I have one acoustic guitar, it's a hand me down "Alvarez" I got a long time ago. I've recently began playing acousticly, specifically latin-esque playing...

Anyway, my main questions are what are the real differences, pros and cons of nylon vs. steel strings, and also, can I put nylon strings on any acoustic guitar? I can't recall ever seeing nylon strings on guitars with tuning pegs, I always see them on classical style acoustics that have the horizontal white things.

Any help would be appreciated, I know I'm not even using like proper terminolgy, etc.
Thank you
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Nylon strings require less force to fret. They also sound a lot different than steel.

Can you put nylon strings on a regular acoustic guitar? I'm sure you can, but why would you want to? One of the things you'd have to address would be the truss rod. On a regular guitar, the truss rod is providing tension to keep the neck relief from being wrong. Nylon strings won't create nearly as much tension as steel, so you'd have to compensate for it. Personally, I think you'd be better off buying a guitar designed for nylon strings. By the way, never install steel strings on a guitar designed for nylon strings. You'll destroy the neck.

Your terminology was fine. I knew exactly what you meant.
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I have one acoustic guitar, it's a hand me down "Alvarez" I got a long time ago. I've recently began playing acousticly, specifically latin-esque playing...

Anyway, my main questions are what are the real differences, pros and cons of nylon vs. steel strings, and also, can I put nylon strings on any acoustic guitar? I can't recall ever seeing nylon strings on guitars with tuning pegs, I always see them on classical style acoustics that have the horizontal white things.

Any help would be appreciated, I know I'm not even using like proper terminolgy, etc.
Thank you
...You mean the tuning pegs?
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Thank you for that...
I thought I knew but I'll ask for clarification...specifically I've been learning some Gypsy Kings songs. For those who aren't familiar with them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNgSeJzLJFc

I think I see classical style acoustics there, but I'll just ask. For this kind of music, which strings would better suit the style??
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I'm seeing a lot of nylon stringed guitars in that video. For that type of music, I'd recommend what they're using.
You might like silk and steel strings as an alternative to plain nylons, nice sound from them too.