Being a nice guy is fine, just as long as you're confident and not a pushover
76 59%
Being a nice sensitive type is good.
12 9%
Other
5 4%
Voters: 129.
Page 1 of 2
So, I've been using the internet for a while, and various message boards, humor sites, etc.

It seems like the internet, and in particular, forums, are popular (although not exclusive) to social outcasts. Often times referred to as "nice guys" who have trouble with girls and being social/popular. Nothing wrong with that, as we all have flaws and can't be perfect.

So when I was in the internet like 07 or 08, it seems like forums sympathized with the nice sensitive guy. Others were stupid and didn't understand the nice guy.

Lately, it seems like the internet (and Pit especially) have been embracing of the "Assholes finish first" philosophy. Nice guys are insecure pussies, and confident assholes get what they want, as they should.

Now, most of us probably aren't totally on one side of the spectrum, but here's the TL;DR.

TL;DR? With girls, social life, etc. Are you more on the philosophy sympathizing with the nice sensitive guy? Or the confident asshole?

EDIT: This is somewhat similar to my cynicism thread (sorry about that), but the topics are pretty different imo.
Last edited by The Madcap at Nov 7, 2011,
Quote by The Madcap
"Assholes finish first"

/thread.

Me? I'm the sensitive, philosophical asshole who gives good advice after berating you on your problem until I've run out of jokes.
Quote by StewieSwan
Being nice is gay

You said it brotha. If you aint man nuff, Super Weenie Hut Jr. is that way.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I sympathize with nice guys to an extent and I hate confident assholes. Nice guys who aren't annoyingly apathetic are okay.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
There's no need to be an arsehole, note: there is a difference between being an arsehole and giving them a cheeky comment to keep them on their toes.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I strive for a happy medium between the two. I have no problem calling someone out on their bullshit, and sometimes I'm okay with responding to dickery from others with superdickery from myself. But I don't try to be all aggressive and "alpha" and whatever for it's own sake. There's a fine line (okay, there's a big fat glow-in-the-dark line marked in every major atlas since before I was born) between being confident and being a dick.

So I guess Option 3 on your poll.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Nov 7, 2011,
There's nothing wrong with being a nice, sensitive guy, so long as you don't let bitches walk all over you.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by due 07
Fixed that for you, gayboy!

This.
I'm just a nice guy
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
I am the stereotypical nice guy, but I think that people who are assholes when they need to be are the ones who finish first. The guys who are assholes all the time crash and burn once they get in their 20s from what I've seen. If you think about it there is a good reason for guys who are assholes sometimes 'finishing first'. Its simply survival of the fittest, in most cases us nice guys are weaker either physically, mentally, or both. Assholes project confidence and strength, the alpha male if you will. Of course women want to select them to repopulate. It also applies in business, there are plenty of nice successful business owners, but every one that I've met had that bit of cutthroat survival mentality to them that some may interpret as that person being an asshole. I am speaking in generalities of course, but in my life I have found this to be the case most of the time.
Quote by due 07
Fixed that for you, gayboy!

Shut up, you...hetero?
Check out my band Disturbed
There's a difference between a nice guy with asshole tendencies, and an asshole with nice guy tendencies. I'd say the former is the best place to be.

I'd rather be a nice guy who gets nothing than an asshole who gets everything.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Depends, when I'm going for a girl I see as this; If you're always nice and never a dick she'll friend zone you, so you gotta throw in joking dickish comments every once in a while.

But in general I'm a either really quiet or a loud douche. Just depends on the environment I'm in.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
While I am definitely more of the nice guy, when I meet girls, I put on the front of an asshole and will be a jerk. It usually works. However, it's not me, so nothing usually lasts.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
I don't think I'm
either one of those.
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
What the fudge does TL: DR mean?
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

Quote by The9
What the fudge does TLR mean?

Too long, smile, retard.
Check out my band Disturbed
Oh wait, does this involve social as well? I'm an absolute twat to my mates, it's all banter.

Quote by I.O.T.M
There's nothing wrong with being a nice, sensitive guy, so long as you don't let bitches walk all over you.

This. All the way. I used to be a nice guy and still sort of am but you have to stay on your toes and keep other people on theirs. Otherwise you will get no respect.
Quote by tortilla
I don't think I'm
either one of those.

i havent
seen you post
in
forever
i was starting
to miss
your sense of
modern poetry

Last year: Had no confidence, 3 friends
This year: Have confidence, have a bunch of friends, and a bunch of girls who like me but I don't like them so I rejected them, mad swag doe
Last edited by Kevin19 at Nov 7, 2011,
I've learned the best way to be is: confident, chill, sensitive, not clingy, caring, and humorous. Shit works
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
Quote by Kevin19
i havent
seen you post
in
forever
i was starting
to miss
your sense of
modern poetry

I've been on
alot of medication
so its hard to do
anything let alone
get on UG.
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Quote by Kevin19

This year: Have confidence, have a bunch of friends, and a bunch of girls who like me but I don't like them so I rejected them, mad swag doe

Brilliant, sir.

I'm not a nice-pushover kind of nice, I'm the nice-I'm-not-going-to-be-a-dick-to-you-unless-you're-a-dick-to-me kind of nice.

I like your threads, I was reading the cynicism one in my comm tech class this morning. Sort of on this topic, I sort of felt self-concious being on UG at school. Feels like I'm the only pitmonkey forum guy in my class
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Quote by Butt Rayge
Being a nice guy has led me to a 0% success rate.

There are undoubtedly other variables which have led to your poor success rate.

OT: You need to know when it's acceptable to be an asshole and when it's socially conducive to be nice. It's better to be a "nice guy" in the long run whereas being an asshole may lead to more immediate gratification followed by a horrible crash and burn.
Being a nice guy is fine, just as long youre confident and not a pushover.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I know sometimes I can be an extreme asshole, but usually I try to be nice and calm to everybody. I like nice people, and people like nice people, nobody likes assholes.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by Kevin19

This basically applies to me too.

OT:
Nice guys finish last.
You're running out of gas.
Your sympathy will get you left behind.
Sometimes you're at your best, when you feel the worst.
Do you feel washed up, like piss going down the drain

Green Day is surprisingly useful with angst and girl problems.
you're a stone fox
Quote by RU Experienced?
There are undoubtedly other variables which have led to your poor success rate.

OT: You need to know when it's acceptable to be an asshole and when it's socially conducive to be nice. It's better to be a "nice guy" in the long run whereas being an asshole may lead to more immediate gratification followed by a horrible crash and burn.

Actually I just realised I'm a total cunt.

I'm just not like that when I find somebody I like. I switch from 'opinionated arse' to 'mr sensitive.' I can't be a cu
nt to somebody I like, can I?
Quote by SkepsisMetal
/thread.

Me? I'm the sensitive, philosophical assholewho gives good advice after berating you on your problem until I've run out of jokole es.

Oxymoron

Quote by Butt Rayge

I'm just not like that when I find somebody I like. I switch from 'opinionated arse' to 'mr sensitive.' I can't be a cu

I'm a cunt to people I like, unless I really like them a lot.
Quote by Butt Rayge

I always draw them in by being amicable and then gradually increase my asshattery until I'm insufferable to be around once I've already pervaded their social sphere.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I always draw them in by being amicable and then gradually increase my asshattery until I'm insufferable to be around once I've already pervaded their social sphere.

boy that sounds suspiciously like me
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Page 1 of 2