Ok what are they and what do they do? People talk about them when i say im looking to by a new guitar. Like single and double or ones that can switch back and fourth.
A pick up has a magnet with metal poles and thin copper wire wrapped around the poles, this creates a field that the guitar string interupts and makes a sound. The copper wire winding is the coil, the likes of fender strats tend to habve single coils ie one set of pole pieces with one set of windings, a humbucker has two sets of poles and two sets of windings side by side. You could google it for more info.

Ah bollox, pipped at the post lol
This...in the pit?seriously guys...
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Quote by jetfuel495
well ones is for silly grandpas musics and the others makes goods metals

Times like these I wish I still had my Toki avatar.

Change it back you dick
Depends whether they're single or married. The single ones scream soul and bl00z but the married ones are only for death metalz.
Quote by AgainstYou
Depends whether they're single or married. The single ones scream soul and bl00z but the married ones are only for death metalz.

Oh, absolutely.

You can't play death metal with single coils, and you can't play blues with humbuckers.

It's the law.
Quote by AgainstYou

I can play the blueziest blues you evar herd (if i want to, don't really listen to that much blues)on my EMG 85... Metal humbucker.
Umad?
Quote by Anchr
I can play the blueziest blues you evar herd (if i want to, don't really listen to that much blues)on my EMG 85... Metal humbucker.
Umad?

I can ride my bike with no handlebars

U Mad?
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf

Look at me, look at me
hands in the air like it's good to be
ALIVE
and I'm a famous rapper
even when the paths're all crookedy
I can show you how to do-si-do
I can show you how to scratch a record
I can take apart the remote control
And I can almost put it back together?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by lockwolf

U Mad?

I'm Dutch. You need to be able to drive without handlebars or you're a social outcast :p
So nah.
Quote by jetfuel495
well ones is for silly grandpas musics and the others makes goods metals

Times like these I wish I still had my Toki avatar.

You shouldn't speak like that since you abandoned Toki. Damn traitor

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by AlteredMaggot18
Ok what are they and what do they do? People talk about them when i say im looking to by a new guitar. Like single and double or ones that can switch back and fourth.

I'm sorry, cause you're a noob, but I lol'd
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
You've put me in a quite difficult position.

Do I back down...a sign of weakness...or do I martyr this shit....