I'm looking for a tube amp that I can use for metal... It'll be my first tube amp and I'd like to keep the price under 500. I posted an ad on kijiji and I got an offer for a Peavey VTM120 for $350.

I play mostly metal but I like other styles too. I have a Zoom effects pedal though so would it matter anyways? Also if I only buy the head do I also have to buy a cabinet or is it fine on its own?
You have to buy a cab, the head alone does not produce any sound. Also you'll blow up it's output-stage if you run it without a cab. Having a good cab is just as important as having a good amp by a way - don't cheap out on the cab or you'll regret it.

VTMs are nice for some old-school rock and metal. A boost in front wouldn't hurt, but depending on what sorts of metal you play, you may not need one.
^ beyond the fact that that guy/gal has a pink pony for a avatar, his/her post is accurate imo.

now normally i'd say to avoid information spouted by a species confused cartoon person but this is the one case you can take that information to heart.

agreed.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
That is an old school tube amp mid 80's, I think. They're pretty cool but probably won't have enough gain on tap for metal. I would think that your Zoom would take care of it. You will definitely need a cab to play through. There are no speakers in the head.
That Vypyr tube 60 is a combo.. You would not need a cab for that. And as few stated, the VTM is indeed a great old-school amplifier, definitely better than the Vypyr IMO.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

The Vypyr Tube 60 you linked to is a combo, so it's got a speaker built-in and is ready to go. There is also a head-version of it available, if that's of any interest.

The Vypyr Tube models are a pretty popular choice for metal on a budget - but there's also a few people who don't like them, and then many of us don't need all the options a modeller offers. I haven't tried it personally, just going by what I've heard/read about it.
Now, if it's got the sound(s) you want at a price you can afford, it sure is a good option.

If you can afford the VTM and would have, say, 200-300 left for a cab, I'd rather go with the VTM, but that's just me.

Quote by gregs1020
^ beyond the fact that that guy/gal has a pink pony for a avatar, his/her post is accurate imo.

now normally i'd say to avoid information spouted by a species confused cartoon person but this is the one case you can take that information to heart.

agreed.

Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 7, 2011,
The Vypyr seems to be everyone's first suggestion around here. Personally, I hate them. They sound tinny and digital to me. That being said, I would suggest you go out and try one yourself just to see what you think. In fact, I would suggest you go out and play every amp you can get your hands on to see what you like. Also, if you aren't playing live, there's probably no real need to buy a head and cab. You're probably better off buying a combo (there are some who would argue that you're better off with a combo regardless but that's a different argument). For your budget, I would highly recommend looking at a Jet City, it should give you everything you need and fit nicely in your budget (might even have a little left over for some other toys!!).
The VTM is a sweet amp. Its essentially a JCM 800, with a few mods its one hell of an amp
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
First of all, you need to define "metal" for us to really help you. You'll need a totally different amp for playing Judas Priest than you will for Suffocation. "Metal" as a term is completely useless since there are so many subgenres now.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X