switch between the two, but there would be an audible difference.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
I don't think it would be possible for a fade between buffered and true bypass if that's what you mean. You could make something switch between the two, but there would be an audible difference.

It would definetly be possible, it would be horribly complex to wire though. It would be unnecesarily hard and it would just be a wast since the effect could be done easier by more simple procedures.
My gear:
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by Gord@k
It would definetly be possible, it would be horribly complex to wire though. It would be unnecesarily hard and it would just be a wast since the effect could be done easier by more simple procedures.

I'm no expert, so clear this up for me if I'm wrong [probably am]. But how is it possible to fade in true bypass?
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
I'm no expert, so clear this up for me if I'm wrong [probably am]. But how is it possible to fade in true bypass?

I'm not really an expert either since i'm an apprentice pedal builder but me and my collegue were discussing earling if it would be possible to kind of make a distortion pedal that fades between fuzz and distortion, kind of like a reverse tremolo. You'd need something that fades the two circuits together, like an automatic potentiometer that can be triggered on and off
My gear:
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by Gord@k
I'm not really an expert either since i'm an apprentice pedal builder but me and my collegue were discussing earling if it would be possible to kind of make a distortion pedal that fades between fuzz and distortion, kind of like a reverse tremolo. You'd need something that fades the two circuits together, like an automatic potentiometer that can be triggered on and off

Yeah, but then it wouldn't be true bypass would it? Not that a pot would affect tone much.

Actually, you could make it so that when it gets to 'true bypass' [with a pot] it then switches to actual true bypass via a microprocessor. Seems like too much pain for little gain though.

Meh.
RIP Gooze

cats
guys like strymon and eventide put good buffers on their stuff. i seriously doubt you'd even be able to tell the difference between the tone of true/buffer.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You could design a circuit that does it but no commercial pedal offers it. You'd need a micro controller that would be programmed to kill the input to the delay circuit and reroute it directly to the output of the buffered path using something like a CD4066 when you hit a momentary NO switch. Then, based on the delay time, it would then trigger a latching relay once the last repeat had died off. The extra work and circuitry plus the time spent programming the micro controller and the cost of the extra components really isn't worth it. Don't get caught up in true bypass/buffered. It really doesn't matter all that much.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Nov 7, 2011,
Quote by mmolteratx
You could design a circuit that does it but no commercial pedal offers it. You'd need a micro controller that would be programmed to kill the input to the delay circuit and reroute it directly to the output of the buffered path using something like a CD4066 when you hit a momentary NO switch. Then, based on the delay time, it would then trigger a latching relay once the last repeat had died off. The extra work and circuitry plus the time spent programming the micro controller and the cost of the extra components really isn't worth it. Don't get caught up in true bypass/buffered. It really doesn't matter all that much.

This is what I came in here to say (admittedly, I wouldn't know what chip to use). It's stupidly difficult, and pointless. If you're going to go to all that trouble, it's better to just use a proper buffer and be done with it.
Pretty much any PIC or AVR could handle it. Admittedly, they're fairly cheap but the extra design work would be significant.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mulefish
Yeah, but then it wouldn't be true bypass would it? Not that a pot would affect tone much.

Actually, you could make it so that when it gets to 'true bypass' [with a pot] it then switches to actual true bypass via a microprocessor. Seems like too much pain for little gain though.

Meh.

Well yeah,exactly, not even nearly worth it.
My gear:
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Malekko Chicklett