planning to mod a guitar so that it will sound like tom delonge. soo...i was thinking. Ibanez XP300 with Seymour Duncan Invader in bridge, Gibson Dirty Fingers in neck. thoughts? opinions? improvements? suggestions?
Quote by EpicHeadshot
Do you have a half decent amp?

haha, i don't know the meaning of "decent". if by decent you mean "marshall 100watt" then nope. i have a traynor dg10 with a boss ds-1 (i prefer the overdrive over the ds-1)
what kind of tom delonge sound are you looking for exactly? the only blink 182 stuff i remember wasn't exactly remarkable.
Quote by Necronomicon
what kind of tom delonge sound are you looking for exactly? the only blink 182 stuff i remember wasn't exactly remarkable.

yea blink 182. i like them. don't judge. and uhh pretty much everything from the first album to the latest
not only am i looking for the blink sound but with the sound of another pop-punk band like sum 41. reason i have the invader in the bridge is cuz i like it. not sure about the dirty fingers though. Maybe I'll change to JB SH-4? I want opinions on the modification, not the band i like.
dude relax we're not dissing your band i just honestly don't know what tone you're talking about here, it's really just a kind of basic distorted...thing you're after from what i can see. I don't think you should really be worrying up stuff like pickups to be honest.. but hey if that's what you want that's what you want. maybe look up tom delonge and see what he actually uses to start off with? last blink stuff i saw years ago he was playing a strat with single coils IIRC
Strat+ invader. Also mesa triple rec and Jcm 900.

But just to prove a point: and

Tom: That's a hard one, because you could have a great sounding guitar and a sh---y amp and it would still sound pretty good. But the main thing that I think a lot of people don't realize is the pickup in their guitar is the number one thing that needs to be changed. I mean, if you have a good fat beefy pickup, it can make a sh---y amp sound much better. But if it's a sh---y pickup then the sound is going to suck from the beginning!

Tom isnt exactly the tone guru, he just owns good equiptment.
are you looking for pre-self titled or post self titled?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by EpicHeadshot
Strat+ invader. Also mesa triple rec and Jcm 900.

But just to prove a point: and

Tom: That's a hard one, because you could have a great sounding guitar and a sh---y amp and it would still sound pretty good. But the main thing that I think a lot of people don't realize is the pickup in their guitar is the number one thing that needs to be changed. I mean, if you have a good fat beefy pickup, it can make a sh---y amp sound much better. But if it's a sh---y pickup then the sound is going to suck from the beginning!

Tom isnt exactly the tone guru, he just owns good equiptment.

Um... Don't listen to him. Just don't.
Everything stated was true. Not gonna start a tone discussion but a better amp is indeed required here.
I think it's safe to say though that Tom has gotten better about his tone. I think he sounds much better now using Fender Deluxe Reverbs's and Vox AC30's.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Last edited by RealGuitarHero at Nov 7, 2011,
what's your budget?
Quote by barden1069
Quote by EpicHeadshot
Everything stated was true. Not gonna start a tone discussion but a better amp is indeed required here.

If it weren't for the fact that you were misleading someone that needs help, I would've not even bothered to call you as wrong. Through awful amps, even if you have an amazing guitar, it will still not sound great. There's a reason for the "spend more on your amp than your guitar" generality around here.
Quote by Wisthekiller
If it weren't for the fact that you were misleading someone that needs help, I would've not even bothered to call you as wrong. Through awful amps, even if you have an amazing guitar, it will still not sound great. There's a reason for the "spend more on your amp than your guitar" generality around here.

Theres a reason I laughed at Toms comment. You need to learn to read.
Quote by EpicHeadshot
Theres a reason I laughed at Toms comment. You need to learn to read.

I read the entire thread before posting. I see that you asked about his amp and then suggested two very expensive ones. After that, you said the pickup comment.

And I see no comment from Tom.
Why would you put a dirty finger in the neck position? its a bridge pickup. i play pop/punk and hardcore and my neck pickup is pretty much just there for show. as in a never use it and if i do i use the selector as a kill switch
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by Wisthekiller
I read the entire thread before posting. I see that you asked about his amp and then suggested two very expensive ones. After that, you said the pickup comment.

And I see no comment from Tom.

You missed a full paragraph Tom Delonge quote?
budget for amp? less than 350$ (financial situations. don't ask). uhh I'm not much a fan of dirty fingers as much as i am of an invader so it's on the neck pickup. @Travs2448, if it's there for show take it out, it will sound better (idk why it just does, well with my guitar anyway) dirty finger in the neck for blending different tones, invaders are better.
Jet City JCA 20h and 1x12 cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate