I hate making these threads, as the sound I want is subjective to my ears, but I am stuck.

I want a Distortion pedal that is Versatile. I am not looking for the brutal Metal, but close. I also want it to get a good general grunge sound. I want a unit that gets a decent Nirvana sound, as well as being able to get into Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Lamb of God, etc... I have limited board space, so I only want one pedal to do it all for me. None of the sounds have to be dead on, just something similar.

I would like it to be true bypass, as every other pedal on my board is. Budget is $100 or less, I can spring for a bit more if I have to, but if there is a $50 pedal that does the trick, that is great too.

Setup: Hand Built Strat with Tonerider Generator HB Pickups or Epiphone Les Paul Custom with Dimarzio PAF's>Modded TB Crybaby>BBE Freq Booster>MXR Fuzz 108>DeltaLab RD1>True Bypass TS9 (808 Modded)>EHX Neo Clone into either a Hot Rod Deluxe or a Marshall Class5.

If there are suggestions of how to use my current gear for the sound, that would work also.
digitech sc-2 seems like a great pedal. I haven't checked it out for myself yet but there are some good videos on youtube for it.

It cost $100 though.
I have been intrigued by that pedal, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Anyone know about the Delta Lab Metal Distortion?
True Bypass only please... And I dont want a shitty sounding distortion unit that costs $100.
First of all, there probably isn't going to be a pedal that can do all of those sounds even remotely well. Secondly, there's no way in hell that there is one that can do all that for under $100. I'm not familiar with Line 6 pedals, but I believe they have some modeling pedals, or something like that... maybe look there?

Another note unrelated to the pedal thing is that if every pedal on your board is true bypass, your tone is going to suffer. You need a good buffer in there somewhere. And honestly, as far as tone is concerned, Good buffer > True Bypass > Bad Buffer.

Unless you want your signal to decay as it goes through your chain, of course. But I don't see why anyone would want that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I want a unit that gets a decent Nirvana sound, as well as being able to get into Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Lamb of God, etc...

And I want penis enlargement pills that actually work. But it ain’t gonna happen. If you want all those tones you have to either buy a lot more than one distortion pedal or settle for a modeling unit.
You should be able to get Nirvana by overdriving your Fender.
The only way you are going get the metal tones are with a distortion pedal.

Now unless you can find a pedal with both of those in it...

For $100, its not happening bud.
Maybe the EHX - Metal Muff. It's not the be all and end all by any means but it is a decent pedal for under $100 (I think they are around $80). The only thing is it's not true bypass. It has enough controls to shape your tone. I have the Micro version and I am able to get quite an array of tones out of it. It's not perfect but it's good and versatile enough to a point. But like users have already said you really need a bigger budget for something really versatile.
Green Screamer-$30
Metal Muff-$60-70

Thats probably the best you can do.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Green Screamer-$30
Metal Muff-$60-70

Thats probably the best you can do.

I back this idea
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Offworld92
First of all, there probably isn't going to be a pedal that can do all of those sounds even remotely well. Secondly, there's no way in hell that there is one that can do all that for under $100. I'm not familiar with Line 6 pedals, but I believe they have some modeling pedals, or something like that... maybe look there?

Another note unrelated to the pedal thing is that if every pedal on your board is true bypass, your tone is going to suffer. You need a good buffer in there somewhere. And honestly, as far as tone is concerned, Good buffer > True Bypass > Bad Buffer.

Unless you want your signal to decay as it goes through your chain, of course. But I don't see why anyone would want that.

That is a bad misconception. There is no reason there would be any noticeable decay in signal when it is running through a series of True Bypass pedals that are all off, its just extra cable, and while there will be a tiny bit of decay, it wont be audible at all. At least with this many pedals. If we were talking 10 or more pedals, then a buffer might come into play.

You all seem to treat me like a noob, I know a lot about pedals, but Metal (aside from Nirvana being in my list) and Metal Distortion is my weak point, its like a second language since I am a blues man.

I already have a Tube Screamer, so I probably wouldn't get a Green Screamer, but I am looking into the Metal Muff, Digitech SC-2, and MXR '78.
Last edited by Wylde_Life at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by Wylde_Life
I have been intrigued by that pedal, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Anyone know about the Delta Lab Metal Distortion?

i have the Deltalab pedal and i'ts a good choice for metal on a budget. the tone control os very responsive and thedistortion sounds pretty good. since you have a bigger budget i'd go with the EH Metal Muff or one of the Digitech Hardwire Distortions though.
Ibanez TS-7 with your amp's natural overdrive. Mod it to 808 specs and use the TS9 side with the gain around noon with your amp's natural overdrive for some old Metallica tones (mind you I'm using it with a medium gain amp nearly maxed out). Switch to the Hot side for Slayer. Make sure you turn the tone knob all the way up for Slayer, and bring some more mids in with the amp.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Grawgos
Can you afford an extra 30 bucks and get the barber dirty bomb?

Probably, that thing sounds great. I watched the video on ebay, very interested.

Quote by Vendetta V
I'd say may be Hardwire metal distortion? I tried it at the store the other day and it wasn't a one trick pony to me actually! I'd nab that pedal anytime if I needed a distortion pedal

I might try one out, I have to make a trip to GC soon, I really like the Hardwire series, just unfotunately haven't gotten to use one yet.

The truth is, I get a decent Nirvana tone out of the RD-1, as well as a general Anthrax/Metallica tone. The problem is it doesn't scoop very well for LOG, Megadeth, and Slayer. I planned on getting a unit to actually go in its place, so I didn't have to add another pedal and another length of cable.

I also have a Blackstar HT-Drive, it just isn't on my board because I don't really like that pedal. I hate the tone when I put it into anything but my Acoustic B20 Bass Amp...
I guess I will entertain some GOOD buffered bypass pedals, it cannot hurt I suppose. I mean, I get a tiny bit of high-end loss with my chain, nothing to the point of muddy, but I want to expand my options a bit.

What about the T-Rex Totenschlager? I really like the built in EQ and the clips I have heard from it, I am just worried about their buffer... Everyone always says Ibanez has really good buffers, but I hated the one on my TS9. I could easily tell when it was in my chain and not (by using a bypass looper) especially when used with my Fuzz Face, it tightened up the fuzz too much...
if yu want to go the overdrive route then the Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive is a good way to go. does the tubescreamer thing and has a mod switch for more gain. has a better eq set up as well that is very responsive. so far it has worked really well for me.
Mostly on the pure Distortion route. This will mostly be played through a clean Fender HRD, and I have OD's I like, but I will check the Digitech Tube Overdrive while I am there... It can never hurt to have a more versatile pedal.
I really like the Visual Sound TS for boosting amps. Great buffer to help your true bypass pedals and alot more output than a standard TS but still has all the tone of a 808. Very underrated TS pedal IMO.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I'm not looking for a pedal to boost an amp... I have a TS808 and a Treble Booster, I want a DISTORTION unit. I want the distortion mostly from the box and not the amps, the amps I am using aren't going to get the OD/Distortion I want for Metal.
Then buy one of the ones that have been rec'd here Or save for a good one. What more do you want from us?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I didn't ask anymore of you, in fact, the last thing I asked was about the Totenschlager, never once did I ask about OD's or trying to Overdrive my amp. I am open to more suggestions, but I would appreciate if the posters read the OP, thats not the first time a TS type pedal has been recommended, and if you read the first post, you will realize I have one. I'm not trying to be a prick, I am just looking for suggestions, and I am not meaning to come across as rude... stupid internet will not allow me to add my tone of voice so my words make me sound like a douche.

But, I just found a Metal Muff on ebay for a decent price, I am going to try that. They have a good buffer, correct? I plan to get rid of my RD-1 and probably the Freq Boost, 1 for space and 2 because the RD-1 would be obsolete and the Freq Boost just doesn't get used....
I came off harsher than I meant. And my TS suggestion was a response to another guy. Im aware of what you wanted and made suggestions earlier for that.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Ah, I see. And I also did not realize you posted earlier, sorry about that. Now lets just forget anything ever happend... and walk away.

EDIT: And now I feel ever more stupid realizing you were the one to get the Metal Muff idea in my head

Should be fun, I have tried Metal Muff's before and really liked them, especially since KFK uses one, I just got stuck on the whole True Bypass crap before realizing a good bypass is just as good and in some cases better.
Last edited by Wylde_Life at Nov 8, 2011,
no problem you are always going to get suggestions that might not be what you want or at least thought you wanted.

since you are going to GC i guess just try out the various pedals suggested and any others that are there. honestly that would have been the first thing i did and then if nothing was working out that i could try myself then i'd come here and ask.
Quote by monwobobbo
no problem you are always going to get suggestions that might not be what you want or at least thought you wanted.

since you are going to GC i guess just try out the various pedals suggested and any others that are there. honestly that would have been the first thing i did and then if nothing was working out that i could try myself then i'd come here and ask.

Well, truth is, I was just at GC on friday. I tried a ton of pedals, but at the time I wasn't too serious about buying anything, so I really didn't pay much attention to what I actually liked, I was just messing around... until I thought about it over the weekend and decided I wanted something new, lol. GAS.
Quote by Wylde_Life
Ah, I see. And I also did not realize you posted earlier, sorry about that. Now lets just forget anything ever happend... and walk away.

EDIT: And now I feel ever more stupid realizing you were the one to get the Metal Muff idea in my head

Should be fun, I have tried Metal Muff's before and really liked them, especially since KFK uses one, I just got stuck on the whole True Bypass crap before realizing a good bypass is just as good and in some cases better.

Yeah shit happens. I posted something else earlier that came off much worse than intended .

Just listen to some clips of the Okko I listed earlier and tell me you don't want to save for that beast.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent