So I've been looking into Reaper and it says that I should get an interface if my soundcard isn't designed for recording. So my question is: would the Line 6 UX1 be a good, cheap interface with good tone options without running an amp? And is Reaper a good idea if I'm using POD farm anyway?
I use all 3 and it's a great setup if you don't plan on doing any actual recorded drums. I can get some awesome tones with POD Farm 2.5 and ReaEQ, especially with the metal shop pack. And I'd say using POD Farm as a VST in Reaper is much better than running it standalone as rather than using the EQ Line 6 provides, you can use your own. Plus if you come up with a sweet idea, all you have to do is press record :P
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Depends what you plan on doing with it?

Reaper + POD Farm is fine. Whether the UX1 will fit your needs is up to what you need
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
My needs are just recording guitar, bass and vocal tracks in my room and importing decent sounding midi drum tracks. Any tips on that? Also, with that combo, is it worth the $200+ US I'd be spending?
Sure. Are you going to be recording DI, or micing amps?

For the price of a new UX1, you could get a Focusrite Saffire 6 new on eBay, which has much better mic preamps than the UX1 (not to mention, it has 2 preamps WITH phantom power, so you could run a condenser mic on it for vocals, and many more routing options). You might not get POD Farm with it, but the standard version of POD Farm isn't very good anyway. You can download free VST amp sims from TSE, LePou, AcmeBarGig, etc. that are far better than anything POD Farm Standard can put out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd be DI as I don't have the microphones or the money for the microphones atm. What's wrong with POD Farm? What mics would you recommend on a tighter budget?
I got a Line6 GX as a first interface (until it broke down on me for no reason after a year)
and it came with POD Farm as well.

I have to say I never use POD Farm. Like never. It's ok if that's your only option for right now, but as for amp simulators, I'd go with Amplitude or Guitar Rig.
Quote by Wraithbound
I'd be DI as I don't have the microphones or the money for the microphones atm. What's wrong with POD Farm? What mics would you recommend on a tighter budget?

There's nothing wrong with it persay, it's just not nearly as good as what is available for free out there (legally). The amps in the model packs are great on POD Farm, but the Standard version is pretty poor.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok guys, thanks for all the input. Another interface has been brought to my attention. M-Audio fast track Ultra Usb 2.0. Does anyone know how this one compares to the one I'm looking at?
Quote by Wraithbound
Ok guys, thanks for all the input. Another interface has been brought to my attention. M-Audio fast track Ultra Usb 2.0. Does anyone know how this one compares to the one I'm looking at?

The Focusrite Saffire 6 is far superior to either interface you're looking at and is in a similar price range (provided you order off eBay, as I stated earlier).

The Fast Track and the UX1 are about equal in terms of sound. Nothing to really write home about as far as the mic preamps go on either one, but at the same price or less, I'd definitely go with the Fast Track if I had to choose. It has phantom power on its mic inputs, which the UX1 does not.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Why is the Saffire any better than the Fast track? I'm just curious as to what the difference in quality is.
Quote by Wraithbound
Why is the Saffire any better than the Fast track? I'm just curious as to what the difference in quality is.

It has much better mic preamps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Doesn't the Fast Track have more preamps? Also, how noticeable is the difference in sound quality?
Quote by Wraithbound
Doesn't the Fast Track have more preamps? Also, how noticeable is the difference in sound quality?

Sure, assuming you're talking about the Ultra, but more doesn't mean better.

The Ultra is also ~$350, for that price, you could get a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 B-Stock on eBay that has twice the mic inputs of the Ultra and will completely blow it away in terms of sound quality.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Wraithbound

It smashes it into the dust.