Hi, i hope this is the correct section to post this request, if not i apologise in advance.

I am trying to find out a couple of things and am hoping someone here would be good enough to help me out with them.

Firstly. i would like to know what key an acoustic guitar is uned to, as in, what key is it when all the strings are played open.

Secondly, could anyone please tell me, where i can find a simple chart to show me what key the guitar in is when the capo is placed on different frets, from fret 1, through to fret twelve.

I have found three examples on the internet, but they are all showing different keys for the same frets, this is so confusing, i would really appreciate someone helping me with this,

This is one of the examples i have found, could anyone perhaps tell me if this below is the correct one.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

no capo : key of D
capo 1 : key of D sharp (sharp noted by #)
capo 2 : key of E
capo 3 : key of F
capo 4 : key of F sharp
capo 5 : key of G
capo 6 : key of G sharp
capo 7 : key of A
capo 8 : key of A sharp
capo 9 : key of B
capo 10 : key of c
capo 11 : key of C sharp
capo 12 (an octave) : key of D
Quote by Zundap
Hi, i hope this is the correct section to post this request, if not i apologise in advance.

I am trying to find out a couple of things and am hoping someone here would be good enough to help me out with them.

Firstly. i would like to know what key an acoustic guitar is uned to, as in, what key is it when all the strings are played open.

Secondly, could anyone please tell me, where i can find a simple chart to show me what key the guitar in is when the capo is placed on different frets, from fret 1, through to fret twelve.

I have found three examples on the internet, but they are all showing different keys for the same frets, this is so confusing, i would really appreciate someone helping me with this,

This is one of the examples i have found, could anyone perhaps tell me if this below is the correct one.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

no capo : key of D
capo 1 : key of D sharp (sharp noted by #)
capo 2 : key of E
capo 3 : key of F
capo 4 : key of F sharp
capo 5 : key of G
capo 6 : key of G sharp
capo 7 : key of A
capo 8 : key of A sharp
capo 9 : key of B
capo 10 : key of c
capo 11 : key of C sharp
capo 12 (an octave) : key of D

The guitar is not really in a "key" when it's strummed in standard tuning. A key is more or less determined by harmonic content. You could potentially say it's in a no sharps, no flats environment but that would be mostly meaningless. The tuning, EADGBE is straight perfect fourths (except for the G to B).

As for the chart, learn your music theory. Keys are a pretty easy concept to start with. The list of capo changes you showed simply shows that every time you up the capo one fret it raises your key one half step. So if you're playing in C and put a capo on the second fret, your same chords are now in D, even though you're playing the same C shapes.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Nov 7, 2011,
The notes of the open strings taken together are consistent with several keys.

The notes EADGBE are all diatonically included in C maj / Am, Gmaj/Em, and Dmaj/Bmin, but a big part of the virtue of standard tuning is that it gives you easy access to a large number of chords/keys relatively easily because of the large number of open position chords.