Yes
18 35%
No
28 54%
Only bros are athletes
6 12%
Voters: 52.
Well Pit?

Do you consider bodybuilders and those who train only for aesthetics rather than function to be athletes? Or do you not? Or do you?

Poll comin' at ya
If you have big muscles, your body has function, aesthetic or not.

And yeah, I consider people who dedicate their life to being in optimal physical condition to be athletes.
Competitive bodybuilders; yeah. They use it for an athletic function.
Simply aesthetic gainers? No. They're just pretentious. Like people who learn to play some common chords so the girls all sit round them in social gatherings.
yes. lifting weights is indeed a sport, despite the little brain activity it involves.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Well bodybuilding is a sport so that would make them an athlete.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

Simply aesthetic gainers? No. They're just pretentious. Like people who learn to play some common chords so the girls all sit round them in social gatherings.

Nothing wrong with that bro.
This thread reminds me of that david_safc guy who claimed he had a "sheet of aesthetic muscles". That was a fun thread.

Found it.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1439176
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by SkepsisMetal

This.
You have to put in as much effort into being a top bodybuilder as you have to into being a top sprinter, etc.
Quote by So-Cal
Bodybuilders? no
Weight Lifters? yes

this.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by SkepsisMetal

What's wrong with wanting to look fit and have a nice body? I think that's more of a personal issue than an aesthetic body building issue. Who wouldn't want to just look good and have a nice body? When I stop competing in running after college I'm still going to lift and train because I like feeling and looking fit.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Trowzaa
Nothing wrong with that bro.
This thread reminds me of that david_safc guy who claimed he had a "sheet of aesthetic muscles". That was a fun thread.

Found it.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1439176

Never said there was anything wrong with it
I do weights, that serve no function than so I don't look like the lazy, uncool gamer that I am But I'd never call myself an athlete.
Same as I'd never call those other guys musicians.
Now that I think about it I was thinking of Competitive Weight Lifters instead of bodybuilders. Bodybuilding competitions are basically beauty contests. That being said I would consider them athletic since they need to regularly lift weights.
Last edited by rockr09 at Nov 7, 2011,
No. The physique requisite for bodybuilding competitions does not infer athletic ability. It infers maximal musculature and minimal bodyfat.

Olympic weightlifters however, yes to a degree. Powerlifters... maybe, but to a lesser degree.

My definition of athleticism is strength, power, and speed through various movements, movement techniques (ie. running, jumping, etc), and in different directions. That being said, I also don't classify someone who is just a runner as an athlete, or someone who just lifts weights.

To me "athleticism" implies a certain degree of well-rounded physical ability.
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Nov 7, 2011,
Quote by piszczel
This.
You have to put in as much effort into being a top bodybuilder as you have to into being a top sprinter, etc.

I put a lot of effort into my philosophy degree. Doesn't make me an athlete. So clearly "effort" isn't the criterion.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Never said there was anything wrong with it
I do weights, that serve no function than so I don't look like the lazy, uncool gamer that I am But I'd never call myself an athlete.
Same as I'd never call those other guys musicians.

(I meant there was nothing wrong with playing chords to get chicks <.<

But no, I don't think they're athletes unless they compete, they're just glorified exercise enthusiasts.

An athlete competes. If they're not competing, then they're not an athlete. It's not a bad thing. Everyone should work out or do something to be healthy. They're just not athletes.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
What's wrong with wanting to look fit and have a nice body? I think that's more of a personal issue than an aesthetic body building issue. Who wouldn't want to just look good and have a nice body? When I stop competing in running after college I'm still going to lift and train because I like feeling and looking fit.

This.

And the "guy who knows just a few chords" analogy isn't that great. Of course that guy is horrible at guitar. Bodybuilders and weight lifters both will not see success unless they completely know what they are doing, and that's if you see them as being different.

There's nothing wrong with trying to make your body look good. Music, on the other hand, requires an emotional understanding.
Quote by So-Cal
Bodybuilders? no
Weight Lifters? yes

How do you think body builders build muscle?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by So-Cal
Bodybuilders? no
Weight Lifters? yes

/Thread
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Panasonic3
yes. lifting weights is indeed a sport, despite the little brain activity it involves.

You obviously have no idea how complicated weight lifting/bodybuilding can get then.
I lift weights, i dont compete, so no. I just dont see why you would want to look like a genetic freak.
Quote by jambi_mantra
How do you think body builders build muscle?

I assume he means competitive weight lifting.

Quote by Panasonic3

Go ahead, lift some weights without thinking about it.

1) You'll hurt yourself. Probably badly.
2) You'll see little progress
3) Chance of death
Walk into any gym on the east coast and you'll never hear the word "bro" said so many times in your life as you'll hear when you're just walking into the damn place. Every other word people say there is "bro", even when they're talking to girls.

In orders words, it's strictly bromosexual.
Quote by Trowzaa
I assume he means competitive weight lifting.

I do indeed. Thank you good sir.
Quote by MiserySignals11
Walk into any gym on the east coast and you'll never hear the word "bro" said so many times in your life as you'll hear when you're just walking into the damn place. Every other word people say there is "bro", even when they're talking to girls.

In orders words, it's strictly bromosexual.

Could it be...

Heaven?

Quote by Dreadnought
No. The physique requisite for bodybuilding competitions does not infer athletic ability. It infers maximal musculature and minimal bodyfat.

Olympic weightlifters however, yes to a degree. Powerlifters... maybe, but to a lesser degree.

My definition of athleticism is strength, power, and speed through various movements, movement techniques (ie. running, jumping, etc), and in different directions. That being said, I also don't classify someone who is just a runner as an athlete, or someone who just lifts weights.

To me "athleticism" implies a certain degree of well-rounded physical ability.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love you Dreadnought