Hey guys,

So I have a pretty good deal on some gibson sg special pickups that I'm debating on putting in my epiphone special II (my cheap guitar which I mainly use just to mess around on). The epiphone currently has the stock humbuckers in it (Epiphone 650R/700T). It'll cost me a bit of money, but I love gibson SG's and am thinking this could be a way to improve the quality of this guitar.

Any thoughts on this idea? Think it will make a significant difference? Is it worth spending the dough on these pickups to put in this guitar, considering how cheap it is? Or am I better off just saving my money?

Thanks
I'd save the money, the pickups account for a fairly small percentage of the guitar's tone, and an even smaller percentage of your overall tone, so while there would undoubtedly be some difference, I don't think it would be big enough to justify the work/cost.
If you did get the pickups though, you would always have them to put in another guitar in the future I guess.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
If i were you i would buy the pickups and install them, then if you realize it was a mistake just resell them on craigslist.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Kinda what I'm thinking of doing. Right now I can get both the 490R and 490T pickups for 65$ second hand, where they could cost 200$ new. Could be worth the money at that price, and then I can either sell my old ones on kijiji after, or re-sell the SG pickups.
Quote by Teh_Guitarer
Kinda what I'm thinking of doing. Right now I can get both the 490R and 490T pickups for 65$ second hand, where they could cost 200$ new. Could be worth the money at that price, and then I can either sell my old ones on kijiji after, or re-sell the SG pickups.

490R and 490T's aren't known to be the best pickups out there but i imagine it would be a huge improvment on your epiphone, pending that you have a decent amp.

i have 490's in one guitar, and honestly they are only there because that guitar is a 1/400 Gibson SG, no way in hell i would mod that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Gibson pickups will be a little better quality than the Epiphone ones. But they're voiced the same and pickups alone will not make that guitar sound like an SG. The Gibson pickups aren't meant to capture any specific Sg sound, they're just generic humbuckers that Gibson put in lots of their guitars and the Epiphone pickups are already made to copy them.

A pickup change can certainly improve your tone but you're better off chosing pickups that are made with a specific play style or tone in mind rather than jack of all trades pickups like the Gibson ones.