So my band is going to start playing some gigs and I need the best amp available around 600$. Don't know much about amplifiers but I want one with awesome sound and loudness of course. I don't care about effects since I have any pedal I need for that, just want quality and loudness. Plan on buying it on ebay, what do you guys think?

Btw I play progressive rock/metal/hard rock and my guitar is a Semi-Hollow Ibanez AS-73 (if any of that helps), my sound is similar to early Rush. Thanks a lot for the help!
Peavey Classic 30 or 50 either should work.

EDIT: You will probably need an overdrive/distortion pedal for heavier stuff.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Last edited by Most_Triumphant at Nov 7, 2011,
^I'd agree with the Jet City 50
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
From my experience, B-52 amps are great. They sound similar to Mesa Dual Recs, (aren't quite as good, of course) but are affordable. You can usually find a used one for around $400-500. Don't get the ATX-100 head though, it's the same as the AT-100 just minus the effect loop volume levels.

Speaking of which, anybody know why they even made the ATX series?
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
guitar center has multiple used Carvin V3s for just over 500. most versitle amp you could ever have and does everthing well.
a Jet City for Rush? Come on now.

I'll +1 the Peavey Classic. Getting Rush tone is surprisingly similar to getting Pink Floyd tone - and the Peavey Classic works excellently for either on a budget. You're going to want FX to build on top of that.

Most importantly, a good quality distortion pedal. Possibly the MI Audio Crunchbox... Unfortunately distortion pedals aren't my forte, so I can't help much there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, if you're playing Rush, just get a five-finger discount on a nice new Hughes & Kettner amp.

As in the Alex Lifeson one.

May as well get a five-finger discount on an Alex Lifeson Les Paul while you're at it.
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
crate bv150. they can be found dirt cheap. idk what anyone says its an amazing head
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
a peavey valveking may be another option. the classic 30 is a good amp but the VK has a little more distortion on tap. i've gotten a pretty decent early Rush tone out of it using my Esprit (kinda a cross betwwen a LP and ES-335.
Quote by EspTro
crate bv150. they can be found dirt cheap. idk what anyone says its an amazing head

I wouldn't recommend Crate amps. I've had two (a crappy practice amp and a V30), neither of which I really liked.

Plus, they're not very good for the music he's playing. Just saying.
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
Quote by Juared
I wouldn't recommend Crate amps. I've had two (a crappy practice amp and a V30), neither of which I really liked.

dude every brand produces crap. u cant possibly judge the tone of the one im recommending with your reference to lower end ones.

blue voodoo series is amazing from crate... but probably the only good line they have had.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
dude every brand produces crap. u cant possibly judge the tone of the one im recommending with your reference to lower end ones.

blue voodoo series is amazing from crate... but probably the only good line they have had.

I thought the V30 was supposed to be one of their good amps...?
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
Quote by Juared
I thought the V30 was supposed to be one of their good amps...?

good is subjective. the v30 is pretty good from what i hear, doesnt mean u cant like it .

still backing blue voodoo's
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Abadinator
guitar center has multiple used Carvin V3s for just over 500. most versitle amp you could ever have and does everthing well.

Great option if he could afford a good cab to plug it into.

Peavey 6505 112 combo
Crate Blue Voodoo
Peavey Ultra
Peavey XXX 40w combo
B52 AT100
Carvin V3 combo

Lots of other things I could suggest if you have a cab.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Juared

Actualy the Crate BV is a much better amp than your B-52, sounds better to IMO.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
lol, just get my amp ( lol )

a H&K TriAmp can be found for 600$ when you look hard enough..

It seems like it's the perfect amp for you..

as for the crate: we have a wavefrex 65W ( or smth like that ) at school and it'san ok amp...

I don't know the valveking can get those kinds of tones.. the TriAmp is a much different amp.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
lol, just get my amp ( lol )

a H&K TriAmp can be found for 600$ when you look hard enough..

It seems like it's the perfect amp for you..

as for the crate: we have a wavefrex 65W ( or smth like that ) at school and it'san ok amp...

I don't know the valveking can get those kinds of tones.. the TriAmp is a much different amp.

he said he wanted early Rush tones which aren't that hard to duplicate. the VK wouldn't be the first choice for the later period stuff. for sogns like Working Man or Lakeside Park the VK does a pretty good job.
Peavey 5150 Combo, Mesa .50 Caliber / nomad / F50 / DC5 or Marshall JCM900 combo
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Quote by monwobobbo
he said he wanted early Rush tones which aren't that hard to duplicate. the VK wouldn't be the first choice for the later period stuff. for sogns like Working Man or Lakeside Park the VK does a pretty good job.

I don't know, i don't listen rush, they suck imo, damn bad tone imo...

but still great amp!! :P

don't get the 5150/6505 nor the marshall, the DC5 is much better IMO...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Offworld92
a Jet City for Rush? Come on now.

Quote by RockJohnnyBrol
...my sound is similar to early Rush.
He never said he wanted to replicate the tone exactly. A Jet City would be perfect for his uses.

TS have a look into the JCA5012c, as that will give you a similar sound to older Rush and can do heavier stuff too. The 5012, NOT the 5212. The 5212 is open-back and doesn't have the gain that the 5012 has, not good for the heavier stuff.