A couple of my buddies have a concept project they are working on and this is the very first song that has come of it so far. I got the privilege to play the guitar parts on it and even though I am more accustomed to fast metal songs, I'm happy with how it came out.

http://soundcloud.com/freslevensbones/niaserie-demo

My friends would like to hear any critiques you have whether it be the song writing or the production (the drummer also mixed everything and is pretty happy how it came out!) or whatever.

I hope you enjoy the track like I do! It's a very well written piece!

As far as gear and recording goes:

Drums were mic'd and recorded in my friends house.

I believe the bass was recorded using the direct out on one of those Roland cube amps.

We used my agile 727 with Crunch lab/Liquifire pickups going into my Axe Fx Ultra.

Everything was recorded into Logic Pro.

Give these guys some props, they deserve it!
Nice! I can't complain bout anything really, this sounds real good. I like prog a lot, but I'm not the biggest fan. That aside, I think you have got something real solid. I love what the song builds up into at 1:36 what an epic transition there. Also the atmosphere in this is fantastic. Reminds me of Dream Theater!
C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494066
Fantastic intro. Definitely reminds me of 'Images and Words'-era Dream Theater, which is awesome. that's a sound I've always wanted to capture with some of prog songs. The sound quality is perfect so far. The atmosphere is superb. Just got to the part at 4:00, definitely my favorite part of the song.

The playing of all the musicians here is great, very clean and precise. Consider this favorited on Soundcloud. Normally I'd write a much bigger critique, but there's not much to critique here. Really fantastic song

Feel free to crit my new song:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494243
Last edited by Metorical at Nov 7, 2011,
Nice intro man, pretty relaxed but mood building....
Nice bass riffs too... The synth you added at the background makes all flow evenly...
The guitar tone is awesome and fits the song perfectly, in my opinion... I feel a dream theater influence... or maybe Satriani's sounds? I dont know, but it sound all eclectic to me...
LOVED the cut at 04:00 pretty awesome.... the drums were so aggresive there...
Its a shame that it hasnt got any vocals...

------------------------------
If you think that I made a good review of your work, would you be so kind of checking out my work?
This is my website: www.manhattanrock.com.ar
And this is my work, that if you can, please leave a message at the youtube video, so that it starts to move around... If you like it, please, rep it up and subscribe! I will do that back!
http://youtu.be/QsZvk8PrHOI

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
Quote by MrArarat
Nice intro man, pretty relaxed but mood building....
Nice bass riffs too... The synth you added at the background makes all flow evenly...
The guitar tone is awesome and fits the song perfectly, in my opinion... I feel a dream theater influence... or maybe Satriani's sounds? I dont know, but it sound all eclectic to me...
LOVED the cut at 04:00 pretty awesome.... the drums were so aggresive there...
Its a shame that it hasnt got any vocals...

------------------------------
If you think that I made a good review of your work, would you be so kind of checking out my work?
This is my website: www.manhattanrock.com.ar
And this is my work, that if you can, please leave a message at the youtube video, so that it starts to move around... If you like it, please, rep it up and subscribe! I will do that back!
http://youtu.be/QsZvk8PrHOI

I'm sure Caleb (the bass player) will be excited to hear your review! He wrote the song and did all of the synth/piano stuff.

As far as the guitar tone, that was my job. Thanks man, it really means a lot! For me, I'm more influenced by death metal and some heavier prog bands. The song was definitely influenced by dream theater. I believe Caleb really enjoy's them, but I haven't listened to them much.

I'm sure Jeff will be pleased that you like his playing on the drums!

I really enjoyed the review and thank you so much! I'll definitely give your stuff a listen and leave some feedback!
So, I first came into this ready to hate it! and I don't, more or less i put the "most tasteful thing I will hear all day" to the test. Everything is great honestly, the mood in this song is fantastic, really full a lot going on at anytime in the song and its a real long song. *Cheers* to all of you guys, great job. Payed a lot of attention to the drums, the cymbals are real bright and mixed well, in fact the whole song is mixed really well, couldn't find any odds spots where something would be too loud or anything like that. Great transitions and progression through the song, flows great! Spot on guitar tone, I really like the WHOLE song here guys lol, probably going to listen to it again.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494508 this is me and my buddies .
I've got to say, I absolutely LOVE this. Quite possibly the best song I've heard from a member on this forum, absolutely superb! I honestly have nothing to critique about the arrangement and playing, everything is awesome and gels together very well.

Mix wise, the only thing I'd say is that the hi-hats need to be tamed a tiny bit, they are a little overbearing, compared to the rest of the cymbals and instruments. The kick also doesn't really cut through well throughout most of the song, it needs more presence in the higher end of the spectrum to be more audible over everything else going on.

I think it could benefit from some vocals in parts. Not necessarily as a focus, but more as another instrument (ala: Between the Buried and Me). Something to really just bring the melody and instrumentation together.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Bumping this cause it deserves to be heard by more people
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I really enjoyed listenning to it...
I don't have any critic right now but I'm definitely going to listen to this one again so maybe something will pop up later :>

BTW is there a download for a mp3 for this?