hey dues im in a pickle here. I play all types of metal and im looking for a bone crunching pickups in the bridge position that will slice through as well when i use it for leads and a neck pickups that is nice and fluid but also very tonal and soulful with some bite. These pickups are going into my gibson les paul. In which position should i put tthem? Based on the given criteria ive given you here, which on should go in the bridge, and which one should i throw in the neck. This has been eating away at me and the suspense is killing me. Advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys.
The higher output one should go in the bridge, otherwise the neck will overpower it.
West Ham United
If you've already bought them, you'll want the 81 in the bridge.

If you mean you're looking for pickups, I would really strongly suggest an 85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck if you're going the EMG route. The 60 is a much better neck pickup than the 85. It actually sounds like a neck pickup, instead of a bridge pickup that got lost on its way there.
I've spent many years with EMG actives. They are hands down my favourite pick ups.

My personal favourite arrangement is an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. The 60 is a much nicer pick up and cleans up better in the neck. I play progressive metal, so shred and what not.

I've tried an 85 in the bridge for a long while, and I find it just doesn't bite or cut through quite as nice as an 81. On that note, it does pack the punch/bass a little better though. So it depends what you want I guess.

My recommendation is a 60 in the neck though ,for sure... and then choosing the 81 or 85 in the bridge. 81 is my recommendation from experience and personal taste
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
For a LP I'd also recommend 81 bridge and 60 neck. Like they say, the 60 is a very nice articulate neck pickup and sounds great for cleans, and being that a LP is mahog and already a very warm instrument, I think the 85 would be too warm/overkill whereas the 81 would be a perfect match.
thanks alot guys for all the input. I didnt realize that because my gibson is mahogany that an 85 in the bridge would be too much warm/overkill. Is that because its an alnico magnet and already warmer sounding in nature? Whereas the 60 and 81 are ceramic.
Quote by DeathShredder23
thanks alot guys for all the input. I didnt realize that because my gibson is mahogany that an 85 in the bridge would be too much warm/overkill. Is that because its an alnico magnet and already warmer sounding in nature? Whereas the 60 and 81 are ceramic.

Well it's possible you'll like the 85 in the bridge w/ your LP, but I personally like tone that is more balanced and not too bright or too warm, which the 81 in mahog will do for you. Yeah the 85 is alnico and warmer in nature, more low mids and a bit less highs to its sound, which is very useful when matched with a bright-sounding guitar. Someone w/ technical knowledge of how pickups work can explain that to you, but that is the general gist of things.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Nov 9, 2011,
81 in the bridge. No debate there.

Neck is preference. While the 60 does clean up nicely, I've been using one for a while now and I really don't like it that much. I think the 85 sounds much better with distortion for leads.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I had an LP copy that was all mahogany. I put the EMG 81 in the bridge and EMG 60 in the neck. That was a sweet combo. Later I installed the EMG EXG and the EMG Afterburner replacing the two knobs (tone & volume), put on 18V mod and I had a rocking guitar.

It was an Agile AL3000 and I would've kept it if the darn neck didn't warp on me.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+