since when i started playing i have been working on technique because i liked those fast runs paul gilbert style.
i know that playing guitar is not a race and its not about playing as fast as humanly possible, but a year ago i was drooling over the thought of playing 6's in the range of 100 bpm which i believe is a very decent speed. now that i can play 6's even at 113-115 it feels very slow and i feel like i have to bring it to 125-130.
is this normal or am i never going to stop "chasing the metronome"?
No....the better you get the easier things feel.

If you get a hard-on for chasing the metronome that's your problem lol, most people prefer to concentrate on playing music rather than playing fast for the sake of it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No....the better you get the easier things feel.

If you get a hard-on for chasing the metronome that's your problem lol, most people prefer to concentrate on playing music rather than playing fast for the sake of it.

eh I dunno I'd say it's about a 50-50 split between people who just want speed and people who play for feeling but other than that, definitely
Quote by jkielq91
My teacher says to play fast you have to think slow.

My mama used to say life is like a box of chocolate... sorry it sounded like that to my ears...

but when you say that you feel it's slow you mean you can play at that speed easily as it were slow? because if that's what you ment, that can only be good.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Nov 7, 2011,
Speed is very useful if you know where and how to use it. I think you SHOULD train speed, specially if it is fun to you, but do not train ONLY speed, there is so much more to guitar playing .
Playing fast all the time is kind of pointless, because like anything if you overuse it you diminish its impact. The whole point of fast playing is that it contrasts with slow stuff. If you constantly play at 120mph you're going to get a bit fed up with it but more importantly anybody listening will be bored out of their skulls.

A big part of making good music is keeping things interesting and dynamic - doing too much of anything will make that a lot harder to achieve.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Sudaka
but when you say that you feel it's slow you mean you can play at that speed easily as it were slow? because if that's what you ment, that can only be good.

yes thats pretty much what i wanted to say.

Quote by steven seagull
Playing fast all the time is kind of pointless, because like anything if you overuse it you diminish its impact. The whole point of fast playing is that it contrasts with slow stuff. If you constantly play at 120mph you're going to get a bit fed up with it but more importantly anybody listening will be bored out of their skulls.

A big part of making good music is keeping things interesting and dynamic - doing too much of anything will make that a lot harder to achieve.

exactly i agree with everything you said. like i said on the first post i dont see guitar as a race, so i love to listen and play slow stuff as well.
Quote by tappooh
since when i started playing i have been working on technique because i liked those fast runs paul gilbert style.
i know that playing guitar is not a race and its not about playing as fast as humanly possible, but a year ago i was drooling over the thought of playing 6's in the range of 100 bpm which i believe is a very decent speed. now that i can play 6's even at 113-115 it feels very slow and i feel like i have to bring it to 125-130.
is this normal or am i never going to stop "chasing the metronome"?

I think I know what's actually going on here because I used to have a similar problem:

What's probably happened is that your technique at your top speed is kind of bad, most likely tense, and because of this you're used to playing your fastest feeling like hard work. Given that when you improve your playing you're able to push your bad technique a little faster and the speeds you were capable of before are now physically easy. The feeling that you're used to associating with playing fast is now absent from those speeds so to you it feels 'slow' when it's actually just easier.

What you need to do is keep improving your technique and try to disassociate the feeling of playing fast from the feeling of playing hard. Make sure you always watch what you can do and make sure you never play to a point where it feels tense or like hard work; what you do should always feel physically easy.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I think I know what's actually going on here because I used to have a similar problem:

What's probably happened is that your technique at your top speed is kind of bad, most likely tense, and because of this you're used to playing your fastest feeling like hard work. Given that when you improve your playing you're able to push your bad technique a little faster and the speeds you were capable of before are now physically easy. The feeling that you're used to associating with playing fast is now absent from those speeds so to you it feels 'slow' when it's actually just easier.

What you need to do is keep improving your technique and try to disassociate the feeling of playing fast from the feeling of playing hard. Make sure you always watch what you can do and make sure you never play to a point where it feels tense or like hard work; what you do should always feel physically easy.

well i think its prefectly normal to be a little tense when you are trying to push your limits, thats the best way to improve. once you push your limit a bit further your "old limit" becomes easy. It took me over a year to get my technique right, im not saying im perfect, but i always make sure i am relaxed whenever i play, i play in front of a mirror when practicing so i can easly find out if im doing something wrong.