SO I have Played guitar for three years now and currently want to teach myself bass

Any tips I can get from people would help

Also
I'm going to purchase a. Fender squire P bass pack that has the amp and all
Smart idea for a first bass?
as you already pretty much have the left hand technique from playing guitar, concentrate on your right hand. Also try to learn playing with your fingers, picked bass sounds like crap.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by henrihell
as you already pretty much have the left hand technique from playing guitar, concentrate on your right hand. Also try to learn playing with your fingers, picked bass sounds like crap.

So focus on the plucking ? (like finger picking an acoustic)??
Well if you've been playing guitar for 3 years you'll understand how to play bass and right hand technique, etc. really the only difference with bass is you play single notes most of the time, its very rare to find chords in bass guitar music.

DO NOT play with a pick becuase it sounds horrible and if you ever compare the recordings of the exact same bass line, 1 picked 1 finger plucked, you will notics a distinct difference in the sound signal (this is if you are visualising the 2 recordings on recording software on a computer as I do almost everyday in my school, my classmate uses a pick and it sounds so horrible) theres a lot more attack with a pick.

rest your thumb on the side of the pickup (this is called the anchor point) and use your index and middle finges to pluck the strings, when reaching down for the A, D, G strings be careful not to mute the lower strings with your fingers.

thats about it, to get started with bass I'd suggest trying out some basic songs like Smoke On The Water, purely just to get the finger technique down, then move on to other stuff. If you'r feeling confident and feel like you have the technique there try Blood Brothers by Iron Maiden and Say You'll Haunt Me by Stone Sour, these songs have some pretty ballsy basslines.

Slap Bass is a different lesson for a different time, but you can go look at the likes of Marcus Miller and Mark King and Flea for now.
Right, for the moment, all I can say with confidence it this:

Ignore almost everything that these two people have just told you - it is opinionated and pretty bad advice.

When I have time later tonight, I'll try and write something up for you - but for now, check out MarloweDK on Youtube for some great playing advice.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Playing with a pick does not necessarily make bass sound worse. Playing with a pick and doing a shitty job with EQing/playing unnecessarily powerfully makes playing with a pick sound worse.
Quote by Xpl0r
Say You'll Haunt Me by Stone Sour, these songs have some pretty ballsy basslines.

Nah that guy uses a pick so it all sounds like shit. Don't bother with Matt Freeman either, all those wicked runs he does are moot because he uses a pick. Carol Kaye's pretty useless too. To name a couple.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Nah that guy uses a pick so it all sounds like shit. Don't bother with Matt Freeman either, all those wicked runs he does are moot because he uses a pick. Carol Kaye's pretty useless too. To name a couple.

Yeah, Megadeth is awful too. Never listen to the bass because it can't cut through the mix at all and sounds terrible.
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
Yeah, Megadeth is awful too. Never listen to the bass because it can't cut through the mix at all and sounds terrible.

Was gonna start off with easy punk songs
Maybe blink
stop ranting about using a pick...

i must say that i'd choose fingers over picks everyday, but there are very good bassist that play with picks.

BTW, i was in the same situation as you are now a month ago.

First, if you want to get advice of what bass you should be looking after, please say what's your budget.
Second, you'll need a bass amp too, cause you should never play bass through a guitar amp... you may danmage the speakers and it won't sound that good anyway.
Third, please search for a good teacher, it'll help you a lot, and will give you the tips to develop as a bassist beaaring in mind that you know something since you played guitar.
Fourth, please read the FAQ (completely, if possible), it will answer a lot of questions for you (did for me).
Fifth, if you need more help, please don't hesitate to ask... i found pretty good advice here at the bass forum

Hope i helped
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka

I believe they are jesting
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by henrihell
picked bass sounds like crap.

Quote by Xpl0r
DO NOT play with a pick becuase (sic) it sounds horrible

Nope.

Play with your fingers if you want, play with a pick if you want. I use both for different tones, for whatever the song calls for.

For the bass, the Squier starter pack is not bad at all. If you are willing to go used, you could find a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squier used, and pick up a used amp, you would be getting better quality gear for around the same price.

Go check out some stores and see what feels and sounds good to you.
Play whatever feels most comfortable for you and suits your style of music. Obviously picks are better for punk-ish stuff and some styles of rock. Don't think of an instrument as a guitar with two less strings. It can do a lot that most people don't give it credit for. Once you get better at bass, instead of just pounding root notes you can find a way to play some melodic lines that compliment the guitars/whatever the main melody instrument is, while still keeping the rhythm.

Here's a little breakdown of the 2 main bass playing styles. Ones with an * are a bit more iffy, since these are things I hear a lot of other bassists say, but for the most part I don't think this.
Fingers
1) More painful. You'll get a lot of blisters on your right hand. A LOT.
2) Easier to transition to different techniques (slap/pop, tapping) You can still do this with a pick, but you'll probably just have to drop/tuck it away somewhere until you need it again
*3) Easier to switch strings. At least for me, I can't do any string skipping with a pick.
4) More "mellow" sound than a pick. Also described by some as "round" or smooth.

Pick
1) Less painful. This is a plus.
*2) Easier to sing and play. Again, this is pretty subjective. I think it depends more on the person. But, I do notice most bassist/singers don't use their fingers as often as they do a pick.
3) More treble and attack. It can make for a cool tone if you're mixed properly, but you do lose a little of the low end on bass using a pick.

As far as an actual bass, just go play them at a guitar store until you find one that you like the sound/feel of. Pbass pickups cut out the mids in your sound a bit, while Jbass pickups focus a bit more on the mids. Humbuckers/soapboxes are just awesome (IMO)

So, hopefully this is helpful to you. Have fun.
Quote by Sudaka

i must say that i'd choose fingers over picks everyday, but there are very good bassist that play with picks.

BTW, i was in the same situation as you are now a month ago.

First, if you want to get advice of what bass you should be looking after, please say what's your budget.
Second, you'll need a bass amp too, cause you should never play bass through a guitar amp... you may danmage the speakers and it won't sound that good anyway.
Third, please search for a good teacher, it'll help you a lot, and will give you the tips to develop as a bassist beaaring in mind that you know something since you played guitar.
Fourth, please read the FAQ (completely, if possible), it will answer a lot of questions for you (did for me).
Fifth, if you need more help, please don't hesitate to ask... i found pretty good advice here at the bass forum

Hope i helped
You did help very much
And I pretty much just want reviews on that specific bass
I love fender
Quote by fenderfreak100
You did help very much
And I pretty much just want reviews on that specific bass
I love fender

i'll give you my experience... but please bear in mind i'll tell you about the basses I liked the most and that is obviously subjective and different for everybody.
I've tried:
cort action dlx (excellent looks, not that nice sonud)
squeir standard P bass
squier standard J bass
Washburn t24 Taurus (excellent looks again, but i didn't like the feel and it sounded a bit too dark for me)
squier frank bello's signature bass
ibanez gsr200
and the chosen one, squier vintage modified jazz bass ' 70

the ibanez felt cheap all around, though the neck felt ok. it had no particular tone for me.
the standard were both nice, just the VM is nicer.
I was between the VM and the Washburn, but ended up with the VM because it sounded a brighter and well balanced, and i also liked the feel of the neck better.

the thing is, try as much basses in your budget as you can... and some more expensive basses will also help choosing, even though you won't end up buying them...

as you played guitar before, you'll be able to tell what sounds better, so it's up to you and your taste. try some basses and come back to tell us what you've found
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2