I want to get an amp that nails that late 60-early 80 hard rock tone you hear on so many albums (Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, AC/DC, etc). I also want that 80s metal tone. And I mean Heavy Metal, not Glam. Stuff like Dio, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Mercyful Fate, Motorhead, etc. And that british tone Thrash and Death metal of the 80s.

My budget is no more than $1500 and I don't care if it is new or used. What I have my eye on so far is:

Marshall JVM210H
Marshall VM 2466
Laney VH100R
Splawn Quick Rod
Splawn Quick Rod or used JCM800.
Perhaps a ceriatone or other clone?
RIP Gooze

cats
How does the JVM and Quick Rod compare? Also while I can use single channel amps effectively I prefer multi-channel amps.
Egnater renagade ....
Quote by mmjohn
Egnater renagade ....

This amp is quite good.

But he has a $1500 budget.
The Splawn is a much better amp and will do everything he needs it to and more.

Quick Rod gets my vote.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Mesa Stiletto, or a Marshall 2203!

You will need a boost with the VM and the 2203 though.
The JVM could also be good but I have never played it.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Look at Orange man

I'm picking up an AD30 in the next few days and it's great for classic rock and can do metal
Check out my fitness blog here
death metal from the 80's?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
death metal from the 80's?

Death started in the late 80's. Wiki it.
Quote by Sputnik1
Death started in the late 80's. Wiki it.

i was a teen in the 80s.

deal with it.
maybe. but i was into everything metal back then. it wasn't until later that i realized how big of posers those guys really were.

TS - try a quick rod, it's a solid choice.
yeah - Old Skool Death Metal started in the 80s

Here are some opinions if you want my .311 cents

JVM - I don't care for the JVMs but if I had to live with one I'd get the 2 channel 210H. To me, the distortion is just to fake or 'contrived' sounding. I'm not really sure how to describe it. I know a lot of people (including professionals) that really like these amps. I just cannot gel with them and I've tried lots of times. I really do want to like it. The cleans are good imo with the reverb and maybe OD1 on green mode but that is about it. It has nicer cleans than the Splawn but cannot touch Splawn in the drive department. Also, for the price, I don't consider the JVMs to built very well. If you've ever played one you'll know what I'm taking about. The pots are sporadic and they do not have that 'made like tank' feel like other amps do. Reminds me too much of the DSL/TSLs. They are a love hate amp imo.

Vintage Modern - never played.
Laney VH100 - never played.

Splawn Quick Rod - awesome overdrive tones. Very smooth, tight, articulate, punchy, middy, etc. The fact that they are clear and articulate really helps with drop tunings too. No flubbing out on this amp even if pushed really hard. The 3 Gears really give you a wide range of tones just up to modern metal. Should cover everything you play really well. My only complaint on the Splawns is the fact that the bias pot is inside the amp and the clean channel is a bit lack luster. Granted the Splawn is based on your typical hot-rodded Plexi and JCM800 tones so it is not supposed to have great cleans if that makes sense - but they are just kinda ....there. I mean it takes pedals real well and you can use the clean channel for that wonderfully but that's it. The best cleans are actually on OD1 Gear 1 with the guitar volume turned down a bit or single coil. Also, they are a gigging man's amp and need to be cranked up to get to the sweet spot. They are absolutely built like a tank - extremely well done with a hand wired power section. Pots are smooth and even and the fit n finish are top notch. They also have a very particular mid tone that some love and some hate.

Egnater Renegade 65w head / Tourmaster 212 cab - this is a favorite amp of mine. I've played it 5 or 6 times (not the same one either). This amp has the most versatility of the bunch so far. In addition to the 'Mesa' like knobs and switches to mess with it also takes a huge variety of power tubes with no modding or special biasing. It is a two channel amp with each channel set up basically the same. What is different is the power tubes on each side. You can have EL34s on one side, for example, for your Marshall crunch (which it does well) and 6L6s on the other side for your Fender clean tones (which it also does well). Each channel has its own EQ, switches and channel volume. Then there is a Master volume. It also has a 65w/18w switch which is great (for each channel). Then it has a 'blend' knob to blend both power sections together similar to the ISF knob on the Blackstars. The drive is real smooth and similar to the Splawn but maybe not as aggressive nor modern. It should handle everything you play though. The clean channel is better than the Splawn and the JVM imo. The reverb is awesome. One of the best features of this amp is the footswitch. It allows you to manage most of these parameters with a foot stomp. Set one channel to EL34 crunch at 18w and then the other to 65w for cleans with reverb and switch back and forth and you'll fall in love. My only concern with these (and it is not really out of personal experience) is the quality. I've heard some not so good QC issues with these amp but nothing specific that I can point to.

Also -with your budget there should be lots of other things to look at well. I've been in your threads before but I do not remember where you live generally. Obviously your budget is higher

Good luck
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 7, 2011,
Yes? They kind of came up with the genre.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP