Poll: Are kids these days maturing faster?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are kids these days maturing faster?
Yes
14 37%
No
24 63%
Voters: 38.
So is Generation Y maturing faster because of the availability of resources such as the internet or is this new technology making them mature slower?
Slower in the sense that by the time you were in your late teens in previous eras you'd be expected to take on the responsibilities of an adult, whereas now I know of people in their late 20s and beyond who still act like spoilt children.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
No, take note of the 18 year olds on xbox live who get pissy when you kill them and resort to name calling.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Physically, girls are

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Far slower.
At least in the more advanced Western cultures.
Though I'd be skeptical to put it down to technology on it's own.
There's an 11 year old with the Medal of Honor.
Back in medieval times and earlier, people that age and younger were raised and trained faster for responsibilities that would barely be entrusted to teenagers these days.
I think it's more of a catalyst which pushes them in the direction they'd normally grow. The kids that would mature quickly will mature very quickly, and the kids who would mature slowly mature very slowly.

For example, we have 13-year-olds debating philosophy, while next door a 22-year-old is is calling kids faggots on xbox live.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by SkepsisMetal

Back in medieval times and earlier, people that age and younger were raised and trained faster for responsibilities that would barely be entrusted to teenagers these days.

yeah, slower, childhood is permitted to be extended far beyond what it used to, to the best of my understanding of it
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
No, we're living in a blame culture void of responsibility, reminiscent of bickering children.
Check out my fitness blog here
From what I can tell, they are growing up too fast with not enough time to mature.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
I think most kids are not maturing faster but exposed to mature materials and adult content at a much earlier age. They try to enter the adult world at a younger age but do not quite grasp what they are throwing away to get there. The period between child and adult seems to be shrinking at an alarming rate.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Personally, I don't know where I'd be had it not been for the internet. I learned about all kinds of cultures and philosophies on the internet, that I would have never known about otherwise. Had it not been for the internet, I'd be just like all the other sheep this country is plagued with.
Yes, and no. Yes, because children are becoming more aware of sex/super gory violence/drugs/swearing at a much younger age then even 10 years ago. No, because these same children want to have all those above stated things to be "cool" as the media portrays it. While they do that they have an increased sense of anti educational feelings and a lack of responsibility.

Thanks Wikipedia

Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate how a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctive, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act appropriately, according to the situation and the culture of the society one lives in.

This is the maturity that children are starting to never receive.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Last edited by Most_Triumphant at Nov 7, 2011,
Kids think they are growing up faster, but in terms of maturity, responsibility, and just acting like a real adult (not just doing adult things like trying to go clubbing at age 15), I'd say kids are behind.
People at my middle school do drugs and have sex if that's what you're asking.
you're a stone fox
Both. Compared to ten years ago I'd say yes in the sense that those of us that don't have insane parents are exposed to "reality" at a much younger age. Compared to a hundred years ago, probably not.

What StewieSwan said applies too.
this thread assumes that Maturing=Growing up..which is not true..

I would say that kids are "growing up" at the same rate that always have...

I would say their "maturing" as I define it, more slowly than they used to, but thats just how I see it.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.