Hey there,

I will be purchasing some individual guitar effects pedals very soon(chorus, flanger, delay, etc) and they will all be hooked up to a Gigrig Midi-14 so I can make my own presets and avoid the tap dancing thing. I have never owned or used single pedals before but was wondering how I would go about powering them? I'll be ordering them from the US but they will be used in Australia(240V), will that be an issue? Would a step up transformer be needed? I know Voodoo Labs make a product that powers multiple pedals, would this be good for my situation? How does it work? There will be 7-8 pedals all up and the Midi-14... What are my options? Thanks in advance!
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
allright.

First off, the pedals all take in 9v. so as long as you have a power source giving it 9v, it can come from all over the world.

now, if your gonna have like 6+ pedals i would definitely get the vodoolab, for ease of use and way less plugs than individual power sources.

the vodoo power supply works as you'd imagine. plug into outlet, plug pedals into it via cables supplied.

and... yeah, as long as you buy the power supply in australia you will be fine.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Yeah you probably need to get something to convert the power if you're buying American. Do other appliances from North America work there?
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
allright.

First off, the pedals all take in 9v. so as long as you have a power source giving it 9v, it can come from all over the world.

now, if your gonna have like 6+ pedals i would definitely get the vodoolab, for ease of use and way less plugs than individual power sources.

the vodoo power supply works as you'd imagine. plug into outlet, plug pedals into it via cables supplied.

Too cool. I guess I will have to find out if there is an option for the Voodoo Pedal Power to take in 240V though. Are some pedals 12v or 18v? Do I just use normal guitar cables to hook the pedals up to eachother/the Gigrig Midi-14?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Necronomicon
Yeah you probably need to get something to convert the power if you're buying American. Do other appliances from North America work there?

Not unless they have a voltage switch at the back. The 110/120V system in the US is far different to the 240V system here. I purchased an amp head from Germany which runs on 230V and it works perfect here. 110V is too big of a stretch though...
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Are there any other methods? Some of the pedals I want are 18v or 24v so they will take up more outlets of the 8 on the Pedal Power II...
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
allright.

Hey I am from Australia and have bought every single one of my pedals online from the US. I use a Visual Sound 1 Spot to power them and have never had a problem power-wise. As said above all pedals bar a very select few take 9V.
Quote by Megadeth09
Not unless they have a voltage switch at the back. The 110/120V system in the US is far different to the 240V system here. I purchased an amp head from Germany which runs on 230V and it works perfect here. 110V is too big of a stretch though...

Australia is 230V.

muledit: Not all pedals are 9V. Check your pedals first. The majority are; but not all of them
Quote by ibanart300
Hey I am from Australia and have bought every single one of my pedals online from the US. I use a Visual Sound 1 Spot to power them and have never had a problem power-wise. As said above all pedals bar a very select few take 9V.

Yes buying pedals is fine from the US. Buying something to power pedals probably isn't. Unless it can take 230V.
The Visual Sound 1 Spot is good on the cheap to power pedals. It can get noisy though.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Nov 7, 2011,
Quote by mulefish
Australia is 230V.

muledit: Not all pedals are 9V. Check your pedals first. The majority are; but not all of them

Yes buying pedals is fine from the US. Buying something to power pedals probably isn't. Unless it can take 230V.
The Visual Sound 1 Spot is good on the cheap to power pedals. It can get noisy though.

I do want an Eventide Space and maybe Timefactor, as well as an EHX DMM which is 24v... I have heard Eventide products need their own transformer?? I know you can use a Y-joint to hook up the EHX pedals to two 12V outputs. At the moment I'm looking at a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II(possibly 2 of them) or the MXR CAE Power System MC-403(although using a Y-joint would be harder as it only has 9V or 18V options)...
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by ibanart300

Nah, don't bother with a 20 dollar power supply with his equipment.

I would look at a moderately priced power condition.

Voodoo labs or Fuel Tank.

As long as it has isolated plugs n shiz
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Nah, don't bother with a 20 dollar power supply with his equipment.

I would look at a moderately priced power condition.

Voodoo labs or Fuel Tank.

As long as it has isolated plugs n shiz

Thanks champ I'll probably go for the Voodoo Labs(possibly 2 of them...). Was looking at the MXR product but many of it's voltage outputs were not of use to me.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Megadeth09
Thanks champ I'll probably go for the Voodoo Labs(possibly 2 of them...). Was looking at the MXR product but many of it's voltage outputs were not of use to me.

Yeah, if you have something like 12v, 18v, etc. The voodoo labs unit will use I think more than one plug on the unit.

With pedals that require that much power, you might be better off with a separate, dedicated power brick that is made for the pedal, but that depends on your setup
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Yeah, if you have something like 12v, 18v, etc. The voodoo labs unit will use I think more than one plug on the unit.

With pedals that require that much power, you might be better off with a separate, dedicated power brick that is made for the pedal, but that depends on your setup

When you say 'power brick' do you mean a dedicated power supply that runs from the actual pedal, straight into the wall outlet?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Megadeth09
When you say 'power brick' do you mean a dedicated power supply that runs from the actual pedal, straight into the wall outlet?

Nooooo, the last time I played with an AC pedal, it always shocked me.

Power Brick:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/boss-psa-120s-adapter/155555000000000

If you have a giant pedal, that requires a wacky voltage, or if it takes up more than one plug on the Voodoo Labs to use, then I recommend a power supply dedicated solely to that pedal.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Nooooo, the last time I played with an AC pedal, it always shocked me.

Power Brick:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/boss-psa-120s-adapter/155555000000000

If you have a giant pedal, that requires a wacky voltage, or if it takes up more than one plug on the Voodoo Labs to use, then I recommend a power supply dedicated solely to that pedal.

Ohhh I see. I guess I would have to look up the specific voltage of the pedal and select a power brick accordingly?

Is this how most people power their Eventide products too?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Last edited by Megadeth09 at Nov 8, 2011,
hmm you might want to check out the power range for Voodoo labs, I know say 1spot is trans-something (can't think of the word right now) so I got it in USA and it's 120-240 v so basically it auto-regulates itself. And yes we have 220v over here. So you could be lucky with the same thing with Voodoo lab's product
Quote by Vendetta V
hmm you might want to check out the power range for Voodoo labs, I know say 1spot is trans-something (can't think of the word right now) so I got it in USA and it's 120-240 v so basically it auto-regulates itself. And yes we have 220v over here. So you could be lucky with the same thing with Voodoo lab's product

If I purchase the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power from the US, it only runs on 120V(not switchable). However I can purchase it from Germanyand use an Australian power adaptor as both runs 230-240V.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II