i am going to be building a partscaster with my fiancee and she is going to build one with me. she is going to be going for squier i am going the MIM route.

i know guitarfetish is in existance, but i dont really think anything from there would be an upgrade on the MIM, haven't heard the best things about their quality, would it be better for a squier?

if it were a perfect world, i would simply put all of the MIM hardware and pickups/pots/switch/jack etc into her squier, and she would have another decent guitars. then i would pickup up some stuff for mine which will be an HH with just a single volume pot, probably throw grover tuners on and maybe change the sustain block and go for some graph tech saddles.

does this sound reasonable?

are there any other sites that sell parts that are on the cheaper side but better than guitarfetish?

i figure i could get her strat for $75 and i am sure i could nail an MIM for around $225. drop $150-200 additional on mine and have some fun.

i have a lot of experiance refinishing guitars, building guitars, etc, so i dont anticipate any problems.

than again, how interchangable is the stuff between squier and MIM?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
All the electronics will drop right in. The pickguard will be close, you may have to drill a few holes where they don't line up, but the guard covers the old holes so that's not an issue. The trem should drop in (on most models), the most you might have to do is a bit of routing in the back if the MIM block is bigger. I don't recall if that's the case, but I wouldn't rule it out. The tuners would be where I'd expect trouble. I don't know if they're the same footprint but it seems like every brand uses something different. The good news there is that you can probably drill a hole or two and be able to use the Mexi machine heads on the Squier.

You'll have to route your MIM for a neck humbucker. I believe they're HSS routed stock.

Overall, it seems quite reasonable. If you can do a little routing and drilling, you shouldn't have any issues. You may not even need to get that far. A couple of drill holes might be all you need. Keep in mind that the model will make a difference - don't buy a Bullet. I'd think a Squier Affinity or Standard would be most similar to a Mexi.
Quote by Roc8995
All the electronics will drop right in. The pickguard will be close, you may have to drill a few holes where they don't line up, but the guard covers the old holes so that's not an issue. The trem should drop in (on most models), the most you might have to do is a bit of routing in the back if the MIM block is bigger.

i was sure all of the electronics, thanks for letting me know about the pickguard, as that was one of my concerns because i didn't know if it would cover the potential prexisting holes.

routing probably wont be an issue, i have one and am familiar with it but i am certainly not a master.

Quote by Roc8995
The tuners would be where I'd expect trouble. I don't know if they're the same footprint but it seems like every brand uses something different. The good news there is that you can probably drill a hole or two and be able to use the Mexi machine heads on the Squier.

You'll have to route your MIM for a neck humbucker. I believe they're HSS routed stock.

i think some of the MIM bodies i have seen do have bucker routing in the neck position, but i am not certain, and i trust your answer more. i dont tend to do much customizing on my guitas other than pickups occasionally.

the only thing i am not confident about with my router is that it has a rather small table (hand held), and that isn't quite ideal.

as far as the tuners go, i think i will keep hers in as long as they are functioning. i will keep mine just to hold onto. i will upgrade mine.

Quote by Roc8995
Overall, it seems quite reasonable. If you can do a little routing and drilling, you shouldn't have any issues. You may not even need to get that far. A couple of drill holes might be all you need. Keep in mind that the model will make a difference - don't buy a Bullet. I'd think a Squier Affinity or Standard would be most similar to a Mexi.

i thought it would be pretty simple/easy. i was definitely planning on an affinity or standard squier, and not a bullet, thanks for making it conclusive.

thanks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i think some of the MIM bodies i have seen do have bucker routing in the neck position, but i am not certain, and i trust your answer more. i dont tend to do much customizing on my guitas other than pickups occasionally.

the only thing i am not confident about with my router is that it has a rather small table (hand held), and that isn't quite ideal.

I feel like I've seem HSH routed MIM strats, but they tend to change it once in a while and I'm not confident enough to say for sure which one is more common, or what years they used each one. You could wind up with either route, and probably won't know beforehand what it is. The good news is, it's not tough to widen the neck pickup route for a humbucker. The wiring channel gets you a good start, so really all you have to do is take out a chunk to the left and right of the channel below the single coil route. You could do that with almost any kind of router. Even a dremel could handle it if you were patient.

Just checked with a friend who has 3 2000-2005 MIMs. They're all HSS routed.
Quote by Roc8995
I feel like I've seem HSH routed MIM strats, but they tend to change it once in a while and I'm not confident enough to say for sure which one is more common, or what years they used each one. You could wind up with either route, and probably won't know beforehand what it is. The good news is, it's not tough to widen the neck pickup route for a humbucker. The wiring channel gets you a good start, so really all you have to do is take out a chunk to the left and right of the channel below the single coil route. You could do that with almost any kind of router. Even a dremel could handle it if you were patient.

Just checked with a friend who has 3 2000-2005 MIMs. They're all HSS routed.

thanks. i have a 94 or a 96 i dont remember, but i am not going to butcher that one, as the white has aged so beautifully. MIM's were a lot better than the other ones i have owned. i have owned IIRC a 1999, two 2004's, a 2006, a 2009 and the aformentioned 94 or 96. strats just come and go for me, but my 94 or whatever it is is the only keeper.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
For $500 all in couldnt you buy 2 used MIMs?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
For $500 all in couldnt you buy 2 used MIMs?

yes, but i want mine with upgrades HH with a pair of SD's or maybe something else because i have too many with dimarzios and want a slightly different sound., and she is fine with a squier with MIM guts. basically just for fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
the better gfs stuff is sort of a sidegrade from the MIM (and some MIA) parts

The strat trems with brass blocks are great and their higher end floyd clones are both really nice. I don't have any experience with the trem with steel block but I can't imagine them being any better or worse than the brass blocks.

The tuners in my experience are ok. fine for the money, better than most stock tuners on lower end guitars, but definitely not gotohs or anything like that. I haven't tried their locking tuners, those might be pretty good.

The rest of their hardware doesn't really have much that can go wrong with them.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by CJ Noble
the better gfs stuff is sort of a sidegrade from the MIM (and some MIA) parts

The strat trems with brass blocks are great and their higher end floyd clones are both really nice. I don't have any experience with the trem with steel block but I can't imagine them being any better or worse than the brass blocks.

The tuners in my experience are ok. fine for the money, better than most stock tuners on lower end guitars, but definitely not gotohs or anything like that. I haven't tried their locking tuners, those might be pretty good.

The rest of their hardware doesn't really have much that can go wrong with them.

i heard that the trem blocks were not that great from gfs, and that in one of my MIM's that the block was better and bigger.

the only reason for tuner replacement is for appearance.

side note: i generally am not the type of guitarist who has to have pretty looking gear, i do have some, but what i play most certainly isn't in good shape its been broken in from many years of playing., but i am looking for a certain image for this strat, so i am going to be shelling out a few bucks for black hardware. i have a LX500L bill lawrence pickup i may place at the bridge position with something different in the neck.

i dont know. i will figure it out as it comes.

thanks for the help.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i heard that the trem blocks were not that great from gfs, and that in one of my MIM's that the block was better and bigger.

the only reason for tuner replacement is for appearance.

side note: i generally am not the type of guitarist who has to have pretty looking gear, i do have some, but what i play most certainly isn't in good shape its been broken in from many years of playing., but i am looking for a certain image for this strat, so i am going to be shelling out a few bucks for black hardware. i have a LX500L bill lawrence pickup i may place at the bridge position with something different in the neck.

i dont know. i will figure it out as it comes.

thanks for the help.
most of their blocks are pot metal but if you get one of the ones that specifically say steel or brass then you'll have a good block.

I know what you mean about not having pretty gear. my stuff is all players gear, not showman's gear. it all sounds great and is as comfortable as can be but isn't particularly pretty
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Nov 8, 2011,